Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
QAM is the TV standard used by cable TV companies to encode and transmit digital channels. If your TV is QAM compatible, it means that when connected to a cable signal (using a cable TV cable with RF connectors that plug into that socket shown on another post, your TV will be able to decode and display digital cable channels without a converter box.

If your TV is not "cable compatible" (able to handle a QAM signal), you can buy QAM converter boxes. Search Amazon to see them. But these days, even the cheapest TV's RV companies buy are QAM compatible.

When you change your TV's settings from "antenna" to "cable", you're enabling its QAM functionality.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #22

State: Ohio
THOR #6223
The Seiki TV's that Thor puts in are not QAM. I just replaced one of mine with a smart TV that is QAM. Eventually I will replace the other two in my Axis 24.1.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgdmsn View Post
The Seiki TV's that Thor puts in are not QAM. I just replaced one of mine with a smart TV that is QAM. Eventually I will replace the other two in my Axis 24.1.
Its kind of random: Whatever is in stock the day they build your coach is what you get. Sometimes the pile of TVs has QAM tuners, and sometimes it doesn't. They probably buy them in bulk and when the pile gets low the buy another batch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Alabama
THOR #5212
Seiki TVs are crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
Our favorite campground just upgraded their cable TV system and our Sieki TV's are not compatible. They are not digital capable. Is that your issue?
Looks like it's time to upgrade TVs or enjoy the campground lol
for a couple of hundred dollars I got a dish Network Playmaker off eBay for 150 and bought the receiver from dish and cut on when we go use it!!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 34.1
THOR #3494
A Seiki tv"s are cheap and will not receive Digitial cable signals. Replace them.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #26

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
THOR #5060
I think you mean 'QAM tuner'... It's normally a module in your TV, however some Seiki TV's that come in several Thor RV's do not have one. The QAM tuner is needed to de-modulate the digital TV signal that comes over the cable in some RV parks and resorts.
kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #27

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Search this site for Seiki tvs. When Thor first started using these pieces of junk there were plenty of questions .

When the USA converted to digital tv, the cable companys transmitted some channels as analog for the older no digital tvs. That's the signal that we have been seeing (channel numbers like 2-0, 4-0, etc). Cable companies are now dropping this signal, and transmitting just digital. QAM tuners can decode this.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #28

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Most of the Seiki TVs do not have a QAM tuner. This becomes a problem as many campgrounds upgrade to a digital cable system. IOE, there are 2 solutions.

1. Upgrade your tvs to ones that have a QAM tuner. Here is some help in understand which sets have that QAM tuner.

2. Use a digital to analog converter box. This is much lower cost solution and you can tie the box into your HDMI cabling system. Biggest issue is that you have another box and a box must be used for each tv. Here is a link to one we purchased: https://www.amazon.com/IVIEW-3200STB...=qam+tuner+box.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Search this site for Seiki tvs. When Thor first started using these pieces of junk there were plenty of questions .

When the USA converted to digital tv, the cable companys transmitted some channels as analog for the older no digital tvs. That's the signal that we have been seeing (channel numbers like 2-0, 4-0, etc). Cable companies are now dropping this signal, and transmitting just digital. QAM tuners can decode this.
You have it backwards. Analog cable used channel numbers just like OTA TV at the time; 1 through 128 (or something like that). When TV went digital the channels both OTA and on your Cable TV were designated with a dot or dash between the numbers: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 or 3-1, 3-2, 3-3. But the TV had to have the QAM tuner to be Digital Cable Ready. Now, most cable companies are encrypting their signals so you need a cable box at each TV or the ability to insert a "Cable Card" into the TV. Few RV parks are at this point but some are.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #30

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think the bashing of any manufacturer simply because they use products in their RV manufacturing that somehow don't 'meet' your expectation, in a changing digital world that they cannot control, is a little unfounded.

First, make sure that you really 'know' how your TV that you are complaining about works, as most work the same, no matter the name or brand on the front. These are not units the factory purchased 10 years ago, they are new tvs.
Second, make sure that you understand the realities of the digital changes that both OTA providers and Cable providers have been going through, much REQUIRED by the government. We've been to many, many rv parks and campgrounds around this great country - only two that I remember have had any type of special 'box' requirement because of their Cable companies recent upgrade to their cable system - most are simply just plug and play.
Third, understand that RV parks and Campgrounds that pay money to provide Cable TV channels to their customers, at high fees, are not in the business of staying on the 'tip' of technological advances - it's not their business, just like whether their 'wifi' is what you might expect it should be. They may not have the latest equipment, or upgrades, even if you 'think' they should simply because they 'offer' you these benefits.
Finally, if you have such expectations that EVERY device and appliance in your new RV has to meet some 'expectation' of a certain technological advancement, or else it's 'junk', or 'cheap', then you have to only blame yourself for not checking these things out yourself BEFORE you purchased the RV. Blaming the factory later is just an excuse.

I get it that it can be annoying to not have everything 'work' as you might expect, but the reality is that it's par for the course. The factory may not build in a water pressure regulator into your coach's water system, yet there may be rv parks and campground that have high water pressure... it that the factory's fault? They may also not provide you an electrical power/surge protection device, which many of us purchase separately... is that because the factory is 'cheap'?
I say no. I say take your complaints about the 'cheap' or 'junk' tv and just go out and simply purchase the easy-to-attach QAM box and be done with it. It's not worth the argument here.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #31

State: South Dakota
THOR #7405
Been on the road over 1yr now, learned a lot the hard way. As it was explained to me by Thor the Seiki TV's (of which I have 3 on board) are not set up to receive "digital" signal from the cable provider.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
It is very simple to use the small box that I provided a link to in an earlier post. Cost is about $29. I have since upgraded my sets to Roku sets. Fairly inexpensive and a nice upgrade
Old 09-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Most of the Seiki TVs do not have a QAM tuner. This becomes a problem as many campgrounds upgrade to a digital cable system. IOE, there are 2 solutions.

1. Upgrade your tvs to ones that have a QAM tuner. Here is some help in understand which sets have that QAM tuner.

2. Use a digital to analog converter box. This is much lower cost solution and you can tie the box into your HDMI cabling system. Biggest issue is that you have another box and a box must be used for each tv. Here is a link to one we purchased: https://www.amazon.com/IVIEW-3200STB...=qam+tuner+box.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the link!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #34

THOR #10428
had tons of issues

I have a 2017 thor 31 footer. It has Seiki tv throughout the coach. Since I bought it last year had nothing but issues hooking up to campground cable service. Got myself a portable Direct tv dish that was a nightmare itself. Then purchased a self aligning one, that was better except in campgrounds with lots of trees. This was the most frustrating thing. Called Thor they suggested a digital converter. Got three from Amazon and this has corrected 90 percent of the problem. I even got programing at Disney World. I truly hope that this will handle all the problem
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site dingbat.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
I replaced the main TV in my Thor Vegas because of the QAM issue. Plan to replace the other two next year. Thor apparently put non-QAM capable TVs in their lower end units, so don't be surprised if you have to replace the TV in order to get full use of the cable systems provided at most Campgrounds. Also considering adding the portable DISH system, so the campground cable will be a non-issue.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #37

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Every time I read about this I wonder..... I get all the digital stations over the air just fine, i.e. 2.1, 18.2 etc. I have only hooked up to campground cable twice and both times there was no issue. I just changed the source to cable and scanned and watched whatever was on.

So my Seiki obviously does digital over the air. All three work just fine. The picture is good, quite good in my opinion (I own 5 sets at home, 2 Samsungs, one Sony, one Vizio, and one TCL and the pictures are all about the same.)

So when I hear "junk" and "poor picture" I don' get it.

My grandma said some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Go figure.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #38

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
NO, that is not the right button. But it should be close to that one. It is very small and as I recall is lit.

Actually, upon closer examination of your photo, this may be the right button. It is quite small and if not lit hard to see. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #39

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
my Seiki works on cable just fine, too... so does the Continuum, the Jensen, and the LG....though we've been to a park or two that said that their cable tv provider 'requires' a special cable box in order to receive their channels... on any, or all, of our TVs.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #40

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
Our favorite campground just upgraded their cable TV system and our Sieki TV's are not compatible. They are not digital capable. Is that your issue?
Looks like it's time to upgrade TVs or enjoy the campground lol
The 2016 Thor Siesta we had had Seiki TVs and those TVs DO NOT have QAM tuners, so newer Resort cable systems won't work with them. Most all modern TVs have QAM tuners but not Seiki...