Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Valve Extentions for the Axis/Vegas

Has anyone replaced the valve extensions for the Axis/Vegas? If so, what did your order?

Phil

Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Phil,
I replaced the valve extenders on my inner tires a few months ago because I couldn't get air to go in them nor get a pressure reading. I got the hub mounted stainless steel extenders from CW similar to the ones here but when I got them there were only 2 in the pack so I'm not sure these are the exact ones I got. I had a local shop install them when I had the alignment done. Haven't had any problems with them since installation and easy to adjust and check air pressure. Thor compensated me for the replacement after I sent them the defective ones.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:07 AM   #3

THOR #1123
Uh oh!! Forgot to post link. Here it is:

RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Travel Trailers - Camping World › ... › Wheel Accessories
Old 07-22-2015, 02:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My coach is not an Axis but when I bought it I had the dealer install extenders as a condition of sale.

The ones installed are I believe Dicor stainless steel braided extenders.

One point to note is that if you have a TPMS installed or are planning to install one the extenders should be supported so the weight of the TPMS cap/valve does not cause the extender to loosen due to tire rotation.

Here is a pic of the system installed on my coach. Although I have polished aluminum wheels Dicor also makes a set that secures to wheel liners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 2.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	624

The bracket that secures the extender is secured to the hub cover.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

THOR #1123
Looks as if the link I posted earlier didn't show the valve extenders. I tried posting it via my I-Pad and didn't go thru as I hoped so I'll try again with my computer:

Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels - Wheel Masters 8001 AM4 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

I also have the EZ Tire TPMS installed on all tires which allows air to flow thru with no problems. The hub mount gives good support as Dave mentioned for the sensors.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Looks as if the link I posted earlier didn't show the valve extenders. I tried posting it via my I-Pad and didn't go thru as I hoped so I'll try again with my computer:

Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels - Wheel Masters 8001 AM4 - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

I also have the EZ Tire TPMS installed on all tires which allows air to flow thru with no problems. The hub mount gives good support as Dave mentioned for the sensors.
The components on your link look the same as the components on mine.

I like the way they say easy installation and no special tools required however they display about a half dozen pop rivets.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

THOR #1123
Very true, Dave. I remember the mechanic saying he had a bit of a problem getting the rivets into the hub straight away with the hub design, but don't remember exactly what the issue was. It came out fine though.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1249
While on the topic of valve extenders; here is a precautionary tip told to me by a guy who lost a rear hub cap or simulator etc. which had valve extenders. This happened while driving on the Tapanzee bridge at night in a heavy rain. The hub cap ripped the valve extenders from the tire which resulted in two flat tires and a ton of trouble and expense. I now fasten mine with SS safety wire looped thru the rim in two places each. This is only a problem on the 16" wheels I think, since a neighbor of mine has the larger size wheels and says his bolt to the rim.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Good Point.

I have seen some extension kits where the valve clips onto the steel wheel instead of the wheel simulator. There are also some where the extender is supported by a clamp positioned in the wheel's hand hole.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
I had the valve extenders replaced and Thor reimbursed me for the expense. They were defective, as many are. I had the front-end aligned, and Thor reimbursed me for that expense as well. The Vegas handled poorly and squirrely until I had this done. Use the rigid, bronze or stainless steel extenders. The braided Stainless hoses seem to have issues. You must break down the tire to have the rigid extenders installed. Its an expense, but worth every penny. Also, get a TPMS. Knowing you tire pressure and temp of every tire at a glance of the screen is reassuring. Cheap insurance.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
What TPMS is available at an affordable price?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #12

THOR #1123
I use the EZ tire TPMS. Pretty easy to set up and doesn't have to be removed to check or adjust air pressure. This is the one I have:

TPMS SYSTEM (8 FLOW THROUGH SENSOR)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Diff coach but same wheels I think

I removed the factory extenders due to leaks on the inner wheels
The outers are still in place

I tried to install a Crossfire equalizing system on mine, but couldn't figure an EASY bit good way to install it with my simulators
So I just installed a TPMS, but had to cut and bend the simulators to even get that to work.

I just ordered some rigid extenders for the inners from ebay, but haven't tried them yet. i hope to find some grommet supports for them, and hopefully they'll help with easier access to the TPMS transmitters
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #14

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Phil,
I replaced the valve extenders on my inner tires a few months ago because I couldn't get air to go in them nor get a pressure reading. I got the hub mounted stainless steel extenders from CW similar to the ones here but when I got them there were only 2 in the pack so I'm not sure these are the exact ones I got. I had a local shop install them when I had the alignment done. Haven't had any problems with them since installation and easy to adjust and check air pressure. Thor compensated me for the replacement after I sent them the defective ones.
Larry, just curious now that you've had the 24.1 for a while. Any second thoughts about the Axis and anything you would have done differently when ordering? I'm moving toward ordering and just wanted your opinion.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #15

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
I had the valve extenders replaced and Thor reimbursed me for the expense. They were defective, as many are. I had the front-end aligned, and Thor reimbursed me for that expense as well. The Vegas handled poorly and squirrely until I had this done. Use the rigid, bronze or stainless steel extenders. The braided Stainless hoses seem to have issues. You must break down the tire to have the rigid extenders installed. Its an expense, but worth every penny. Also, get a TPMS. Knowing you tire pressure and temp of every tire at a glance of the screen is reassuring. Cheap insurance.
I noticed you have a 24.1 and wanted to ask you the same as i did Larry. Anything you would do differently when getting an Axis? Different model? Different options? Would you do it again? probably close to ordering the 24.1. just curious of your opinion now of the unit. thanks. Dave