Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #12820
Coach battery not charging

We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging. I thought this was an automatic function when connected to shore power. Ideas?

Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you remember to set your "Use/Store" switch to "Use"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I don’t know if your Quantum has this function, but my Axis and many other Thor RVs have a Battery Control Center (BCC) or BIRD and Trombetta (or similar) that allows shore power and generator to charge the chassis battery and the alternator to charge the house batteries. Store/use switch has to be in Use mode for this to work. In my Axis, the BIRD was miswired at the factory so the chassis battery did not charge under shore power or battery.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So I guess that "The Bird Is The Word..."

Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE Kerker View Post
We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging....
some questions to help us:

- 'why' do you need them 'charged' while being parked?
- 'why' do you think they are NOT being charged?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Battery

Quote:
We have a 2019 Quantum PD31. While connected to shore power the coach batteries don't seem to be charging. I thought this was an automatic function when connected to shore power. Ideas?
I have a 2018 PD31, the batteries charge on shore power.....I could not tell you where they hid the BIRD though!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #12820
WOW, that was it . All I had to do was click the main power switch and charging started instantly.
This is our first day out in our new Thor and I'm still learning how all the different systems work. Thanks to a very helpful forum group for taking some of the stress out of this learning process.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that is was this easy...

Enjoy your trip!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #9

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
In my 2018 Freedom Elite 22FE, when I plug into shore power, use switch automatically switches to on. I think yours should do the same and if not, and since it's a 2019, must be under warranty, get who ever you bought from check it out, if you bought from a dealer.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
In my 2018 Freedom Elite 22FE, when I plug into shore power, use switch automatically switches to on. I think yours should do the same and if not, and since it's a 2019, must be under warranty, get who ever you bought from check it out, if you bought from a dealer.
Just because the light is lit doesn't mean the switch is on in your coach. It just means there is power supplied to the DC buss (by the converter if on SP and the switch is OFF or in STORE).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Just because the light is lit doesn't mean the switch is on in your coach. It just means there is power supplied to the DC buss (by the converter if on SP and the switch is OFF or in STORE).
I don't have a "store" switch in my rig. It's an on off and comes on with shore power automatically when I plug in to shore power. 110v outlets work and everything else 110v. Yours must be different than mine.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I don't have a "store" switch in my rig. It's an on off and comes on with shore power automatically when I plug in to shore power. 110v outlets work and everything else 110v. Yours must be different than mine.
I said "OFF". We're talking about 12 VDC. Of course your 120 VAC appliances work when on SP. Your DC loads will as well. It doesn't mean your battery is connected to the DC buss.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #13

THOR #8606
I don't know what a DC buss is, what it looks like or if one, where it's located. I'm not an expert as some seem to be and pardon me for being a dumb noob to R.V.s. All I care about is red light on everything works on AC and DC and batteries are charging. And I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, "of course".
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah some of the Freedom RV's don't have a switch labeled Use/Store and it operates a little differently than the traditional Use/Store switch but has a similar purpose: To disconnect the 12V system from the battery(ies) in an attempt to hold their charge longer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I don't know what a DC buss is, what it looks like or if one, where it's located. I'm not an expert as some seem to be and pardon me for being a dumb noob to R.V.s. All I care about is red light on everything works on AC and DC and batteries are charging. And I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, "of course".
And that is why we are all here: to learn more about our RVs.

The DC buss is simply the 12 Volt DC power distribution system in your RV. The CONVERTER which takes your 120 VAC and converts it to 12 VDC to supply the loads on the DC buss and charge the battery is hard wired to the DC buss (through fuses).

Your battery is connected to the DC buss by a relay controlled by your ON-OFF switch (or USE-STORE switch).

In your coach there is a red light that lights when there is power to the DC buss. The light does not care where the power comes from. If you are plugged into SP then the light will light and show 12 VDC on the DC buss.
If you are not plugged into SP and your switch is is OFF there will be no light, but if you put the switch in ON, the battery will supply the light and your DC loads (like cabin lights, fridge, water heater, furnace) will function.

If you are plugged into SP the light will be lite whether your switch is in ON or OFF; BUT, if you put the switch in OFF your battery will not charge (unless you have a unique coach that is not wired normally).

My initial post was just to inform you that the red light does not necessarily mean your battery is charging.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Nobody is dumb in here: some of the rigs (Probably most of them!); have configurations that might be a bit... different!
So we either have to adapt what we learn to what we have: or we wait until someone in here with a comparable rig can explain it to us in a manner that makes sense.

The explanations you got just may have not been what you were looking for...
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #17

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
WOW, that was it . All I had to do was click the main power switch and charging started instantly.
This is our first day out in our new Thor and I'm still learning how all the different systems work. Thanks to a very helpful forum group for taking some of the stress out of this learning process.
Yeah, the dealer or the manufacturer should make a DVD of the 'way' the RV works. Like, how to do this, how to do that. How about they build a say 1000 digit readout for problems and what you can do to trouble shoot. 100 series for engine, 200 for body, 300 for trans and wheels... Don't seem difficult to put this together really. Might have to print 2-3 discs but that wouldn't be too tough to do. With the cost of RV, why can't they spring for operation / troubleshooting DVDs?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #18

THOR #8606
The so called "owners manual" I got with my 2018 Freedom Elite is nothing but a manual with general information and not specific to my rig. I've learned more from this site and others on the internet than anything in that manual.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Yeah, the dealer or the manufacturer should make a DVD of the 'way' the RV works. Like, how to do this, how to do that. How about they build a say 1000 digit readout for problems and what you can do to trouble shoot. 100 series for engine, 200 for body, 300 for trans and wheels... Don't seem difficult to put this together really. Might have to print 2-3 discs but that wouldn't be too tough to do. With the cost of RV, why can't they spring for operation / troubleshooting DVDs?
Thor depends on the dealer and their PDI to teach you how the coach works and where everything is located. A good PDI will take about 5 hours over two days. You are wise to video the entire PDI. The dealer should require you to spend one night in the coach before you leave the lot and make sure you have used all the coach's systems. Anything less and the dealer has violated their contract with Thor. I had the opportunity to spend a day with Thor's south-east dealer trainer this spring. A very informative day. There are seven salesman trainers on Thor's payroll plus 12 maintenance trainers which travel the US. Thor has 14 plants and 197 operating facilities producing 54,000 motorized units consisting of 184 different models and configurations (2017).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
The so called "owners manual" I got with my 2018 Freedom Elite is nothing but a manual with general information and not specific to my rig. I've learned more from this site and others on the internet than anything in that manual.
I agree: These forums are worth their weight in free firewood, propane, and fresh water!