Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
CHF question

I have been reading about the CHF (cheap handling fix) and took my 2016 Thor ACE 30.1 into a shop to have it done. They had never done a CHF before but they do after market anti-sway bars for MH’s. When I went to pick it up I was told they didn’t do the back bar because it already had a extension on it and if they moved it to the 2nd mounting hole it would make it a loser ride. Does that sound right? Does anyone know a good place to bring my MH to around the Columbia SC area?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
If I were you, I would take a knee and look at the front and rear sway bars. You don't have to be a mechanic to determine which holes they are in. The point of the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) is to save some money. There are some YouTube videos you can watch that will show you what to look for.

If the service department said the back sway bars were already adjusted yet they don't know anything about the CHF, it would raise my eyebrow. Your best bet is to find someone, a friend, fellow RV'er to help you out. I know I posted pretty good instructions just don't have the time to hunt down that post but if you search, I am sure you will find it under "Love our Challenger" along with several others that have completed. I sincerely wish you the best and hope it works out well for you.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

THOR #4160
I found one of the threads with pictures and more info.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...stab-5802.html
Old 03-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
They did do the front end CHF, and I have the Safe-T-Bar already, here is the pic of the rear sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	4206  
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

THOR #4160
Rear sway bar bolts needs to be swapped so the sway bar rod is at the back.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I did the rear CHF on my 30.1 a few weeks ago while I was installing a SuperSteer track bar. You undo both nuts and remove the bracket/bolt assembly rotate it 180 degrees and put it into the outside (forward) hole. The sway bar hanger is moved the inside hole. Took about 1/2 hour. Photo attached. Blue bracket in the background is the track bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC426740-90A6-42F3-985F-AE71413BDC84.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	4209  
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #7

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #3922
OK, so I finally got round to doing the CHF on my Challenger. Glad I had a scissors jack. Both front mods required lifting the sway bar to align the holes, and right rear was the same. However, left rear was the opposite, requiring me to mount the scissors jack between the MH frame and the swaybar to put downward pressure on the swaybar for hole alignment.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Jacking against a spring (that's what the sway bar is) sounds a little dangerous. Speaking from a bad experience I had when I was 16, if jack slips the stored energy in spring can cause serious injury.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The swaybar doesn't have any tension on it, just stiff to move in the bushings. My front swaybar was tight, back was fairly easy to move by hand.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The swaybar doesn't have any tension on it, just stiff to move in the bushings. My front swaybar was tight, back was fairly easy to move by hand.
I disagree. A sway bar can have quite a bit of "tension" (or stress) on it if the motorhome/vehicle isn't parked on level ground.

If he had to use a jack to force bar back to where holes aligned, I'd bet the motorhome was parked on uneven ground. And remember that's what sway bars do -- they reduce sway by restricting suspension articulation.

Personally, I would start by parking on level ground (like you apparently did). But if that wasn't level enough to get holes to line up, I would then jack one side or the other of the motorhome slightly until holes lined up. I would personally not jack up or down on sway bar itself for fear that if jack slips it could fly off and hurt me. The possible outcome is not worth the risk in my experience with springs. I'm just glad it worked out OK in this case.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

THOR #4160
Of course it would have to a lot of tension if you are not level and are required to jack it up more than an inch or two. Any of the instructions clearly state to ensure you are level. I had to lift my mine up a little too but because I was on level ground, there was not enough tension to cause any harm to myself or property.

I can kill this topic here. Please ensure you are on level ground prior to performing the CHF. If you need to jack one of them up more than an inch or two, it is likely you are not on very level ground and I would recommend you re-level and try it again. Best of luck to all.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #12

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #3922
I'm at an RV park that just opened this section in January. Concrete slabs, but I can't vouch for them being perfectly level. I had to move the sway bar around 1/2 inch to align with the hanger.