Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Class C/Axis/Vegas battery step latch

I know a lot of you have this latch; it is in most Class C units and is on the Axis and Vegas units. Its the latch that holds the battery cover/step down:

This has to be a common problem: How do you adjust it so that it stays latched? On ours I can latch it, but the second someone steps on the step it becomes unlatched. Is it easier to just replace it with something more reliable? Do you just forget about it and leave it as is?

I know one suggestion is for me to lose some weight and then I won't crush the step so much ! I'm working on that, but I think a fix may work sooner!

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Jamie,

What is the possibility of moving or repositioning the bottom part of the latch (lower it) while someone is standing on the step?

Another option if it is easier would be to move the top part of the latch higher. That however, looks like it would be more difficult to do with someone standing on the step.

My prior Class C actually had bolts with knurled knobs that held the step thread/battery cover in place. They were far enough to the side that they did not affect anyone using the steps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The latch is held in with a single screw. I would imagine its possible to lower it by moving the screw; I don't know how far I have to move it--I'd have to observe that with someone standing on it. If its 1/2 the hole away that may not be an option.

This is more of an annoyance than anything since the weight of the step keeps it closed--even when driving down the road.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
How about adding a thin strip as a hard stop on the riser's top edge so the step doesn't compress enough to release the latch?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 AM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
It's pretty simple. Open the latch fully. Remove the screw. Hook the fully open latch on the cover, pull down snug, replace the screw. Now when you close the latch it will be quite tight, and stepping on the step shouldn't cause the latch to open.

The screw is self-tapping, and will have to pierce the steel step riser. It will take some time. You might want to put some silicone sealer in the original hole to prevent wayer incursion.

This fixed ours right up.

Regards,

Randy
Old 06-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Jamie, Ty, and others,
I experienced the same unhooking problem with our step (battery access door).
The latch is a rotary type latch that you turn to unhook. Once you release the latch by pulling the butterfly handle out to release the hook, turb the handle to raise the hook part out of the recepticle on the step above. This is where the problem of location the latch is a problem. You need to remount the latch lower by about 3/8" below where it it now. It has two screws that are self starting. Since the latch hook will rise about 1/2" when open, this will accomodate the play in the seal under the step. I have attached the product sheet for the latch specifics so you can see how it functions. Hope this helps.
Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rotery Latch k2.pdf (110.0 KB, 68 views)