Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
An old friend's saying..."You can always tell how much money someone spends by how much trash they put on the street".

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
And, you wonder why I'm scared???
I don't wonder: I've been there myself...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
I have searched. And searched. I can find hard shell cargo boxes, but none for bikes.
Yeah, Im not sure they were designed for bikes. But looked large enough to stick a couple into it.

U would think someone would make a rigid plastic bike storage thing somehwere in the world. Its a great Idea. They could make some big money advertizing on RV mags and sites let alone Bike sites.

You could always tape/glue a small storage shed to the back of your RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #24

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah, Im not sure they were designed for bikes. But looked large enough to stick a couple into it.

U would think someone would make a rigid plastic bike storage thing somehwere in the world. Its a great Idea. They could make some big money advertizing on RV mags and sites let alone Bike sites.

You could always tape/glue a small storage shed to the back of your RV.
I don't believe tape would hold. Better use bungee cords!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #25

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
An old friend's saying..."You can always tell how much money someone spends by how much trash they put on the street".
Hey, I resemble that!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #26

THOR #15054
So, this is a question that I probably should put out on the full forum for all to see, but is it common practice for dealers to show a price, then say "Oh, by the way, you have to add $1200 for shipping and $1300 for prep"? I understand those are actual costs but if you have a hand written sign in the window that says the MSRP is this but we're selling it for that, it seems really sleazy to say afterwards that "that" isn't really "that".
Old 05-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #27

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
So, this is a question that I probably should put out on the full forum for all to see, but is it common practice for dealers to show a price, then say "Oh, by the way, you have to add $1200 for shipping and $1300 for prep"? I understand those are actual costs but if you have a hand written sign in the window that says the MSRP is this but we're selling it for that, it seems really sleazy to say afterwards that "that" isn't really "that".
I’ve always considered the “sign in the window” or advertised price as the high start price of negotiations. For our first RV we negotiated a price and said we would write a check for X amount and pulled out the check book. The salesman came back and said OK and then tried to add in the taxes. My wife said “we said we would write a check for X not X plus. We walked out the door, got in our car and the salesman threw himself in front of the car and agreed to the X price. Taught me something about RV pricing.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I call those fees part of the negotiating process.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #29

THOR #11130
Quote:

Ask to see their invoice. Dealer prep is normal as long as it's reasonable...ask what's included in it. Doc Fees are normal but some dealers do not charge for it. I paid cash and refused to pay their $900 Doc Fee. There were no documents other than a Buyer's Order. Doc Fees cover all the finance paperwork, warranty registration, etc. Negotiate it. Do not pay for "paint protection", nitrogen in the tires, extended warranties, etc. They will chain you to a desk and put a bright light over your head. Just refuse to pay those ridiculous fees and start to walk out. It's best to have your bottom-line number before you ever sit down and stick to it. Get them to list EVERYTHING up front...before you get close to purchase.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #30

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
"Oh yeah, we have to charge you a fee for Negotiating with you"....

Yeah I stood up twice getting ready to walk out when things came to a stall. They will cave in.

They do not want you to walk out the door or leave their parking lot if they can help it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #31

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I’ve always considered the “sign in the window” or advertised price as the high start price of negotiations. For our first RV we negotiated a price and said we would write a check for X amount and pulled out the check book. The salesman came back and said OK and then tried to add in the taxes. My wife said “we said we would write a check for X not X plus. We walked out the door, got in our car and the salesman threw himself in front of the car and agreed to the X price. Taught me something about RV pricing.
Which is exactly what my opinion is. If you are saying this is the price in the window, don't tell me later that it's not. I've purchased enough cars in my life to understand negotiating but this to me is a slap in the face.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #32

THOR #15054
BTW, I have zero problem with state fees not being part of that price. That is normal for all businesses. If I buy a shirt for $30, I know that there will be sales tax on that when I pay. I don't expect to get to the register and find the shirt is now $32 because of shipping!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #33

THOR #11130
Best to just get them to send you an absolute, bottom-line Buyer's Order. Tell them you will not pay for anything more than what's on it...as long as you approve it...regardless. Be prepared to walk.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #34

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
BTW, I have zero problem with state fees not being part of that price. That is normal for all businesses. If I buy a shirt for $30, I know that there will be sales tax on that when I pay. I don't expect to get to the register and find the shirt is now $32 because of shipping!
They aren’t part of the price, but the are part of the negotiation. I have purchased four RVs four large boats and a dozen cars in my life and I had never gotten to the “final negotiated price” or pull out the checkbook” stage without the salesman figuring the tax and either adding it in or telling me that the price was before tax. I didn’t feel bad at all about “walking out” after being given a final price and starting to write a check. At that point he could have said - oh by the way, there are dealer fees and disposal fees and .... I am always up front and say I have so much money to spend and that’s it. Don’t try to add in fees at that point. I will always walk.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #35

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Quote:
So, we are looking to buy our first MH in the fall of this year and have narrowed down the list significantly. Actually, the list narrowed itself down, as we realize we REALLY want the rear twin/king bed configuration. This leaves the 25V in class C, and the 24ST in the Sprinter chassis. We thought for sure that the 25V was the direction we were going, but we really were concerned with the lack of functionality of the cab seats, which left only the dinette for seating in the living space. The cab seats are basically used for driving and that's it. They serve very little purpose once parked. Then, we (re-)discovered the Axis/Vegas 24.1. This has basically the exact same floorplan, but the captains chairs are actually functional as part of the living space once parked. Additionally, the passenger seat has a small workstation area where we can place our computers while driving or while parked. There is a whole list of other things that we liked better about the 24.1 over the 25V, so we are very excited by this unit.

A couple of questions that we have for anyone who has (or had) one of these:

Is it uncomfortable driving in or towards the sun with this much glass? There's only so much a visor can do for that.

It has no oven, but it does have a convection microwave. Is the absence of a traditional oven something you have missed, or even noticed?

Are there airbags in the front passenger seat? (I'm assuming the driver has one?)

We would appreciate ANY help/opinions/advice etc. that you are willing to share with us. It's exciting and scary, all at the same time.

Thanks!

Tim
Tim B,
I have a 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 for sale in Illinois. Excellent condition. I have pics and videos if interested on RV Trader.
Les
Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My favorite (not) add-on is a $500 fee for the PDI! I got up to leave once and my wife initiated “the leave” twice more. You’re not done until they bring in a manager to beat on you a bit further after your salesman has done his best. Good to look at it as sort of a game - remembering that you hold most of the cards .
Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #37

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete'smh View Post
my favorite (not) add-on is a $500 fee for the pdi! I got up to leave once and my wife initiated “the leave” twice more. You’re not done until they bring in a manager to beat on you a bit further after your salesman has done his best. Good to look at it as sort of a game - remembering that you hold most of the cards .
pdi?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #38

THOR #11130
PDI=Pre-Delivery Inspection. Something they are required by Thor to do...at no additional fee. All these reason are why you request a copy of a final, priced out Buyer's Order including every charge before you ever go in. then just sit there with the checkbook and a Glock, shaking your head no-no-no-no-no-no. If you're financing through them, you can expect the "Hot Lights". Make those arrangements before you go in also, if you have that option.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #39

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
PDI=Pre-Delivery Inspection. Something they are required by Thor to do...at no additional fee. All these reason are why you request a copy of a final, priced out Buyer's Order including every charge before you ever go in. then just sit there with the checkbook and a Glock, shaking your head no-no-no-no-no-no. If you're financing through them, you can expect the "Hot Lights". Make those arrangements before you go in also, if you have that option.
We are planning on having our financing provided from outside the dealership. Any suggestions on financing companies would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #40

THOR #11130
Credit Union is who we use for the few times we finance anything big. We paid cash...not sure if that was smart or not...but it feels good for the times it just sits out there not getting used.