Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Challenger wet winterizing

Has anyone wet winterized their Challenger through the Anderson water termination center?

If so, how much antifreeze was required?

I plan on winterizing my coach today and have 3.5 gallons of antifreeze on hand. Hopefully this system won't require more.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Team

THOR #1469
To answer my own question

It took 2.5 gallons for my 37ND with outdoor kitchen. 2 gallons through the system and 1/2 gallon for the P traps and toilet bowl.

The Anderson instructions are incorrect. They lead you to believe the antifreeze is first sucked into the water tank and then through the system

The actual procedure:

Connect a siphon hose to the city water fill and the other end into the antifreeze. Place the termination center valve in the winterize/sanitize position. Turn on the water pump and start opening faucets.

Of note, you are not using a sealed system here (due to siphon hose and open bottle, so the system will not build enough pressure to turn off the water pump.

In my case the 1/2 gallon for the P traps was not necessary since I previously blew out the lines and straight antifreeze came through the faucets. I just don't want an open bottle hanging around for a year.

I used a plate in the water filter housing which reduced the required antifreeze by about a quart or 2.

Unfortunately, this brings an end to my camping season. Now it is time for servicing, warranty visit to the dealer and possible mods before the next season begins as early as next month.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Be sure and give it a BIG hug when you store it away until next time like Jamie does his.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Actually when I get it back from the dealer it will be right next to the house, plugged in and loaded to go at the drop of a hat.

My warranty expires on Feb 3, so it needs to go to the dealer to get the deferred items worked off and they need to figure out why the Axxerra keeps loosing power while rolling down the road. I also need to get my state inspection done so I imagine it will be at the dealer for a couple to 3 weeks.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Anderson Instruction for winterizing

For those with the Anderson system the instructions for winterizing currently read

"
"Sanitize / Winterize" Position
- Attach a short length of hose to the water inlet check valve and place inlet of hose into bucket with sanitizer or winterizer fluids. Turn on the pump and the contents of the bucket will be drawn into the fresh water tank by use of the on-board pump. Turn off the pump when the bucket is emptied. For sanitizer it can be left in the tank and for winterizer it is then pumped from the tank by moving the handle to the "normal" position and turning the pump switch to on. With the water heater bypassed and drained, the winteriing fluid is pumped to each on board fixture by simply opening each hot and cold fixture until the winterizing (pink stuff) is visually seen. This will also dispense some of the winterizer into the traps beneath the fixtures to winterize the traps."

Based on my wet winterization they should read

"Sanitize / Winterize" Position- Attach a short length of hose to the water inlet check valve and place inlet of hose into bucket with sanitizer or winterizer fluids. Turn on the pump and the contents of the bucket will be drawn into the fresh water system by use of the on-board pump. Turn off the pump when the bucket is emptied. With the water heater bypassed and drained, the winteriing fluid is pumped to each on board fixture by simply opening each hot and cold fixture until the winterizing (pink stuff) is visually seen. This will also dispense some of the winterizer into the traps beneath the fixtures to winterize the traps.

As I found out yesterday the Anderson system does not pump the pink stuff into the fresh water tank as they state in their instructions and there is no need to move the valve from winterize to normal during the process.

Attached are the instructions as written by Anderson.

Anderson 200RV INSTALL TEST INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

This also tells me the procedures for sanitizing are incorrect as well and that I will document in a month or so. It looks, however, like to sanitize the fresh water tank the solution will have to be poured into the fresh water fill manually. The sanitize/winterize position can be used to get the initial solution into the lines and faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Comp.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1254  
FMCA - F432054