Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2018, 06:02 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
wrapped - 2 more thumbs up on the FH model. If we didn't need all the sleep spaces - absolutely!
When I saw my Granddaughters eyes light up when she saw the Bunks in the 37 TB I knew we made the right decision. I do like the FH model though !

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #22

Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
We absolutely love the 37KT floorplan, we found no other that has the separation and sleeping capacity. A class A also gives you the ability to start camping when you leave the driveway vs.towing a 5th wheel. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:51 AM   #23

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Maxjr758 - it must be a grand daughter thing. Ours LOVE their bunks and the drop down in front. Pappaw loves the bunks - you are not continuously setting some up and taking something down. Simple
Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It isn't a "kid" thing. I wish I did, but don't have grand kids. With that said, I think the bunk houses are as cool as they can be!! I came close to the BH model of the Super C but didn't like how it mandated other changes in the coach, like giving up the half bath. Bunks can also be termed as legal "Snore Quarters".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #13535
Wrapped I'm also interested in the FH. Can you tell me what the load carrying capacity is of your coach and will you be towing?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #26

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It isn't a "kid" thing. I wish I did, but don't have grand kids. With that said, I think the bunk houses are as cool as they can be!! I came close to the BH model of the Super C but didn't like how it mandated other changes in the coach, like giving up the half bath. Bunks can also be termed as legal "Snore Quarters".
Griz the 37TB has bunks, and a bath and a half ! We almost bought a Bounder bath and a half,but no bunks, but didn't. We stopped to "look at" A Georgetown bath and half, again no bunks, on the way to the International Quilt Show in Paducah, KY in April, pulling our 5th Wheel. They also had the Challenger 37TB, which when we saw it knew that was the one for us. The Basement compartments are great for me,as I have back and neck issues, and can access them easily even with the slides out.
We ended up trading our F350 King Ranch, and Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel for the Challenger.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #27

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I looked at that and a great floor plan. I started shopping in 2015 and my first and foremost requirement was diesel so it knocked it out. Second must-have was a totally "ready made" cab by a truck company. Third realization was the only thing fitting this bill was a Class C but they only offered gas engines. Took two years for someone to finally make a Class C with diesel. The single most favorite feature of the floorplan for me is the half bath.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #28

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Not sure if PILOT made his decision, but here is one more satisfied Challenger poster to read.

My wife and I were looking to upgrade and I wanted an Aria to get into the diesel luxury. But after seeing the 37KT model, that all changed. My wife absolutely loved the floor plan and it has worked out great. It does tow, but is loud when going up hills. I have passed diesel units going up the Cajon Pass, but they are probably talking to each other while we were just listening to the high revs of the faithful ford V10.

The best part of the 37KT is the large window by the kitchen table. For some reason many tables are on the UGLY side (hookup side) of the RV or no window at all. If you get a nice camp site with a view, it's great to have your morning coffee and look out that large window onto a lake or river. Camping at the Rincon Parkway is great, just look at the ocean. If you have a kid or guests, you can do this in the morning without ever disturbing them as the pocket doors isolate the entire front room.

One last feature my wife loves, is the rear window which diesels by design do not have.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #29

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Challenger model

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
My wife and I were looking to upgrade and I wanted an Aria to get into the diesel luxury. But after seeing the 37KT model, that all changed. My wife absolutely loved the floor plan and it has worked out great. It does tow, but is loud when going up hills. I have passed diesel units going up the Cajon Pass, but they are probably talking to each other while we were just listening to the high revs of the faithful ford V10.

We also have a Challenger (2017 LX) and we also found it quite loud going up hills. I installed Dynamat Hoodliner to the inside of the “doghouse” and it made a huge difference in the noise level in the coach. It took a few hours to cut and trim to fit the contours, but well worth the effort.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #30

State: Indiana
THOR #6252
Thank you for the post. I was wondering about engine noise and towing capability. Do you know if any one makes a engine compartment noise reduction kit?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #31

THOR #6252
Thank you for the thoughtful analysis
Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #32

THOR #6252
Quote:
Pilot - not sure why you're making the switch but gotta say lots of fiver owners watch us pull in and setup at a campground and go "dang, that was easy".

Before you make the decision gasser or diesel, make the decision about features and floorplan. We dry camp in Paradise (Key West) on average for 2.5 months each year. The features most needed for us are on board water storage - 100 gals Fresh, 80 gals Gray and 80 gals Black and basement storage. DW truly loves the coach and the dimension it adds of seeing our wide spread family. Also, DW won't be without her onboard shower (with lots of hot water) and washer/dryer that can do a load of wash every other day. Without the water storage, we'd still be looking.

Make a list of things that you'd like to have and that you gotta have. No other gasser and very few diesels, provided us the on board water storage or basement storage. We've carried 5 grand kids on 1.5 month long summer vacations. Couple that with our dry camping in Paradise and for us it was an easy call.

One last data point, we are both 70ish and spend about 9 months per year living in our coach.

PS: we pull a 2013 Ford Explorer - easy pull. Also, I had the noise discussion with some friendly diseil owners in a campground. I said "wait, wait, wait what is that noise?", they said "what noise" and said "exactly". When they're all parked in the campground, they all make the same amount of noise.

PSS: The newer floorplan for the Challenger FH looks great for adding room in the front. If we didn't need all the sleeping capacity...
Thank you. The info will be most helpful. About you age and I'm also an Army vet. Never forget!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #33

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Not sure if PILOT made his decision, but here is one more satisfied Challenger poster to read.

The best part of the 37KT is the large window by the kitchen table. For some reason many tables are on the UGLY side (hookup side) of the RV or no window at all. If you get a nice camp site with a view, it's great to have your morning coffee and look out that large window onto a lake or river. Camping at the Rincon Parkway is great, just look at the ocean. If you have a kid or guests, you can do this in the morning without ever disturbing them as the pocket doors isolate the entire front room.

One last feature my wife loves, is the rear window which diesels by design do not have.
Thanks. My wife also liked the table-side window. But, she especially like the pocket doors. Since I'm an early riser it would enable me to make a cup of coffee then shut the living area doors and watch TV or work on my PC without disturbing her. Plus if we had the grandchildren or another couple it would give them the privacy they want and still allow me to make a coffee and sit in the kitchen without disturbing anyone. She has fallen in love with the 37KT floor plan with it's 3 distinct area: sleeping, galley, and living.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #34

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
We have a 17 Challenger 37TB, and towed a 15 Ford Edge SEL on a Acme Ez-Tow tow dolly. It pulled great, only way I knew it was back there was looking in the monitor! Not much difference in mileage, and I pulled Old Fort Mountain on I-40 near Asheville, NC (7 miles of 6% grade) at a comfortable 50-55 mph.
In Tow/Haul mode coming back down that same grade was no problem, and I only had to brake a few times to slow for slower traffic.
We love the floor plan of the 37TB with the bath and half and bunks, and the basement storage is the largest, and Is the easiest to get to of any we looked at, gas or diesel. This was a big selling point, as I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran with Neck and Back issues, and I can get to all storage compartments with ease, even with the slides out. All utility compartments are between slides as well.
The V-10 Ford Gas with the 6 speed tranny is working for us, we love the floor plan, convenience, and the performance!
It has had its quirks, (see posts about Door Skins coming off) but once we got those worked out, it's a joy.Attachment 14367Attachment 14369Attachment 14370
Thanks, former US Army myself. Our 5er is still in FL in storage. We now live in IN. We will be going down to FL to retrieve it, but plan to snowbird a couple of months before we drive home wit the unit. I notice you have visited the FL Keys. That is something my wife and I have discussed doing for a couple of weeks this trip. Thought is to stop and camp just before Key West. We like full hook ups, since you have been in the area do you have recommendations for sites in the Keys that we can contact for openings? Thanks Jerry
Old 12-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #35

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
pilot - there are a number of commercial campgrounds in the Keys. Use RV Park Reviews to get an idea. The biggest issue we've seen with these campgrounds is the very tight spaces. There are some that have reasonable rates (at least for the Keys) but getting a reservation will require diligence.

If you go with the Challenger, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Compare the features and it is an easy call. If the diesel engine is important, the super C's might be a consideration. With all the time we spend in our coach, the issue for us was the storage.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #36

THOR #6252
Quote:
pilot - there are a number of commercial campgrounds in the Keys. Use RV Park Reviews to get an idea. The biggest issue we've seen with these campgrounds is the very tight spaces. There are some that have reasonable rates (at least for the Keys) but getting a reservation will require diligence.

If you go with the Challenger, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Compare the features and it is an easy call. If the diesel engine is important, the super C's might be a consideration. With all the time we spend in our coach, the issue for us was the storage.
Thanks. My wife loves the Challenger 37KT floor plan, and I also liked it. My main concern was the towing ability, which from the responses seems to be no major issue. So, it appears we will be going with the Challenger most likely this summer, once we have relocated our 5th wheel to IN so we can sell it. Appreciate all you help.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #37

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Thanks, former US Army myself. Our 5er is still in FL in storage. We now live in IN. We will be going down to FL to retrieve it, but plan to snowbird a couple of months before we drive home wit the unit. I notice you have visited the FL Keys. That is something my wife and I have discussed doing for a couple of weeks this trip. Thought is to stop and camp just before Key West. We like full hook ups, since you have been in the area do you have recommendations for sites in the Keys that we can contact for openings? Thanks Jerry
When we went to the Keys we stayed at the US COAST GUARD STATION on Marathon. They have 4 FHU sites and maybe space for a couple of dry camp rigs. I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran, so were allowed to use the Military Famcamps, which the Coast Guard STATION was one.
We drove down to Key West from Marathon in our F-350 King Ranch, which an adventure in its self as there were 3 Cruise Ships Docked at the time and the streets were packed with lookie loos ! Was going to take a pic at the Southern Most Point, but the line was over a block long ! About gave my wife a heart attack driving that F350 through the narrow streets filled with people ! Lol
Old 12-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #38

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
This is an old post, but will give my 2 cents. I was a 5th wheeler (Montana). Now have a 2016 Thor Challenger 37 LX. Only been on one trip, but it was a long one. We pull a Chevy Equinox. The V10 pulled it as good if not better than our previous Newmar Diesel Pusher. Only down side is the engine noise when going up a hill.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #39

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
When we went to the Keys we stayed at the US COAST GUARD STATION on Marathon. They have 4 FHU sites and maybe space for a couple of dry camp rigs. I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran, so were allowed to use the Military Famcamps, which the Coast Guard STATION was one.
We drove down to Key West from Marathon in our F-350 King Ranch, which an adventure in its self as there were 3 Cruise Ships Docked at the time and the streets were packed with lookie loos ! Was going to take a pic at the Southern Most Point, but the line was over a block long ! About gave my wife a heart attack driving that F350 through the narrow streets filled with people ! Lol

Thanks. I'm still trying to get benefits from VA. The forms are not easy to work with and unable to get any assistance. Once when we visited Key West it was packed, and in a Explorer it was difficult to avoid hitting someone so I can imagine it a F350. Thanks for your help. Good luck and have a very Happy Holiday Season.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #40

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingerosa View Post
This is an old post, but will give my 2 cents. I was a 5th wheeler (Montana). Now have a 2016 Thor Challenger 37 LX. Only been on one trip, but it was a long one. We pull a Chevy Equinox. The V10 pulled it as good if not better than our previous Newmar Diesel Pusher. Only down side is the engine noise when going up a hill.

Thanks, My main concern is the towing issue. It helps knowing the experience others have actually had towing various vehicles. Looking more and ore like my wife is pushing for the Challenger. Will check out sound proofing for the engine compartment. Now watching post to see what 3rd party suspension parts are most advisable.