Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Cover for Axis

Has anyone out there bought a cover for their Axis that fits? I bought the small ADCO Class A Designer Series (for a 25 - 28 foot coach). I put it on yesterday. It went on easy enough with me up top and DW working on the ground.

I expected it to be a bit too big, but our poor Axis looks like a 3-year-old wearing daddy's coat. It's way too wide and much more than 3 feet too long. If I tugged the side straps hard enough I think the side panels would meet in the middle underneath. I've got enough left over on each end to cover a Cooper Mini.

It will work for this winter, but I'm a bit worried about all of the flapping that will be going on when the wind picks up. I think the coach will be OK, but I doubt the cover will be good for more than this year.

So, anyone found one that actually fits? I'm wondering if maybe a class-c version might fit better.

Regards,

Randy

Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This is the Class-C version on ours. I figured the chassis was more Class-C sized than the A one.

I'm pretty sure its this one:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...23-to-26/44052
(Can't find any of the documentation for it.)

I find putting it on is pretty easy if you follow the directions: I lay it out on our lawn and turn it inside out. Then I pack it into the "sack" that it came with with the front on top. At the camper I pull it out of the sack as I climb the ladder pulling it up and over the front. With the cover inside out I just drop the sides down and climb back down the ladder.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

THOR #1147
That looks like it fits much better. I'll have to remember for when I replace ours.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I am very new to RV'ing. I did have an Airstream Interstate 3500 for two years before buying the Axis last month.

I was always told not to use a cover on the Aistream, but then I drove it some almost every week; at least a day or two, three weeks of the month. I am in southern Indiana and we get some, but not a lot of snow.

Should I have a cover too or is it better to have one further north?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Its more than just snow. The cover also protects the outside of the camper from rain, and UV damage. Look at some of the older campers: They look all "powdery" and faded, decals peeling off, etc. If the unit is covered the outside (and inside) is protected from the UV fade.
We never covered our 5th wheel and the outside lost its gloss, the decals got brittle and peeled off and the vent hatches got brittle and shattered during a hailstorm. In addition, the inside fabrics all faded.
For the Axis we're going to take a bit more care of it (already got the "plugs" for the hatches to keep the light from coming through in addition to the cover).

Over time UV damage can get quite nasty.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I think a Class C cover might fit your Axis better, until someone comes up with a cover specifically for your type coach.

Thing is, your Axis (width and height) is closer to a Class C than a Class A, so it would probably fit better. For example, the published specs for your coach is 11'-3" high x 94" wide. In contrast, the typical Class A is closer to 12~13ft high x 99" wide.

The cover I have is a Classic Accessories Inc PermaPro cover for Class C. They are rather expensive as it is a premium cover, but it has straps that go under the bottom that cinch the cover tight.

My cover is a Model 5, made for coaches 29ft to 32ft. My coach measures 29'-11" - essentially 30ft, but the cover is a bit long. Width and height wise, it's perfect (My height is 10'-10" x 99").

The Model 4 is 26~29ft, which might be too small for my coach, so I guess I have to contend to a floppy front/rear. This year though, I mitigated the extra "flop" in the rear by virtue of the towbar and bike rack that fills out the void somewhat.

The front is still a bit sloppy, but there are side-to-side straps that take up much of the slack.

However, Classic makes two Class A covers, the standard size (up to 122") and a tall size (140"), so perhaps one of those would work as well.

Last year, the cover survived 2ft of snow on the roof.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Here is a cute time lapse I did when we put our cover on:

http://www.rv-project.com/gear/tarp1.mov

We used a ladder rather than climbing on the roof of the RV because the power line to the house is dangerously close to anyone standing on the top of the roof.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The cover we got fits pretty well all the way around. The straps in the front and rear pull the ends tight. There are also about eight straps that go underneath to hold it all together.
As you can see in my picture I posted above about the only "overhang" was the excess at the front and rear.
FW28z: On all the covers I see in our storage lot everyone has crossed the front and rear straps (making an X on the front & rear). In your image you're going straight across--any particular reason why? (I tried it both ways on our cover and the "X" method seemed to hold the cover tighter to the coach.)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
No particular reason, other than that was how it was shown in the directions.

Thanks for the tip on the "X" configuration - I think it might help tighten it up a bit as I think it will pull the material in a bit more.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Well I found that due to the design of the cover, I could not "X" the front (it lifted the bottom skirt over the bumper), but I was able to do so at the back.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

THOR #1147
Thanks all. Good info. I'll definitely look into the class-C version when it's time to replace the current one.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1327
I get deliver on my Axis in January and don't plan on using until early spring. I see you at in MI as we are in CO so our needs might be similar. Is there a link or list of what to do for winterization, covering, battery, inside protection during the storage months? Do you suggest getting an inside storage unit or being outside is ok?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
There are a couple topics in this forum discussing winterization in general, like this one:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...24-sr-942.html
and this one:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ta-sr-917.html
Both are relevant to the Axis as its water system is very similar. Fortunately on the Axis all the plumbing you need access to is underneath the passenger rear bed (on the 24.1). Typically if you're picking up your RV in winter the dealer will deliver it already winterized (ours actually flushed the system with water, showed us everything working, and then winterized it in front of us so we know how to do it in the future).
Old 11-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5125
Vegas 25.1 Cover

I know this thread is a bit old but it was a big help in purchasing our cover. We have a Vegas 25.1 so it is 26.1 feet long not counting the ladder. We purchased the Elements Tyvek RV Cover for a 26.1-29 foot Class C. Bought the cover at CW approx. $350. + tax.

Hope it holds up!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4916 Smaller.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	3399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4920.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	3400  

Old 08-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #10392
Cover for Axis

Hi there - wondering how your cover held up?
We are looking for a cover for our 2017 Vegas 25.2 and the dealer suggested ADCO Model 34823. However, given the initial post on this thread (2014), I am a little concerned about fit.
https://www.coveritcanada.ca/covercr...s-a-motorhomes
Old 08-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurine View Post
Hi there - wondering how your cover held up?
We are looking for a cover for our 2017 Vegas 25.2 and the dealer suggested ADCO Model 34823. However, given the initial post on this thread (2014), I am a little concerned about fit.
https://www.coveritcanada.ca/covercr...s-a-motorhomes
Pick a class C cover that fits the length of your Axis. Your Axis is built on the same frame as a class C unit and thus has similar height and width dimensions as one. I picked one up; it fits well and has lasted us for several seasons now.

A class A cover won't fit tight enough.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Pick a class C cover that fits the length of your Axis. Your Axis is built on the same frame as a class C unit and thus has similar height and width dimensions as one. I picked one up; it fits well and has lasted us for several seasons now.

A class A cover won't fit tight enough.
Jamie, you are a wealth of information and I like your posts. I have an Axis 24.2 and I am looking for a cover for it. I am thinking about an expedition cover. What kind did you get and how is it holding up? I also figured the class C would be a better fit. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculating View Post
Jamie, you are a wealth of information and I like your posts. I have an Axis 24.2 and I am looking for a cover for it. I am thinking about an expedition cover. What kind did you get and how is it holding up? I also figured the class C would be a better fit. Thanks in advance.
I got the standard one that Camping World offered at the time. Its made from Tyvek and has held up for 4 years (although I think this winter may be its last--there are some significant tears on it now).
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I got the standard one that Camping World offered at the time. Its made from Tyvek and has held up for 4 years (although I think this winter may be its last--there are some significant tears on it now).
Thanks for the super fast reply. My coach is going to be washed, de-oxidized and waxed and I want it to last. I am too old to do it myself so I really want it to last awhile.