Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
DNS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
convection/microwave in Challenger GT

We recently bought a 2015 Challenger GT. The MSRP sticker, as well as the brochure and their web site all says that the microwave is a convection (as a standard feature). We have never had one before and honestly did not notice right away, but it is not a convection. With no oven in the motor home, we were counting on the convection/microwave. I contacted Thor and at first they seemed willing to switch out, but now I am having trouble getting the woman to return my calls, so nothing has been solved. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Mine is definitely convection.

Does you coach have the standard (actually optional) oven? The reason I ask is that with the standard oven option the microwave is not convection. The micro/convec only comes, to the best of my knowledge, without the LPG oven.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
DNS

THOR #2222
It does not have an oven. That is why the convection is important to us. Every document lists a convection/microwave as standard.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
I agree it is important. FWIW the Micro in my 37ND is a Whirlpool Model YWMH76718AS - 2 which is microwave and convection.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
DNS

THOR #2222
Our model number is Whirlpool YWMH31017AS-1.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Looks like they gave you the wrong one.

You said you called them, did you try sending an email? Something like "false advertising" mentioned in the email may get a faster response.

You may also ask them for your build sheet and component listing. The component listing will give you the model and serial numbers for most items installed on the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
DNS

THOR #2222
Thanks Dave. This is an obvious mistake and I am just having a hard time imagining that ours is the only one with the wrong microwave. I am getting pretty annoyed with Thor. We are going to contact the dealer tomorrow and maybe the sales department at Thor.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Sorry to hear about the issue, my experience has been Thor being very responsive, except for one individual. When talking to that person I hung up and called back an got someone with a half a brain.

I have found sometimes that an email to Thor often gets a faster response than a telephone call.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Plus with an email you have a paper trail.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
DNS

THOR #2222
I started out with an email. The response I received was that if the MSRP sticker said that and that is not what we got, it must have been obsolete. Really?? It was the sticker that came with the coach. No sense to that one at all. I had even explained in the email that it was on every document that came with our motor home that it had a convection/microwave as a standard feature. When I first called, the woman put me on hold quite a lot, but after checking the microwave model number agreed we did not have a convection and we should have. But now she will not return my calls.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
You might be surprised to find that the dealership's service department may have switched it out. Although they are not officially supposed to harvest parts from unsold RVs, virtually all dealerships occasionally do it, if it means making a sale.

Someone else probably demanded a convention microwave before they would sign the sale/delivery documents, and you now have theirs!

All you need to do to determine if it was installed at the Thor assembly line is to find your build sheet, (or ask Thor customer service to email it to you). It usually adhered to the inside of a closet cabinet in the bedroom.

The build sheet has the exact serial number of all of the appliances installed at the Thor factory assembly line.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
The component listing for my Challenger was not provided at delivery. I had to request it from Thor. It does, however, list the model and serial numbers of the conv/micro in my coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The component listing for my Challenger was not provided at delivery. I had to request it from Thor. It does, however, list the model and serial numbers of the conv/micro in my coach.
The big "Foam Finger of Blame" appears to be pointing at the dealership for swapping out the convection microwave.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Beacher,

The issue is not with my coach. My was correct at delivery. I just didn't get the component list at that time.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #15
DNS

THOR #2222
Great suggestion. We checked the build sheet and it actually lists the wrong microwave. The one that came with it. Not the one that should have. Fortunately I heard from the woman at Thor and I believe it is being taken care of.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #16
DNS

THOR #2222
Update 9/18
Heard back from Thor, they shipped us a new convection microwave. Only took about a week and a half to arrive. Received it last Friday.
We were a bit concerned about the weight & tight space to work in, but it wasn't too bad. It should have taken a couple of hours but overall took about 7 total because initially we could only get 1 screw in the top due to the mounting bracket being installed a little bit skewed.
Overall, we're pleased and relieved with the outcome and happy to get it resolved.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
Update 9/18
Heard back from Thor, they shipped us a new convection microwave. Only took about a week and a half to arrive. Received it last Friday.
We were a bit concerned about the weight & tight space to work in, but it wasn't too bad. It should have taken a couple of hours but overall took about 7 total because initially we could only get 1 screw in the top due to the mounting bracket being installed a little bit skewed.
Overall, we're pleased and relieved with the outcome and happy to get it resolved.
Which campground gets to smell the fresh baked bread?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #18
DNS

THOR #2222
LOL - That will be Fort Wilderness at Disney (next trip).