Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #1615
Challenger tanks plumbed backwards

Hello everyone we are new to the coach life moving from a 36 foot fifth wheel to Challenger 37 lx. Just wondering has anyone else seen a problem with their tanks plumbed backwards. It seems that my rear tanks on the coach are reversed with the 2 inch line and small valve being the blackwater tank and the 4 inch line and large valve being the gray water tank. I mentioned this to the service manager at my dealer today and he didn‘t seem to think it was a problem. Also none of the valves were labeled.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Nice that your dealer did not care - you are no one after the sale is done!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Call Thor Customer Service, they may be able to help you.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Things not labeled seems to be pretty much standard practice. Hopefully you can get the other issues resolved.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
"It seems that my rear tanks on the coach are reversed with the 2 inch line and small valve being the blackwater tank and the 4 inch line and large valve being the gray water tank."

Hmm? Perhaps it's user error!

Just put the right stuff down the corresponding drain. You can easily correct the situation by controlling the manner in which you utilize the conveniences.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philslawn View Post
Hello everyone we are new to the coach life moving from a 36 foot fifth wheel to Challenger 37 lx. Just wondering has anyone else seen a problem with their tanks plumbed backwards. It seems that my rear tanks on the coach are reversed with the 2 inch line and small valve being the blackwater tank and the 4 inch line and large valve being the gray water tank. I mentioned this to the service manager at my dealer today and he didn‘t seem to think it was a problem. Also none of the valves were labeled.
Call or email Thor and ask for the waste plumbing layout. I got the one for the 37ND within 15 minutes of calling. When I asked a question prior to the purchase neither the dealer nor the Thor regional sales rep had the answer that coo responded to the layout and my testing with filling and dumping tanks during dewinterization. The layout matches what I found by filling and dumping.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Thor is now putting grey handles on grey tanks and a black handle on black tank. If they have plumbed them backwards that is a problem. It can be fixed but it shouldn't have happened.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Thor is now putting grey handles on grey tanks and a black handle on black tank. If they have plumbed them backwards that is a problem. It can be fixed but it shouldn't have happened.
Maybe on others but the Challenger seems different. On my 37ND the rear tank is a 40 gallon grey for the outside kitchen and shower. It has a black gate valve handle. On other models that tank is used for black water for the rear bathroom.

The only way to know for sure is to get the waste layout diagram for the specific model and then test the system by filling and dumping a location or fixture at a time.

All 37 foot Challengers have three 40 gallon waste tanks. How they are plumbed is dependent on the floor plan. In my case I have 1 40 gallon black and 2 40 gallon grey (1grey handle and 1 black handle). My grey tanks are plumbed by location of the fixtures with the passengers side to one grey tank (front) and the drivers side into the other (rear). The toilet alone goes into the black tank.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Maybe on others but the Challenger seems different. On my 37ND the rear tank is a 40 gallon grey for the outside kitchen and shower. It has a black gate valve handle. On other models that tank is used for black water for the rear bathroom.

The only way to know for sure is to get the waste layout diagram for the specific model and then test the system by filling and dumping a location or fixture at a time.

All 37 foot Challengers have three 40 gallon waste tanks. How they are plumbed is dependent on the floor plan. In my case I have 1 40 gallon black and 2 40 gallon grey (1grey handle and 1 black handle). My grey tanks are plumbed by location of the fixtures with the passengers side to one grey tank (front) and the drivers side into the other (rear). The toilet alone goes into the black tank.
Figures they wouldn't set a protocol. That was from a sales dummy. It made logical sense but obviously not standard. Of course how could we expect them to understand color coding when they can't figure out how to use a shopvac! Lol
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
My 2015 Challenger has two tanks. A 40 gal black and 80 gal gray. /Mikey
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
My 2015 Challenger has two tanks. A 40 gal black and 80 gal gray. /Mikey
Mikey,

You and I have the same Challenger. Check in a storage compartment just before the one with the shore power cable and see if you have a gate valve. It is towards the back of the compartment and since everything is black it may be difficult to see without stooping down and looking towards the top of the compartment.

On mine this gate valve goes to the 40 gallon tank that handles the outside kitchen sink, the shower and the washer drain (not equipped on my rig).

I was told the same thing 40 and 80 by sales but the waste layout and my testing (running water into the tanks and draining them one at a time) proved that sales people don't know the product they are selling.

I saw that second "black tank gate valve" before I purchased and was told by the Thor regional sales rep that the valve went to a "grey tank for the outside kitchen only".

I attached the waste layout I received from Thor.

Also here is the context of an email conversation with Thor when I got confused over the tank layout and fixture draining.

"This is what I was told by engineering:
There is one black tank. The stool is the only fixture dumping into this tank. Its capacity is 40 gallons.
There are two gray tanks. The rear one accepts water from the outside kitchen, the washer/dryer prep, and the shower. The front one accepts water from the lav and kitchen sinks. Each tank has a 40 gallon capacity for a combined gray capacity of 80 gallons."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDW0251.pdf (1.04 MB, 133 views)
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I think from some of the rhetoric posted here concerning problems encountered by owners; I am not sure you can assume two identical models are made identically...
Old 03-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I think from some of the rhetoric posted here concerning problems encountered by owners; I am not sure you can assume two identical models are made identically...
The only assumption being made is that the salespeople selling the coaches do not know how the units are configured. Also, the sales brochure may lead folks to believe this unit has an 80 gallon gray water tank.

I provided a suggestion on what to look for, where to look for it, and provided the documentation that supports that suggestion.

Thor has made changes in the middle of a yearly production run and an example of this is the change from a 5k to 8k trailer hitch the middle of last year. Neither my salesperson not the Thor regional sales rep could tell me why Thor went to the 8k hitch (change to Ford's GCWR or change to the manufacturing of, or supplier for the hitch) or for that matter which hitch was installed on the coach I bought. I got on the ground while they were in discussion on the phone and looked at the rating on the hitch itself and got the answer. In this case the change over occurred earlier than the production date listed in the sales brochure and on Thor's web site.

Yes, it is possible that the exact same model and year coaches are plumbed different. However, the Drainage Layout was last modified in 2014 (Revised ext kitchen layout) and I do not believe Thor factory personnel are smart enough to assemble a coach without the "color by numbers" chart.

In the case of the Challenger 37ND when I hookup at the campground I have to run two sewer hoses into a Y and then to the campground sewer hookup. The two drains are located in compartments separated by the drivers side rear wheels. The main drain is located below the water termination and control panel and the rear drain is located in another storage compartment immediately behind the rear wheels.

Just trying to help out a fellow 37ND owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Drain.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Drain.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	336  

FMCA - F432054
Old 01-15-2016, 02:28 AM   #14

State: Montana
THOR #3415
right on

My 2014.5 is the same way. I have been told there is a maserator under toilet so you only need the small outlet????????? But it is an issue they do not give a shit about
Old 01-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
My 2014.5 is the same way. I have been told there is a maserator under toilet so you only need the small outlet????????? But it is an issue they do not give a shit about
Not sure which model or floor plan you have but the only macerator in mine is under the sink in the outdoor kitchen. It is required to pump the drain water from that sink into the rear gray water tank. My toilet is a straight shot into the black tank.

With that said the bath and a half units could have a macerator. I believe, although not sure, the rear gray tank on mine is a second black tank on the bath and a half units.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #16

State: Montana
THOR #3415
Mine has a marine toilet. if I open the SMALL valve and my wife flushes the toilet it drains from the SMALL valve not the LARGE. I do not care about the color of the valve or what all goes in it. The toilet drains from the SMALL valve! I guess I am the only one that is concerned about the toilet drains out of small pipe? 2 or 3 tanks or the color of the valves, i do not care. THE toilet drains out of the small tank.