Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #13849
yes i am, the area where the rear ladder is attached--i am also concerned about the ladder being loose, it isn't that bad but the other motorhome and trailer we had were much tighter and i have a bicycle rack that i hang on the ladder to take a bike with us--i was going to call customer service about both items but wanted some other opinions before i called, thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #22

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you cut a shoe box in half and imagine the box is the area of your truck cab and the lid is the Thor cap...the cap sets over the "aluminum channel" just as the shoe box lid sets over the box and rest on the truck cab roof. Fasteners are installed from the inside, horizontally along the padded area where your privacy curtain fasteners are. If you can remove the decorative trim from this area, you might be able to access the area where the fasteners are (or are missing). I didn't get to see how the aluminum channel is attached to the truck roof but I would imagine it's from the inside with fasteners in a vertical position, up into the aluminum channel. There is also flat trim installed along the roof across the front and both sides where the cap meets the body. Hope this helps...have you called CS to see if they can send you a drawing specific to the attachment process of your unit?
Nice sketch. I'm sending you some crayons.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Nice sketch. I'm sending you some crayons.

When I was a little kid (I'm a big kid now) I used to eat crayons...it made my turds look like little rainbows. I would trade them to the girls for a peek at their panties. I wonder if that would work now at the campgrounds?? It might get me free camping at some of these places!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #24

State: Michigan
THOR #13849
Anyone else have "puckers" on the top of the rear panel??
Old 01-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #25

Model: Outlaw 35SG
State: Texas
THOR #1655
F-550 cab cap separation

Had a similar issue with my 2014 Outlaw Super C. The dealer found that only three fasteners were screwed in to hold the over cab cap on. I recommend you make sure you have all the fasteners installed before another trip.

As mentioned on this forum previously, this was one of over 100 quality items I had to address, and one of the most serious. Most of them I can correct myself but this cap problem needed someone who knew how it should have been installed.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 35BB
State: California
THOR #4693
Had same problem a year+ ago with my 2018 Chateau F550. First time noticed rain water on the above-the-driver-seat bed.
The vehicle was on the manufacturer warranty still, but the dealer blamed Ford. Although Ford acknowledged the fault, they refused to pay since their 90 day warranty on sealants already expired. Since it was the middle of camping season, I had no time to walk through all these labyrinths of bureaucracy and payed the dealer out of my pocket.
When I inspected the results of "repair", I understood that it would not last long. The dealer just added additional sealant layer on top of the old one.
Few months later I noticed a strange sound from the cab. Here what I found:

Sorry, I can't attach images. Adding Dropbox link does not work either...
Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 AM   #27

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkjr View Post
Have any of you Super C owners experience the fiberglass cab over separating from the Ford F550 roof? Just drove up from Seneca s.c. to Connecticut. First noticed cold air blowing in above my head when driving. After getting here on inspected the cab over and found I can lift it off the truck roof.

We did while we were traveling through Alaska. Fortunately, ours was still under warranty, so we took it back to the dealer, who fixed it very well. Our dealer said they'd never seen such a thing -- maybe, maybe not -- but they did seem as disgusted with Thor as we'd been.

Kim
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #28

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
I found that most of the screws where backed out, and some fell out. These went from the Ford roof and threaded into the bottom of the Thor cab over. Was able to see after I removed the inside trim..
Looking forward to my Thor visit this coming February. Hope they can fix it.
Edk
Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #29

THOR #13982
Quote:
Originally Posted by super stock racer View Post
yes i am, the area where the rear ladder is attached--i am also concerned about the ladder being loose, it isn't that bad but the other motorhome and trailer we had were much tighter and i have a bicycle rack that i hang on the ladder to take a bike with us--i was going to call customer service about both items but wanted some other opinions before i called, thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
My ladder was really loose also, I was afraid to use it. The factory tightened it up the first time I went back to Indiana. But it's loosened up again.
Edk
Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #30

THOR #4693
Ok, I've figured out how to add images.

Here what I've found:

All fasteners got out of their places, looks like wrong type was used. It looked to me fasteners used were too thin. Oncoming wind pressure plus vibrations plus improperly spread sealant and I've got this nice picture.
I am not sure still whether it is Thor design flaw or assembly guys curved arms. Or both.
I was damnably reluctant to dо it at our dealer (it is Davis, CA, La Mesa RV branch, the worst service in USA I ever met). Fortunately in law - a really handyman - came to stay with us for couple months. He encouraged me to fix it it ourselves.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I found that most of the screws where backed out, and some fell out. These went from the Ford roof and threaded into the bottom of the Thor cab over. Was able to see after I removed the inside trim..
Edk
Do you think that you've got the "situation" stabilized to the point where your RV won't suffer any further damage?
Good luck next Month: please let us know how this all works out!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #32

THOR #13982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovAlex View Post
Ok, I've figured out how to add images.

Here what I've found:

All fasteners got out of their places, looks like wrong type was used. It looked to me fasteners used were too thin. Oncoming wind pressure plus vibrations plus improperly spread sealant and I've got this nice picture.
I am not sure still whether it is Thor design flaw or assembly guys curved arms. Or both.
I was damnably reluctant to dо it at our dealer (it is Davis, CA, La Mesa RV branch, the worst service in USA I ever met). Fortunately in law - a really handyman - came to stay with us for couple months. He encouraged me to fix it it ourselves.

That looks exactly like mine especially on the driver side. Did the verticle seam above the drives door going up to the roof bow out, mine did.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #33

THOR #13982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you think that you've got the "situation" stabilized to the point where your RV won't suffer any further damage?
Good luck next Month: please let us know how this all works out!
I used 2" 3 M Extream tape across the whole seam at the roof.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #34

THOR #4693
Quote:
That looks exactly like mine especially on the driver side. Did the verticle seam above the drives door going up to the roof bow out, mine did.
Mine separated on the whole roof coming from about 1/3 driver door length from it's back to about same point on the passenger side, may be a bit smaller, like 1/2 length.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 AM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I used 2" 3 M Extream tape across the whole seam at the roof.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #36

THOR #11130
Quote:
Edk

Please keep me posted as to your factory visit. Those guys are very honest and get the job done. Ask them about the history of this issue, when and if they discovered an inherent problem and what they changed to resolve it. The tech that did my work performed a full inspection of the front cab area and said all was OK. I had some white paint starting to show at the upper seam (about 8 inches from top down) on each side where the cap meets the body, which looked like separation. He found it was the fault of the paint shop not letting the sealant dry enough before painting over it. They made cosmetic repairs and all is good.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #37

THOR #13982
Finally getting back to Thor for long anticipated roof separation repairs.
See what they say tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #38

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I’ll be watching this..... I have a regular Class C Outlaw 29H. I’m waiting to here from Thor about scheduling a visit to deal with a leak in that area.

My cab over bunk and walls are dry and we never find water after heavy rain (like last night) but once in a while when I start driving after it has sat for a while water starts dripping down the back of my neck.

Dealer said it was the slide window not having a seal from the factory. I picked it up in March and first trip in April it leaked again in the same place.

Water has to be getting in around the cab-over somewhere and pools up and then when the rig moves it ends up dripping out of the back of the headliner.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #39

THOR #13982
Looks like 1 to 2 weeks for repairs, so will be going back home to wait for the call.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #40

THOR #11130
Did they indicate what caused it...as in, something overlooked in assembly or a failure in design, etc.?