Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Chassis Warranty Registration...Did They Do It???

Found out this morning that my Ford Warranty was never registered by the dealer. They registered the Thor warranty but not the Ford with the online Ford Form FCS900. This is the form that re-sets the full term of your warranty to the date you purchased your MH as the retail end-user. You also get an extended allowance for the miles put on the coach during build and transport. It's a deal Ford made with the manufacturers to better sell chassis' to the MH industry. Otherwise, the original warranty starts the day Thor takes it in inventory and it starts ticking away. You may be out of warranty by a year or so before you ever take delivery. The girl at Ford Motor Home Division said this is not unusual. Many think because the Thor warranty is registered, the chassis is as well. Had I encountered a catastrophic failure, I would have been on my own as Ford will not back date it if it wasn't registered when purchased. The number for Ford, if you want to verify it, is 800-444-3311. Once the dealer finally gets around to registering mine, I'll post who they are. Probably many more from them not registered. They are in Florida .

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
some time after purchasing, when I was about to buy a roadside service plan, I learned that Ford provides 5 years free. By this time my RV chassis was probably close to two years old (1 year of that was sitting on the dealer's lot). I called Ford to find out about it. They started my 5 years form the date of my purchase, not the date of manufacture. I don't know if that's related to warranty or not.... similar issue anyway.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

THOR #11130
For RV's they allow build time, inventory time and mileage for transport to retail location...but the selling dealer has to complete a Ford Form FCS900 online which pushes the restart date of warranty to the date of sale to end user and they add mileage at time of sale back to original warranty. It's worth looking in to if you have a recently purchased Ford chassis. Otherwise, original warranty starts the day they deliver it to a body builder/RV manufacturer.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #4

Model: Outlaw 38 RE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3657
ford warranty vs

ford is telling my dealer my warranty is the build date /vin date of the chassy. the rv service department is acting as if this is the first time they have ever heard of this; how could that be? my 2016 outlaw was purchased march 1 2016. my ford cab ac compressor failed and ford is telling them its a 2014. where do I get this ford form you mention?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normfitz View Post
ford is telling my dealer my warranty is the build date /vin date of the chassy. the rv service department is acting as if this is the first time they have ever heard of this; how could that be? my 2016 outlaw was purchased march 1 2016. my ford cab ac compressor failed and ford is telling them its a 2014. where do I get this ford form you mention?
Are you sure Ford is telling your dealer that or is your dealer relaying this information to you?

When you purchased your rig your dealer should have filled out a Ford form and sent it to Ford changing the warranty start date to the date you drove off the lot. This is how it works (and has been verified by a few members here as their Ford dates were not correct because their dealer didn't submit the form--they had to gently remind the dealer to file the paperwork). (Someone will probably chime in and even give you the name of said form.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:38 AM   #6

THOR #11130
Read the thread...the form number is above. It's spelled out pretty simply. The dealer and only the dealer can file this form with Ford.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

THOR #11130
"ford is telling my dealer my warranty is the build date /vin date of the chassy. the rv service department is acting as if this is the first time they have ever heard of this; how could that be? my 2016 outlaw was purchased march 1 2016. my ford cab ac compressor failed and ford is telling them its a 2014. where do I get this ford form you mention?"

Norm...the chassis is probably a 2014 but that doesn't matter if it's a motorhome. The selling dealer, at the time of delivery, was suppose to complete Ford Form FCS900 which resets your warranty to zero the day you took retail delivery as outline in my original post. When I called Thor they told me it's the dealer's responsibility but I bet you could get Thor behind you if you needed to. The reason Ford is telling your dealer it's a 2014 is correct...but the warranty...time and miles...should have not started counting down until you took delivery. Did Ford deny your compressor claim or is this just a question regarding model year? On another issue, for motorhomes only, the vehicle is registered at the tag office as a 2016, even thought the chassis is a 2014. What year model is on your Title/Tag Registration papers?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #8

THOR #11130
blw2...that's exactly what the program is. Good for you that Ford did it direct. These chassis' sit for many months at the RV manufacturers facilities before getting built into a motorhome. Ford does this as an incentive for them to buy their chassis' in volume. They also offer a "floor plan" which allows the manufacturers to delay payments on the chassis until the motorhome is built...but it does have time limits.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Model: Outlaw 38 RE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3657
Warranty date reset

Thanks everyone. My dealer provided original form to prove they sent it at my purchase date. Ford resets these when submitted once per month. Mine was. Reset from build date to purchase date on July 2nd and the outlaw is at the ford dealership getting the AC compressor R n R . All is well. But double check your own warranty.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

THOR #11130
Mighty Mouse strikes again!!!! Glad you got it worked out, and have good remaining warranty going forward!!