Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Sound deadening in class C -- Worth it?

I'm thinking of adding some sound dampening around the cab of my Chateau (E450 chassis). For those who have done this, did it make a significant difference? Is it worth the cost and time to do it? And which areas make the most difference: doghouse, firewall, floors, doors, hood, fender wells?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #8775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I'm thinking of adding some sound dampening around the cab of my Chateau (E450 chassis). For those who have done this, did it make a significant difference? Is it worth the cost and time to do it? And which areas make the most difference: doghouse, firewall, floors, doors, hood, fender wells?
Following
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Attack the Doghouse first: this is probably the biggest source of noise and heat that you'll have to deal with.

Good luck! Take lots of pictures, and let us know how much of an improvement you get!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Do everything (if you can). Dog house first.

I dont have a C but my Axis is very simular in many ways (E450 Ford Chassis). I did the doghouse first then the Firewall and under the dash (from the engine compartment = much diff than yours). All of them made a difference. I really have not done the fender wells much (Again very diff than yours) but I might make a plastic liner at a later date to help with noise.

IMO its worth it. I keep adding more as time goes on. I will do one improvment that will show new spots or missed spots that need insulation. I bet I added close to 50#+ of a Dynomat (asphalt type to deaden sound with thick aluminum backing) and the 3/4 inch Fat Mat (absorbs sound = rejects heat) to my RV now.

I think bests results using both types in insulation together. Both reject heat too.

IMO get the good stuff.... I tryedthe cheap stuff in the past - the adhesive dont hold over time and they are not as thick. Mine is holding strong over a year now with high outside temps and mega engine heat.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Attack the Doghouse first: this is probably the biggest source of noise and heat that you'll have to deal with.

Good luck! Take lots of pictures, and let us know how much of an improvement you get!

Do it. I insulated dog house and floors and doors. Night and day difference. We can talk now.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

THOR #5837
What material did you guys use for the doghouse?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Dy-No-Mite!! (in your best JJ Walker voice)

Err.... Dynamat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

THOR #12231
If I was you I would use the heavy Dynomat xtreame (or other name brands) - it was like 50 mill or 75 mill thick + the 3/4 Fat mat (or dynomat brand has one and its the thick foam with aluminum backing - self sticking). Both work great and together they will give you maxiumum sound and heat rejection. I tried some generic stuff but they are not as thick and not as sticky IMO. So do it right and do it once.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
"So do it right and do it once"

One of my favorite lines..."funny how no one has time to do it right but always has time to do it over".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #10

THOR #5837
Okay, I started with the doghouse using the recommended Dynamat Hoodliner. I need to drive it to the shop tomorrow, so I'll find out then if it makes much difference. In my driveway it sounds maybe a little quieter, but it's not a huge difference.

I noticed when I had the doghouse removed, there is a mostly horizontal curved metal bulkhead/firewall between the dash and the engine, and it also has some of the factory cardboard/foil insulation on the underside of it, similar to what was inside the doghouse. It does sound to me like a lot of the engine noise is coming from the center dash area, so I'm thinking that adding some of the hoodliner material to that bulkhead might help. It's a difficult area to work in, though, and there isn't much room there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV doghouse insulation.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	13164   Click image for larger version

Name:	dynamat.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	13165  

Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Good job. I tired to add insulation to every single area I could reach under the dash (Even double up in some areas) plus under the hood and under the RV in the cockpit area. It really help with alot with sound and eliminated ALL heat but there is only so much you can do with sound when your sitting on the engine. But I only really notice it when your going up a steep hill.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Okay, I started with the doghouse using the recommended Dynamat Hoodliner. I need to drive it to the shop tomorrow, so I'll find out then if it makes much difference. In my driveway it sounds maybe a little quieter, but it's not a huge difference.
Looks good! We can't wait to hear what you're no longer hearing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Did an extremely easy/cheap sound damping. Bought a set of vent insulating pillows. Dramatically lowered the cab wind noise and we could talk. Next I plan to attack the engine compartment.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
Did an extremely easy/cheap sound damping. Bought a set of vent insulating pillows. Dramatically lowered the cab wind noise and we could talk. Next I plan to attack the engine compartment.
What are Vent insulating pillows?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
This helped quite bit....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	15258  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
What are Vent insulating pillows?
Thats the pillows that you put in your roof vents to insulate from heat and cold. But they also help with sound.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
This helped quite bit....
Yep, I have put so much sound / heat insulation in my Axis, Inside, under floor, under hood, under dash... Just about anywhere you can reach.

Its helps tremendously.

Even have tired a 2nd and 3rd layers in spots (like firewall and under dash). The extra layers help some ..... but not as much as the first layer so its hard to say if its worth a 2nd layer or not for most RVers.