Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Conflicting Information

The internet offers tremendous information, it’s to bad that not everyone agrees. I called Thor’s customer support for there input on slide-out jacks for use on long stays, and would it be problematic to lower bunk bed, on Vegas 24.1, only part way to use for some lite storage items. They okayed both, but online I am reading no to both. As far as the jacks, if weather conditions cause a change in RV height ( such as a rain storm if camped on grass or stones), the jacks could damage the slide. As far as the bed, if not lowered the whole way, it could cause bunk arms to bend, because motor is out of sync. So whose advice is correct, Thor or internet advice?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If it's on the Internet it must be true, right?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I think like most things in life..... there are few absolutes.

In most cases, Thor’s information is probably correct but under certain circumstances, there could be exceptions.

I generally do research from as many reliable sources as I can find and then apply common sense. Works out about 90% of the time..... as I said.... there are no absolutes! [emoji16]
Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The slide in a 24.1 is so small I would think jacks under there are more trouble than they are worth.

As far as the bunk: Sure lower it 1/2 way but when you store it again just re-time it at either end and you'll be good. (We carry an extra thick mattress for that bunk--over 6" thick. When we travel it rides on the rear beds but when camping its in the bunk, which means that we can't raise the bunk all the way up during the day. So we raise it up as high as we can to get the bunk out of the way and then when we lower it for overnight I re-time the motors by holding the switch a few more seconds at the lower limit of travel. No problems--our bunk has been trouble free for 5 seasons now.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I don't have a Vegas, but on my Hurricane the overhead bed sags down to the locking pins after a few miles of driving. I wouldn't ride around the block without those safety pins in place.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
As for the jacks, years back I bought a pair of the screw type from CW. I was to support the slide on a older MH. I now use them to support a table in my work shop.

I did not want to set them to tight as to raise the slide, nor to loose to fall down. Every time the MH moved alittle the jacks would fall down. I would go set them up again just to fall.

As my first hand knowledge about slide out jacks they are not worth the time nor money.

Can not help on the bed thing
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
It really wouldn't take too much to come up with an s-shaped pin (instead of the small straight pin) to lock the bed into place at whatever height you desire. We've already planned on having to do this, but it hasn't been on our priority list of things to purchase.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've seen some RVs with jacks under the slide, such as my parents, and while it may work just fine if the main RV does not move, if the RV does happen to have any movement, then the pressure exerts on the slide, and could cause issues...

as for the front electric 'schwintec' rail system bunk... letting it down 'some' is not an issue, the rails and motors don't really care. The only issue is that gravity tends to continue pushing down on the bunk, especially if/when someone puts their weight on it, or while traveling, causing one side or the other to move separately. When you then try to raise or lower it, the rails are then out of sync with each other.

We actually have two sets of rail stops in our tracks, one is the originally 'all the way up to the ceiling' set, of course, and the others I drilled about 16" lower to allow us to use the bunk as 'storage' while traveling, but still leaving plenty of headroom when entering the cockpit area. I use larger 'pins' installed in these new holes, and can easily remove them if I need to move the bunk. None of this makes any difference for the 'working' part of the system - as long as the sides remain somewhat even, it all continues to work just fine - we've never had a problem.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

THOR #2121
This picture is of MH for sale, and looks like bed was left part way down. Hard for me to say for sure if it looks low on passenger side or if it’s optical illusion due to camera angle being off center (closer to passenger side). This thread reminded me of this MH picture which stood out as a potential risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63F428AD-66CC-4067-8E03-ED5FD34457E2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	17909  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1559746788
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D984_46_162_1200.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	17914  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
I’ve got another case of conflicting information.
I wanted to know the weight limit of my fixed over cab bunk on my Class C.
I looked all over (I thought) for a placard and searched the Internet and my owners manual with no luck.
So, I contacted Thor Customer support via email. I got a quick response saying the weight limit is 300 lbs.
Well, soon afterwards I was in the RV and happened to move the privacy curtain for the bunk, and hidden behind it was the weight placard I had been searching for and had missed. It states the weight limit is 500lbs.
I’m not sure which source of data I should believe but tend to go with the 300lb limit
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #13

THOR #2121
I’d go with the 500 in writing. Besides, the beds are usually plenty large for a couple, and now a days most exceed 300 pounds. It’d be foolish to design for only 300 pounds.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: 500 pounds in writing; beats 300 pounds over the phone...