Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #1042
Tire Pressure Thor 22E Chateau

Most all forum stress tire pressure as a key to a class drivability. They say the first step is a 4 corner weigh in, so today I had the weigh in.....driver frt 1780, pass frt 2060, driver dully 3580, pass dually 3040, total coach wt 19260. So according to Michelin rv wt table it put my pressures at about 55 frt and 55 rear. that seems very low.....what do ya think?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Did a "9" sneak into your total coach weight?

I am thinking that 55lbs seems way too low. It can be dangerous if the tire pressures are significantly too low or too high. Thor put a sticker on your coach showing the recommended tire pressure when the coach left the factory, and there should also be a yellow sticker showing the actual weight.

I would compare the weight difference from what you measured vs when it left the factory. If they are not significantly different, then I would not go very far from the recommended air pressure.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #3

THOR #1042
tire pressure

Your correct, typo no 9 should be 0 for total at 10260. As for Thor PW on wt and tire pressure, I have none
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #285
I use the recommended inflation pressures placarded on my 22E which coincide with the load & inflation chart from the factory. They allow loading up to the front & rear GAWR & the total GVWR. I verify I'm within the weight limits using CAT Scale.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Yea, that is the sticker I was thinking of.

Interesting to note that for my 28Z, I have a GVWR of 14,500lbs, and have the same tires as you do. The recommended pressures on my sticker are 75psi for the front tires and 80psi for the rear.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #6

THOR #1042
Same sticker in mine with wt and TP the same. Will try running like this while toad towing.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

THOR #1042
Well wasn't to bad as long as you stay below 60 mph. Which isn't to bad...I just don't understand why it seems to want to tail wag, sway or what ever while towing.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I haven't got my weights rechecked since sorting out my loading in my new rig.
My prelim weighing told me that my weights were pushing up fairly close to my ratings so I know I'm on the higher end of things....
So I have been running the sidewall pressure of 80psig at all four corners.
So far no complaints in ride or handling.

I wonder how upping to pressures might perform.
regardless, it sounds like something is wrong in your set-up.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #9

THOR #1042
Do you mean upping the pressure in rear only from 65 to 70?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #10

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgantz View Post
Do you mean upping the pressure in rear only from 65 to 70?
I don't really mean anything in particular, other than to pose the question that a higher pressure might perform better.
I really don't know, but it seems to me that a tail wag is really a soft suspension being acted on by some outside force that is out of "balance" or alignment".... i don't mean wheel balance or alignment, necessarily..... just some side forces acting on the rig.
The way I'm looking at it, soft tires are one component in a soft suspension system.
and regardless, I'd rather err on high pressure than than low.....
and from what I understand the only negative to a tire pressure set too high is a rougher ride.... so the only reason to reduce pressure would be to smooth out the ride.

I'm not a "tire engineer", "automotive engineer", or in any way an expert in these things.... but if it were me, I would set the pressures to either the sidewall max pressure or the manufacturer's pressures as posted in the door jamb, whichever is higher and carefully see what happens..... then if the ride is too rough, or whatever.... slowly drop incrementally down going no lower than the tire load tables..... But I certainly wouldn't start at the low number as I'd rather err on the high side

But as I mentioned before, it seems to me that there could very well be something wrong with your set-up causing a side loading.
Have you checked your wheel alignment?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

THOR #1042
It seems like a book as to what I tried over the last couple months. Lowered and raised tire pressure, have never gone to sidewall max. Alignment showed nothing wrong. Added bilstein steering stabilizer (great help), installed Blue ox Tiger Trak (greater help). But it still wants to wag a little over 60. I'm really discouraged over this because we went from a 25' trl to a motor home because my wife was afraid to tow the trl. But now she helps drive, were like a bunch of turtles on the road....

I really appreciate your input!!! Thx
Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #12

THOR #908
I'm just brainstorming here, but I wonder if a better sway bar might be your solution.

I was thinking panhard rod (based solely on reading other posts), but I think that Tiger Track is a panhard rod.... not sure.

A couple resources for you
A motorhome handling primer

Sway control