Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #13002
Camping in freezing weather

I'm looking at going out in rather cold (-20F possible) weather in the mountains and I'm wondering if anyone else has used my specific model in such conditions.

If so, what did you do to prepare your rig for the weather. I have gray & black enclosed and heated holding tanks. There is a fresh water drain on the driver's side rear which is fully exposed and if that was to freeze/burst my fresh tank would dump out completely. I know I need to insulate it but that's not an easy task given the winding path it takes back to the fresh tank and insulation alone won't prevent freezing, only delay it.

I know I'll blow through the propane keeping the cabin warm enough to prevent line freezing internally so my duration out will likely only be a weekend at a time. Already looking at adding a tee to attach some 20Lb tanks as necessary but there is not enough room between the regulator and the asme output valve so I'm having a place quote it out for their pros (of which I am not) to do it.

I've got vent inserts ordered, a tiny electric space heater as a supplement for a key area (wet bin or under sink if needed), and a couple desiccant based dehumidifiers because I've heard how humidity can be an enemy.

It also seems like this kind of camping is done mostly with 5th wheel and travel trailers rather than with a class c. Is my ambition misplaced with this specific rig?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If your tanks (and the lines) aren't heated and protected from that cold: you WILL lose them...
Can you "camp dry", and store your liquids in the RV with you?

Godd luck: please let us know how it all comes together for you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with Bob. If you are planning only a couple days at a time in the extreme cold, I would carry the water inside the coach. You will find at that cold of temperature, you may have frost on your windows and/or window frames. Any snow you track into the coach will like freeze on the steps. The walls will be very cold. You will need extra space heaters inside the coach. I doubt you can keep the fresh water tank and unheated lines from freezing. It doesn't take long at 20 below.

I have camped at 15 to 20 degrees above zero for several days without issue but even then, I haul my fresh water inside the coach. There is just too much risk of damage in areas you may not even think of.

If you go forward, keep us posted as to how it goes.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Personally...I don't think any rig will survive -20F. My vote is NO! You're better of tent camping with an insulated cabin tent with a wood stove...and tons of wood.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

THOR #13002
re: dry camping

I do like the idea of dry camping or winterizing the rig for safety and just storing water inside and going without showers or washing dishes (hello, hot pockets). I do have a couple 5 gallon cubes which would come in handy for that.

I've also picked up a boot tray for inside to help keep the mess contained (if any; Colorado weather doesn't always associate snow and cold temperatures but many other places do) and I'm planning for temporary suction cup glove hooks in areas that can handle dripping water, like above the sink.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1537297015
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jackcicle.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	12889  
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Look into Mountain House freeze dried foods...excellent for your application and store well. They make single serve, zip lock style pouches you just add 2 cups of boiling water...wait 10 minutes and have a great meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner choices. No dishes. 30 year shelf life. Sounds like you've made the call...I would say stay warm but that might be impossible. Keep from freezing!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: they ARE good!

But then: I'm not that fussy about what gets shoved down my "pie-hole" anyway...
Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
FULLY Winterize. Use toilet by pouring Antifreeze in bowl not water. Take bottle water and hand wipes. Have a Good Time!!! I would be more concerned about batteries dropping in power? Take a small generator for jumping rig if needed.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7074
Great video and I agree with them Be Smart & Have Fun!
...My suggestion for getting out of the house in winter and testing your Motorhome in the Cold. This is an Awesome facility.

Pokagon is an Indiana State Park located in Angola, Indiana, on the shores of Lake James. Pokagon has both electric and non-electric campsites, as well as a youth tent area and group camp. There a two swiming beaches at Pokagon along with miles of hiking trails, a bike trail, a Nature Center open daily and the Potawatomi Inn and Conference Center. In the winter, Pokagon is home to a refrigerated toboggan run. Because of it is refrigerated, it does not need snow to go and is open from the day after Thanksgiving until the last weekend in February.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #12

THOR #11130
OMG...that video is like watching the unboxing of a swing set. It never would end. I thought for a moment she was going to explain what scissors are and what all you can do with them.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
OMG...that video is like watching the unboxing of a swing set. It never would end. I thought for a moment she was going to explain what scissors are and what all you can do with them.
You asked for it: (yeah its a toy but I couldn't find any "real" ones LOL)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You knocked it out of the Park; with that video!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1537309131
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	12893  
Old 09-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #15

THOR #11130
No kidding...HOMERUN!!! Jamie...you're not a Geek anymore!! Out of respect, I watched the entire video...what torture!!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #16

THOR #13002
I'm busy binge-watching that RV youtube channel that was first posted in the thread up there ^^. Thank you for that

I do like the freeze-dried meal ideas but the idea floated like a lead balloon with the other half. She did bring up the Costco pre-made meals as an alternative so we have something fresher and really tasty.

I am also torn on the heating now. On one hand, I have the RV furnace which would keep most everything warm however, do I need to spend so much propane keeping everything warm if I'm going to use it in a mostly winterized condition?

What is everyone's preference on furnace vs a couple of ceramic electric heaters or maybe a couple of catalytic based propane portable heaters? I see the drawback with a propane heater or furnace and humidity but I'd still be burning propane anyway running the generator for the electric heaters. It feels like there should be a positive trade-off somewhere I may be missing.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@tt View Post
I'm busy binge-watching that RV youtube channel that was first posted in the thread up there ^^. Thank you for that

I do like the freeze-dried meal ideas but the idea floated like a lead balloon with the other half. She did bring up the Costco pre-made meals as an alternative so we have something fresher and really tasty.

I am also torn on the heating now. On one hand, I have the RV furnace which would keep most everything warm however, do I need to spend so much propane keeping everything warm if I'm going to use it in a mostly winterized condition?

What is everyone's preference on furnace vs a couple of ceramic electric heaters or maybe a couple of catalytic based propane portable heaters? I see the drawback with a propane heater or furnace and humidity but I'd still be burning propane anyway running the generator for the electric generator. It feels like there should be a positive trade-off somewhere I may be missing.
When its really cold the propane furnace will eat up propane faster than a V-10 at 5000 RPM eats gas. On our first trip in our Axis it was 32F for the whole weekend and we burned through a tank of propane in just 2 days.

I would suspect that you'll want to use a combination of both electric and the furnace as it will just be too cold and you won't have enough blankets.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Get yourself some REALLY good sleeping bags!

You know the kind: they weigh about 70 pounds each, and are the size of a small car...

But you could sleep outside underneath your rig in one of them: if you had to!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #19

THOR #11130
Fuel is the challenge. A portable generator will run the electric heaters and require little gas. Propane would get sucked up in a day or so. How much room and weight allowance do you have for gasoline in jugs? Look at the Champion 3100 or 3400. It has a 30A plug and runs in eco mode to save gas.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Fuel is the challenge. A portable generator will run the electric heaters and require little gas. Propane would get sucked up in a day or so. How much room and weight allowance do you have for gasoline in jugs? Look at the Champion 3100 or 3400. It has a 30A plug and runs in eco mode to save gas.
If you have electric for ceramic heaters use all electric.

Tags
24hl, cold weather, four winds