Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE
State: Washington
THOR #4257
Bulbs burnt out on Rocker Switches

I have a 2014 Tuscany and several of the incandescent bulbs have burnt out way too soon. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement bulb (prefer LED). The dealer wants $50.00 for a switch. I found the manufacturer of the switch, but they want a minimum $250.00 for bulbs, OUCH.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #3090
Bulb burnout

I probably won't be much help but we have a 2013 Tuscany that also has multiple bulb burnouts on our rocker switches. I assume you are referring to the switches on the left of the door as you enter.
We had our burnt out ones replaced by the dealer soon after we purchased it. Wasn't more than a couple of weeks before they started to fail again. Right now we have 4 of the 10 that remain working. I too would love to replace mine with LED
Where or what manufacturer did you find that had the rockers? Are your rockers individually labeled?
I will be interested to follow this to see if there is a sensible resolution or if we are bound for no lights.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 AM   #3

THOR #4257
Burnt our Bulbs

Yes, I am referring to the same switches. I have 8 of them with only three lights still working. Their is no way to turn them off so they burn pretty much all the time unless I hit the battery disconnect switch.

I took out one of my switches and found the manufactures name (Carling Technologies) and switch part number (V8D1). Then searched the web and found Kim at Digi-Key Electronics (they are a distributor for these switches). She is working on the issue. She has non-lit switches at around $10.00 each and is currently researching a replacement LED switch. I am sure they will not have the labels on them, but the caps on the old switches may be removable so I can attach them to the new (if found) switches.

I will keep you posted as to what I have found. It may take a few days. I was hoping that someone else had already done this work and had a solution. I am sure that most if not everyone with a coach older than two years has had multiple lights burn out.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
The switches on our 2016 Axis are not lighted. Perhaps Thor learned the hard way and has discontinued the use of the lighted switch.
It will be interesting to see what others with new coaches similar to yours have to say.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #5

THOR #4257
I just ordered a replacement switch. It has an LED light with another non marked (Step Cover) cap. I have been told the cap is replaceable. We will see. I also found where I can purchase replacement LED lights. After I receive my new switch, verify that I am getting what I expect, then I will take apart my old switch and verify the side of LED needed. My next step is to purchase some LED's and replace the current incandescent bulb.

If all go's well (and even if it doesn't), I will report back my findings.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I was at CW last Friday and saw replacement switches that had a dimmer switch built in.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

THOR #4257
Doc,

Did you happen to get any information on the manufacturer?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

THOR #4257
Found a replacement

I found a replacement for the switches. Went online and found the manufacturer "Carling Technologies". Then found that Digi-Key is a distributor for the rocker switches. I emailed them and received a cross reference Part# 432-1094-ND for the Step Cover switch. I ordered one. It has two LED's but I will only be using one, which is what is need anyway.

I plugged it into my existing base connector terminal after bending a couple of the leads on the switch. The new switch has a slightly different case than the original. I had to bend a couple of the switches terminals in order to plug it into my existing base connector.

After verifying the switch works, I have now ordered several more switches and decided to order new base terminal connectors. I could have simply cut off the extra leads, but it did not cost much more for the new base terminals.

The caps of the switches are removable and interchangeable, so I also ordered a cap removal tool to make sure I do not damage the original caps when removing them. The total order came to just over $75.00 which includes 8 new LED rocker switches, 8 new base terminal connectors and the cap removal tool.

I should have everything by the end of this week and hopefully get them installed in the next couple of weeks. Once everything is complete, I will post pictures of the final product, and all the part numbers.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

THOR #3090
Burnt out rocker lights

Thanks burq57! Went to the site and see what you are describing. Will be looking forward to the pics and final analysis of the replacement.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #10

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Burq57,

Just got back in from trip to the Mountains (no RV this time). Glad to see you got your switches taken care of. I will be heading over to CW next weekend to pick up a couple of things. If the dimmer switches are there I will probably get me two or three.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #11

THOR #3090
Burq57, have you completed the replacements? Any problems? Just checking b4 I order up mine.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 AM   #12

THOR #4257
I put them in. Found out that the wiring is not always wired the same for each switch. A standard bulb does not care about polatity, but LED bulbs do. I burnt out two before I realized the problem. I have not ordered replacements yet, but intend to later this year.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3790
All Bulbs not lighting

We had only one bulb out that was for the ceiling lights. I removed the switch and now all bulbs are not lighting. Does any one know where the fuse is located for the panel of switches that keeps them lit all of the time?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

THOR #3090
All bulbs not lighting

I'm not sure there is a single fuse for the lights. At least for us I know there are not any. Of course if someone knows otherwise I would be interested cause I would pull it and eliminate the burn out issue.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #15

State: Iowa
THOR #6176
My 2013 Tuscany 45LT has 4 or the 8 burnt out. Can the switch face be removed without breaking? Any further solutions to the issue? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #16

State: Iowa
THOR #6176
Rocker Switch

Is this the incandescent replacement? Would the existing cover fit these?
Thanks for any help!
Hope the attached file is displayed
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #17

THOR #3090
Bulbs burnt out on rocker switches

My understanding is that there is a tool that will remove the cover and they are interchangeable with the LED replacements. Burq57 may know more regarding this. Here is the website he purchased his through.

V8D2UHNB-AAC00-000 Carling Technologies | Switches | DigiKey
Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #18

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Texas
THOR #4396
Thanks for this information. I was just pulling the panel from my Tuscany to check the 5 of 8 burned out bulbs. This was timely and helpful. Before I go online and place the order, a couple of how to questions that you might can help with
1 - There is a tool to pull the switch cover and replace on the new switch to preserve the labeling? Assume that comes from the same supplier?
2 - Does the switch come with an LED light or did you order and swap the light bulb separately? If it was a separate step, can you get by with just buying the LED bulbs and installing them in the existing switches?
3 - There was a mention of the terminals on the new switches being different than the existing ones. Assume you can take something and cut off the extra terminals?
4 - Sort of unrelated - do your rocker switches on the panel next to the driver get incredibly hot when driving? Mine don't seem to be lit so I'm not sure what generates the heat but it is a lot of heat.

Thanks for your guidance
Old 03-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #19

THOR #3090
1. It is my understanding the tool can be purchased from the supplier of the switches.

2. The switch comes with the LED light. The incandescent lights that burn out are not replaceable.

3. Not sure about the cutoff of terminals. I would think you should find the exact terminal configure for replacement. If in doubt, call them to verify.

4. I've never checked this. I will though next time we move.

Burq57 you have anything to add?

Also, check Amazon for the switches. I found one(haven't checked for others yet).
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Texas
THOR #4396
Thanks Martini Chuck. I'll do some more research on the replacement switches. Minor issue but annoying. On the dash switches, I answered my own question last night. They light up when the headlights are on. I drive with the lights on but very rarely after dark so don't notice. I think the heat comes from the lights. Ironically none of them have gone out.