Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
A.C.E. Suitable for full time living?

I would love to hear from all who own an ACE. How is it working for you? Could you live in it comfortably for.. say a month or two? What about cold weather? How does it handle on the freeways? How good is the build quality? We presently have a Coachmen Class C and are looking for something bigger and more comfortable as ours has no slides. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
We have a 2014 ACE 27.1 and were gone for about 70 days starting in January. It's just 2 of us and 3 small dogs. We didn't have any signs of "cabin fever" as we were able to get out most of the days. We usually take several trips a year in the 30 day range and been doing that for 3 years. I think full timing would be hard for us in the ACE or any other size RV. I know several people that full time in a 17 ft Casita and love it. I guess it is what you want to make work. We had a class c without a slide and that extra 2 ft when the slide is extended makes a world of difference.
We are in FL and the weather may be chilly in January and February but a small electric heater works fine. Sometimes I would fire up the furnace to warm everything up in the mornings.
It drives fairly well done the road at 60-65 mph. I had the front end aligned and took a few lbs out of the tires as we aren't anywhere close to max weight. The trucks push it some and so does 25 mph cross winds. You're driving a box down the road and you learn how to handle it.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have a new Axis 24.1 ... Have had 2 Class B/B+ and a toyhauler ... We do not have time to getaway for more than 2+ weeks at a time, ..the coach is great for the 2 of us and our cat. A slide in the living area, as opposed to bedroom, was a must for us.
We love to get out and explore and sit under the awning, weather n bugs permitting !
Comfortable bed and correct kitchen/living room setup is personal preference...so be sure to step back...look at many units...and make sure you are getting what you want.

I think we got it right this time !!!

Have FUN !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
We have full timed in our Infinity, Sooner or later you will "boondock camp" for an extended time. The size/capacities of your fresh/black/gray tanks & propane tank will dictate how long you can stay "off the grid" and how many showers you have available.

Also keep in mind that the coach really needs to have as much "outside" storage areas as You can get..You will accumulate more "stuff" as time goes on. and it is a trade off question as to "Do I want to have slides or do I want more outside storage".
We chose to have storage vs slides. (for things such as a small chest freezer, folding picknik table & benches,fishing poles/w tackle box, large tool box,extra hoses for sewer/water/& power. outside elevated fire pit, BBQ grill and the list goes on and on
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
I agree with what you say...outside storage is sooo important. I must say, this 24.1 has more storage than we have ever had before. A large cross back storage and many side compartments. We store our sewer hose under the coach, which frees up some space. We have a propane grill, and the necessary chairs, tables, etc. We have not done an extended stay in this new coach..there will be some additional items we will add.
One thing to take into consideration...if you have a toad or trailer, you do have additional space for 'stuff'.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I agree with what you say...outside storage is sooo important.
One thing to take into consideration...if you have a toad or trailer, you do have additional space for 'stuff'.
True that the Toadster is used for storing some things when traveling, BUT consider this, when you make a trip into town where do you store all that is inside the toad.. under the coach while you are site seeing or grocery shopping? remember when you leave your possessions unattended they can "grow legs"
out of sight out of mind
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
True that the Toadster is used for storing some things when traveling, BUT consider this, when you make a trip into town where do you store all that is inside the toad.. under the coach while you are site seeing or grocery shopping? remember when you leave your possessions unattended they can "grow legs"
out of sight out of mind
You are correct..we never leave anything outside when we leave the site !
We put stuff away at night ! Ha !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
The smaller your rig the less storage space you have. We used to have a 30 ft. TT
and towed it behind a 1 ton Ford diesel truck with a cap on the bed.

On a 3 week trip if we did not have the truck bed to store clothes in bins we would
have been in trouble. Just not enough closet storage in most small rigs.

My current MH has enough closet space for us.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
We own an A.C.E. 30.1 and love it! Since we both still work we're not able to take extended trips, but feel confident that we'll be just fine in it this summer when we hit the road for 3 weeks. Once we retire we plan to head out for a month or two in it, probably towing something (we don't have a toad yet).

We don't tend to take tons of stuff, so the storage we have is adequate. We really like the way our 2015 has the bedroom closets set up, and find that we've each got plenty of room. And we're okay with the kitchen/pantry space, largely because we realize that we don't have to pack enough groceries for a 3-week trip -- there ARE stores along the way!

I think it all depends on how you travel. Do you take lots of stuff? Are you content sharing the same space with your traveling partner? Are you a good communicator, and can deal with conflict in close quarters? Are you both early birds or night owls, and if not, can you give the other the space/sleep they like?

Additionally, we don't use the drop-down bunk, but have thought that it would be a good place for our 2 little dogs' kennels if we wanted to store them inside overnight (they travel in them).

We've been to a few RV shows since purchasing our A.C.E., and are quite happy to discover that there's really nothing else that we've seen that we like better. It's a good thing.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #10

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Thank you all for your input. I just put a deposit on a 2016 Thor Motor Coach ACE 29.3 with everything we could ask for. Your input was important to us!