Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #7150
Thor Vegas

First let me say that the Thor Vegas is a piece of crap. I purchased my 2016 new never titled in 2017 with about 500 miles on it. Had all kinds of issues not with the Ford chassis but the Thor body itself. Had many items fixed under warranty within the first 6 months. I have only made 5 trips and I have about 10,000 miles and it is falling apart. What a piece of junk. Their quality control is terrible. I took it to a huge RV dealer when I was in Arizona to get the black tank valve repaired due to it leaking and was charged 350.00 after I was told the supplemental insurance would cover it.
That was only one of many items I had to get repaired to get back to Illinois.

Thor is the worst and I have come to the conclusion that all RV dealers are way overpriced. If I could have carried a assortment of tools with me I would have been able to make the repairs myself.

When I was at the RV dealer in Phoenix I was toying with the idea of trading the Thor in on a 2020 Motorhome of a different brand. They only wanted to give me half of what I paid for it on a trade in. That killed that idea right then and there. They blamed it on the fact that it was a Thor.

Sorry but I had to vent.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictech View Post
First let me say that the Thor Vegas is a piece of crap. I purchased my 2016 new never titled in 2017 with about 500 miles on it. Had all kinds of issues not with the Ford chassis but the Thor body itself. Had many items fixed under warranty within the first 6 months. I have only made 5 trips and I have about 10,000 miles and it is falling apart. What a piece of junk. Their quality control is terrible. I took it to a huge RV dealer when I was in Arizona to get the black tank valve repaired due to it leaking and was charged 350.00 after I was told the supplemental insurance would cover it.
That was only one of many items I had to get repaired to get back to Illinois.

Thor is the worst and I have come to the conclusion that all RV dealers are way overpriced. If I could have carried a assortment of tools with me I would have been able to make the repairs myself.

When I was at the RV dealer in Phoenix I was toying with the idea of trading the Thor in on a 2020 Motorhome of a different brand. They only wanted to give me half of what I paid for it on a trade in. That killed that idea right then and there. They blamed it on the fact that it was a Thor.

Sorry but I had to vent.
We had 2016 Vega, and I AGREE!!! HAHA
ours had 3 crack wind shields. warranty paid for one, thor boned us on other two! 500 a pop for insurance deductable.
Steering issues, upgraded.
leaks into tail lights, wood rot from leaks.
electric issues.
etc!

Traded in for 2020 Hurricane, ford engine blew at 2200 miles!
It's been in out of shop total 4 months so far!
New water tank
New winegard
Upgrade slide to 3 rails
bunch of other crap.

no quality control!! My saying, if Thor (Ford) built airplanes, I would be dead!!

One thing is my dealership is taking really good care of us!

Old 06-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Life is easy.
Sell it.
Sell it today.
Find something else to take the time in your life you spent typing your discontent.

No excuses, sell it today.

(do you truly, honestly no prejudice, think Thor built your black tank valve or that this valve is any different than the valve in a 2.1 million dollar rv? Or that Thor has the slightest inkling of involvement in your aftermarket warranty and your failure to get the warranty bid in writing? )

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Life is easy.
Sell it.
Sell it today.
Find something else to take the time in your life you spent typing your discontent.

No excuses, sell it today.

(do you truly, honestly no prejudice, think Thor built your black tank valve or that this valve is any different than the valve in a 2.1 million dollar rv? Or that Thor has the slightest inkling of involvement in your aftermarket warranty and your failure to get the warranty bid in writing? )
Ha, but they are the ones that leave crap under every cabinet and bed. Don't clean up anything correctly. I had two dash screws in the middle of dash under windshield that are rusted in my new RV. Just pull out the cabinets and lift the bed, and bingo, screws laying everywhere in the saw dust!

Foam guy that seals up holes should be taking out and float tested for lack of skills!!

Explain to me how to sell a 7 month old brand new RV????

I ain't selling, I am going to have a party with Thor once everything is done!

Party like it's 1999!!!

Retired Military 100 percent combat disable wife of mine's Dream to have a nice rig! WE love the layout! Love the RV, hate the issues! 4 months my rig has been in the shop! In the shop now!!

Look at this CEO all bragging about Thor!

https://youtu.be/EWoq0vMo_e8

I should be out in my RV having fun right now!! That's my discontent!

"Find something else to take the time in your life you spent typing your discontent"

Nothing funner than have to beg to get your RV out of the shop so you can run off for a week and then come back and drop it off again!!

BTW I am under warranty, the Vegas I have a 5 year extended. The awing cost me 2400 dollar to replace when it ripped it's self off the side rolling in with no wind!

Warranty company declined our claim. So 1400 for new Awing installed. Refund of my warranty cost me a grand!!
Sold to me by Thor!!

This Retired Squid should be here!!!!! All happy and Shit! That's my discontent!!!

Old 06-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah some of the RV's (any brand) have more issues then others. But for the most part they will always need some small fixes over time. So that is expected.

So if you think its like buying a car and having zero issues for 3 years its Not.

I carrier a wide assortment of tools and small parts in my Axis (same as Vegas) So like water hose for PEX repairs, Wires, fuses, hose clamps, nuts and bolts, screws, twist ties, 4 kinds of tape etc).

Otherwise I would not feel confortable driving around the country. Nothing worse to me is Needing a small repair on the road that I cannot Fix myself because I dont have a took or some tape/Screw on hand. So each year I add more stuff.

After the 2nd time of bringing my RV back to CW for warrentee items I gave up. They orders the part and I installed them. But after the first year the major kicks were all worked out. Now its always something smallish and take me 15 / 30 minutes to take care of for very little money.

I just check every little thing inside and out (and under) the RV to fix thing before they cause a problem then repeat. But I dont mind it so much (its my hoby now - keeps me out of trouble and im learning so much plus having fun.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #6

THOR #13932
I too carry a pex kit. The pex and all the other repair type stuff fits in less than a cubic foot of space.
I have the female-female shark bite pex fittings so I can remove the offending portion of hose and easily slip in(literally) a new section.
(they might not exactly be sharkbite brand. These can be slipped on by hand without tools)

The hobby end of owning an rv is nothing I wanted. I adapted and made it mine, liking the hobby of it wasn't an option. It has to be done.
So, I embraced it instead of hating it, and the modifications began.

And I have a personal question for the navy guy?
Were you ever stationed on the Midway?
It was in commission practically three generations and I've never met anyone who was stationed on it.
I ask every sailor and marine I meet, no one ever says yes.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

THOR #13505
Quote:
I too carry a pex kit. The pex and all the other repair type stuff fits in less than a cubic foot of space.
I have the female-female shark bite pex fittings so I can remove the offending portion of hose and easily slip in(literally) a new section.
(they might not exactly be sharkbite brand. These can be slipped on by hand without tools)

The hobby end of owning an rv is nothing I wanted. I adapted and made it mine, liking the hobby of it wasn't an option. It has to be done.
So, I embraced it instead of hating it, and the modifications began.

And I have a personal question for the navy guy?
Were you ever stationed on the Midway?
It was in commission practically three generations and I've never met anyone who was stationed on it.
I ask every sailor and marine I meet, no one ever says yes.

I wasn't, I was an FFG Systems suite tech and Master Grammer Sonar Technician.

But my Navy buddy Tim Bratcher was on her in Japan and came back across on the rolley polly when they decommed her!

I been on her in San Diego as a museum.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I completely understand what you are going through when we bought our 30fe the first year was miserable, mostly do to water leaks and mold. Felt the same way something brand new shouldn’t have problems. After the first year we got the water leaks fixed and I quickly learned what the problem areas are and that they need extra attention. I hate losing carrying capacity because of carrying parts and tools. But apparently I have inherited the farmers blood from my dad and save everything that could be a repair tool or part knowing that there is always a place for it.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #19087
Piping in here as a newbie to the Class A world. My travel trailer water system blew up on the first day. Owned a boat too, homeowner, DIYer, so I know the world of mechanical failures, water leaks, rotting wood, etc.

I kind of look at it like this: It's literally a home on wheels. It's not a car, made to be driven and take corners and bumps. There's no wood, no wood screws, etc. in my F-150. I think of it like picking up my actual home, putting wheels under it and a some suspension, and expecting it to go 1000 miles without a crack in the pipes, the walls, etc. Motor homes, with the exception of the VERY expensive ones, are going to react as if your house were being towed around. I expect it to have cracks, broken pipes, electrical issues. Even though it's a "mobile" home, it's really not.

I realized that when I started to do research on my Vegas. I saw lots of negative posts on Thor. "Pissed Off Consumer" posts. Then I thought I would start doing research on motor homes that cost three times as much and saw the SAME complaints. The plumbing broke, the electrical, the engine, etc. They all have problems and if one expects a motorized home, made of wood, fiberglass, screws, glass, and sinks with faucets, to stay unharmed over 1,000 miiles of I-95 in the rain, snow, bumps, heat, cold, wind, etc, then that's hoping for the impossible.

It's probably why so many just sit at trailer parks and never go anywhere. It's the RVs that tough it out through the worst of it, get broken, get fixed, that are the true heroes of the RV world. I'm not talking about a Class B Adventure rig made to go off-road. I mean a 30-40 fiberglass RV with shag carpet and particle board. There's the RV that gets respect. So, I know and expect this RV to give us issues here and there. But we named her, we talk nice to her, and I hope she'll be nice back to us!

Cheers and safe trips fellow travellers
Old 06-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We all have enough trials and tribulations in our lives...
Something you bought to give you rest and relaxation; should not be a source of aggravation.
I agree with "Ducky": sell it!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I felt into that same way when I bought a Winnebago back in 2015. Brand new so nothing should be wrong with it. WRONG It spent more time at the dealership than on the road the first 9 months or so. I went with Winnebago since they have a long history in the r v industry. Wrong again. Many many issues that I either had to fix myself or have the dealership fix. Moving forward after the first year most issues were worked out. Now into March 2018, decided to move up and traded it in for a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS. Very minor few issues. Very happy and still improving it. All manufacturers will have issues. Some more than others. It is part of life.

Paul
Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1591989875
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	165
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	24222  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #13

THOR #13932
Yes Paul,
You're 100% right.
However:

Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

The op has a first post which kind of explains the second and now third post.

We choose hapfull by choice.
Others are hapless by choice.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's an old saying:
"Some folks wouldn't even be happy if you hung them with a new rope.." .
Old 06-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #15

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Unfortunately Thor doesn’t give a hoot that they are churning out crap. We bought a 2016 Challenger that’s a giant POS and we’ve barely put 4000 miles on it. Some of those miles were back and forth to Thor and Camping World- the country’s worst RV dealership if you expect actual customer service.

For those of you who elude to some people just not being satisfied, you might be really angry to if your rigs were built like crap. Not everyone has hordes of money to pay for an RV that is a lemon and be able to “just sell it” like suggested. Your upside down practically from the minute you drive off the lot with them.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #16

THOR #13932
Sell it.
Write a check from the 401k to cover the upside down.
At what point in this rv debacle do you expect to suddenly be happy?
That rv is NEVER EVER going to be worth more than it is today.
Look at your rv loan amortization schedule and see the savings you'll net by just writing the check.

Hate, discontent, never right, partially right for a short period of time then off to the dealer.

Sold. Done. Gone.
I'd seldom even remember.
No pictures kept, no tales told...just...gone.

Sell the rv.

Or;
Take the smart road and use this forums collective knowledge to maybe tell you how to sweep the sawdust from under the bed or how to correctly wire the ac or whatever{the whatever we haven't a clue about) is wrong which makes the rv so unusable.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #17

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Quote:
Sell it.
Write a check from the 401k to cover the upside down.
At what point in this rv debacle do you expect to suddenly be happy?
That rv is NEVER EVER going to be worth more than it is today.
Look at your rv loan amortization schedule and see the savings you'll net by just writing the check.

Hate, discontent, never right, partially right for a short period of time then off to the dealer.

Sold. Done. Gone.
I'd seldom even remember.
No pictures kept, no tales told...just...gone.

Sell the rv.

Or;
Take the smart road and use this forums collective knowledge to maybe tell you how to sweep the sawdust from under the bed or how to correctly wire the ac or whatever{the whatever we haven't a clue about) is wrong which makes the rv so unusable.

You are way out of line and your post was very condescending and rude. Why don’t you write me a check out of your 401k if that’s the answer? Just another know-it-all......
Old 06-14-2020, 05:00 AM   #18

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
To the OP,

Didn't you research RV forums before getting one? That should have told you what to expect and that you either have to have deep pockets or tools, mechanical skills and are willing to work on your RV.

I picked up our new RV yesterday and spent all day today fixing assembly issues. Not worth taking to the dealer as it cost me nothing but time. Besides that I learn a lot about my RV which might come in handy down the road. I found a 70 amp circuit breaker underneath the battery box (didn't know that existed).

And yes, I take a small assortment of tools and some minor repair aids with me.

It's all part of the RV experience.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #19

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I got my 2018 Hurricane 31Z in October of 2018. I knew about Thor and the fact I was buying an entry level MH. After I got it home I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life

My wife found this forum and it changed everything. I am not very handy so I can’t fix all the issues. What really changed is I did want to learn about what everyone on this forum were talking about. All the different systems were very intimidating to me. So my decision was to do some of the things I thought I could. If I had a question I would just ask on the forum. Now I feel a lot better........ still have a lot to learn. It is now my hobby. Being retired I have enough time to spend with my MH.

Thor could do better with just a small effort. If I can fix something it has to be pretty easy. In my mind, it should not have left the factory that way.

My wife and I go somewhere every month. It is a lot of fun. I am at a dog dock diving event today.

The first year was hard but not impossible and now it’s all good.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenw View Post
You are way out of line and your post was very condescending and rude. Why don’t you write me a check out of your 401k if that’s the answer? Just another know-it-all......
But his advice might have been your best next course of action...
If you lack the patience/money/skills to tackle the repairs: why make yourself miserable over a purchase that should have made you happy?