Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Change of direction; now looking at Axis/Vegas 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You are right, a little rain and road grime wont hurt my mtn bike... esp just after I covered it with mud anyway. And if I only spent $1000 I would agree with you.

But when you really into a sport you sometimes purchase the upper end products that perform the best and give you great satifaction riding them. Then when your traveling you might stop at a rest area or walmart parking lot and the thiefs see a $6000 bike with a couple of locks on it. VS them seeing a big box that might have firewood in it.

Sure I have some Heavy duty 4# U locks that would require them to use a power tools to grind or cut off (It would take too long to hack saw off and bolt cuters wont work on them).

Plus you might take an all day trip someplace (into town, lake etc) and leave your bikes at the campsite (or BLM). It sure would give me a piece of mind knowing someone cant "see" what is in my box - plus it will keep the bike clean until im ready to get it muddy.

Yes, I’m not in to super nice bikes - I ride a $3,500 Trek - but many folks are surprised that any bike could cost even that much. I sometimes ride with a friend who rides a custom $10,000 Trek (but I can’t keep up with him so I don’t do it often). When I decided to get back into riding I bought a$400 fitness bike and thought I spent “a lot”. Then I rode a borrowed $900 fitness bike and it was transforming so I bought one of those. Then I rode my son’s $1,300 road bike and that too was a revelation. So I finally spent the time to actually figure out what I needed and ended up on my current carbon fiber Trek. Instead of being an exercise chore riding is now a real joy. And I wouldn’t leave my bike in the weather either. Good luck in your search for a perfect solution.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #102

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Here's your answer, guys!! Forget the expensive MH!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobile-creative-home-idea.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	17366  
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Posts like these are why this forum needs like and lol buttons!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #104

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
......cut.....

Plus you might take an all day trip someplace (into town, lake etc) and leave your bikes at the campsite (or BLM). It sure would give me a piece of mind knowing someone cant "see" what is in my box - plus it will keep the bike clean until im ready to get it muddy.
I agree — out of sight out of mind is a great first step towards security.

I left a bike covered and cabled to a tree at a campground while we rode into town for dinner, and when we came back someone had broken my rear wheel. I don’t think it was necessarily intentional, preferring to think their curiosity cost me a replacement.

Also, a friend on cycling club and his son went to ride and hike out west, and took a couple of bikes each in their SUV. While the vehicle was unattended for a couple of hours, someone broke a window to open SUV and steal the bikes. They were not super expensive but got stolen anyway, and in their case had damage to vehicle. Fortunately, insurance covered most of the loss but it affected their trip nonetheless.

I don’t like worrying about stuff, so either I want it protected well or I’ll limit myself to a beater bike that wouldn’t be a huge setback if taken.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #105

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
...I don’t like worrying about stuff, so either I want it protected well or I’ll limit myself to a beater bike that wouldn’t be a huge setback if taken.
THIS. I absolutely hate worrying about things like this and my bikes are not anywhere near as expensive as the ones you guys are discussing, Maybe $3-4K to replace my wife's and my road bikes. But, if it happens while we're out, that means the whole reason we brought them (to be in a race with them) is now gone. Insurance can replace the bike but not the lost experience.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #106

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I saw a bike rack in Key West a few years ago outside a popular bar...there were three front tires cable-locked to it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #107
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I think that they also market a Sport Model...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1557761985
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2334632-1A0A2F06000005DC-352_634x422.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	17372  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #108

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yes, I’m not in to super nice bikes - I ride a $3,500 Trek - but many folks are surprised that any bike could cost even that much. I sometimes ride with a friend who rides a custom $10,000 Trek (but I can’t keep up with him so I don’t do it often). When I decided to get back into riding I bought a$400 fitness bike and thought I spent “a lot”. Then I rode a borrowed $900 fitness bike and it was transforming so I bought one of those. Then I rode my son’s $1,300 road bike and that too was a revelation. So I finally spent the time to actually figure out what I needed and ended up on my current carbon fiber Trek. Instead of being an exercise chore riding is now a real joy. And I wouldn’t leave my bike in the weather either. Good luck in your search for a perfect solution.
Yeah my old Trek (2018 Fuel 8) was almost that much $ and I still love it. But my new bike (Trek Powerfly carbon 9.7) is $6000. And now I have a E Mtn bike for my wife as well ("only $3600") so I want to protect them as much as I can. But if someone really wants them they will get them.

I started out 6 years ago with a $450 Giant comfort bike.... loved it so much a year later I purchased a Giant Anthem Mtn bike on sale for $2300 and I thought that was stupid money to pay for a bike. We then you get bit by the Mtn bike bug and suddenly you can "justify" paying more money. I enjoy it and its good for my heath - so how can you put a price on that.

I rode my old bike the other day.... But Its hard to go back when you have something that rides so much smoother and is faster in every way over the old bike. I feel like I can tackle anything now.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #109

Model: axis
State: Ohio
THOR #12044
We love our 24.1 2018 Axis.

Just a heads up things to do before your 1st trip.
Replace factory steering damper.
Install front Sumosprings. Don't need rear sumos if you do sway bars.
Replace Front and Rear stabilizer bars with Helwig stabilizer bars.
Then have Ford dealer give it an alignment.

It will drive one handed like a nice, well equipped pickup.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #110

State: California
THOR #10354
Is it uncomfortable driving in or towards the sun with this much glass? There's only so much a visor can do for that.
Yes but the shade helps. More irritating is the sun coming from the sides of the coach while driving. I pull the side drape forward partway to reduce the light/heat.

It has no oven, but it does have a convection microwave. Is the absence of a traditional oven something you have missed, or even noticed?
The convection part of the oven is similar to an oven and the convection tends to keep the heat all in and around what you are cooking.

Are there airbags in the front passenger seat? (I'm assuming the driver has one?)
The driver seat looks to have an airbag in the steering whell center but none for the passenger.

These units are a steal for what you get and you should be able to find one for around $75k NEW! Buy mid to end of the year for best price. We bought our 2017 Vegas 24.2 (rear slideout bed) in late 2017 for $73k from a Saukville WI dealer. These units, like all moderately priced RV's always have some defects so take that into consideration if you cannot fix things yourself.

Also, be aware that the driver seat will not turn all of the away around until you remove the left armrest because it will normally be stopped by the steering wheel no matter what else you do to the seat adjustments. Removal of the armrest is quite simple to do if you know how-A push in and a twist.

We would appreciate ANY help/opinions/advice etc. that you are willing to share with us. It's exciting and scary, all at the same time.

Thanks!

Tim[/QUOTE]
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #111

THOR #10354
Quote:
Nice photoshop. This unit would topple over on the first turn!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #112

THOR #7660
We have had our 2015 24.1 Vegas with the configuration you want for almost 5 years now. Love it, but be careful about the pervasive factory QA problems on newer units that haven't been solved by the dealer, they are notorious for poor workmanship. The Ford chassis is fine, but the coach is terribly manufactured. We have spent a number of years debugging our's, and now it is fine. We put 24, 000 miles on it, and value it today in N. Calif RV market at about $55, 000 retail.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #113

State: Washington, D.C.
THOR #14336
I have 25.2 with many of the same features... the front windshield has a power operated shade that you can lower part way to block the sun when driving... front seats are great but in mine the drivers doesn't rotate all the way around because the steering wheel gets in the way... design flaw in my opinion... if anyone has found a way around this I'd appreciate the info! The convection microwave is great! works like an oven and a microwave... try a Google search about them for more info... you can even put some types of metal cookware in them... the induction cooktop in mine is a great addition to the 2019's also.... all in all I love mine!!!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #114

State: Washington, D.C.
THOR #14336
https://letsgoaero.com/cargo-carrier...argo-carriers/
Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #115

State: Colorado
THOR #2661
Axis 24.1 we have a 2015 with under 15,000 miles we loved it but are getting a little

l
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
So, we are looking to buy our first MH in the fall of this year and have narrowed down the list significantly. Actually, the list narrowed itself down, as we realize we REALLY want the rear twin/king bed configuration. This leaves the 25V in class C, and the 24ST in the Sprinter chassis. We thought for sure that the 25V was the direction we were going, but we really were concerned with the lack of functionality of the cab seats, which left only the dinette for seating in the living space. The cab seats are basically used for driving and that's it. They serve very little purpose once parked. Then, we (re-)discovered the Axis/Vegas 24.1. This has basically the exact same floorplan, but the captains chairs are actually functional as part of the living space once parked. Additionally, the passenger seat has a small workstation area where we can place our computers while driving or while parked. There is a whole list of other things that we liked better about the 24.1 over the 25V, so we are very excited by this unit.

A couple of questions that we have for anyone who has (or had) one of these:

Is it uncomfortable driving in or towards the sun with this much glass? There's only so much a visor can do for that.

It has no oven, but it does have a convection microwave. Is the absence of a traditional oven something you have missed, or even noticed?

Are there airbags in the front passenger seat? (I'm assuming the driver has one?)

We would appreciate ANY help/opinions/advice etc. that you are willing to share with us. It's exciting and scary, all at the same time.

Thanks!

Tim
We have a Thor axis 24.1 with under 15,000 mile loved it but getting a little old to rv...I put a stabilizer on the front was great many extras selling in the mid $50000 if interested let me know it’s in Texas rmtaylor4243@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #116

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Quote:
So, we are looking to buy our first MH in the fall of this year and have narrowed down the list significantly. Actually, the list narrowed itself down, as we realize we REALLY want the rear twin/king bed configuration. This leaves the 25V in class C, and the 24ST in the Sprinter chassis. We thought for sure that the 25V was the direction we were going, but we really were concerned with the lack of functionality of the cab seats, which left only the dinette for seating in the living space. The cab seats are basically used for driving and that's it. They serve very little purpose once parked. Then, we (re-)discovered the Axis/Vegas 24.1. This has basically the exact same floorplan, but the captains chairs are actually functional as part of the living space once parked. Additionally, the passenger seat has a small workstation area where we can place our computers while driving or while parked. There is a whole list of other things that we liked better about the 24.1 over the 25V, so we are very excited by this unit.

Thanks!

Tim
We own a 2015 Vegas, love the floor plan did not like the king bed configuration. Bought 2 twin mattresses (alot more comfortable). Took some getting use to a convection oven but once I downloaded a manual from google its alittle bit easier. We use the electric visor if the sun gets abit in the eyes (we call it the giant fishbowl). We bought it brand new and definitely had our share of problems (I call it lack of workmanship), so keep that in mind, really check it out good. Gas mileage is great, we really could get 500 miles per tankload. Not sure about the airbags. Check out tires and alignment ( major problems we finally resolved).and check batteries well (ours exploded). Our bathroom door is a problem, keeps coming off the peg (sometimes have the brace it closed using our slide brace while driving down the road. Counterspace is very limited, you will have to get creative. Store things under the driverside bed (two covered storage spaces there). Careful with the kitchen sink its plastic. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #117

State: Colorado
THOR #2661
Quote:

Thanks!

Tim
We have a Thor axis 24.1 2015 we have enjoyed it...just last year I had a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer put on the front it was great and it tracks right down the highway...we are selling our rv because of our age and health...it has under 15,000 mile and comes with many extras selling for under $60,000 is interested contact me at rmtaylor4243@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #118

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Change of direction

We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 exactly what you like with 17,000 miles on it for sale, under cover well maintained ship.
Regards Bill and Maggie
Titusville Florida 32796
Lazypyro2@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #119

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
JamieGeek is spot-on with his comment regarding the annoying side-window reflections. SO annoying...!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #120

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
JamieGeek is spot-on with his comment regarding the annoying side-window reflections. SO annoying...!
I remember the first evening driving her home from Ocala dealership, it was a Target semi I was passing and holy cow vertigo reaction, Almost lol
I don't travel at night for that very reason.