Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #816
Daybreak 28PD Air Conditioner

Looking at a Daybreak 28PD which has one 15,000 BTU air conditioner. The second one is not an option on it and is equipped with the 4000 generator which I understand will only run one air unit anyway. This is an approximate 30 ft motorhome. Should one air conditioner (15BTU) be adequate to cool this unit?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Depends on where you are at what time of the year.
Most of time (not all) up here in the northern part of the US it would probably do it. Down south, no.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #3

THOR #816
We will never be south during the summer months but may want to during Jan-Apr, then back up North. Love the U.P. of MI during the summer months. There's only a 30 amp service so I could not add one without updating that too which I wouldn't want to put the $$$$ into a small motorhome like this. We want to stay small as we are tired of towing our 40 ft around. Very slim pickings on motorhomes in our area. We have to make an 8 hour minimum drive just to reach the first dealers that have them. We really like the Daybreak so far but like I said it only has the one air conditioner.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
If it's wired and supported for the 2nd unit, you could set up a 120V recept. in one of the compartments and just run a extra extension cord out to the post for that unit. Probably wouldn't need to big of a one for the 2nd. So there wouldn't be any issue with 120V handling it.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
We bought our Four Winds 28Z last fall (which is closer to 30ft) and it has a 13,500 BTU AC. So we will find out this summer if it is adequate (we live in Michigan as well).

Before we bought the motorhome, we owned a Carver 325 boat that had both a 16,000 BTU and a 10,000 BTU AC on board. The combination of the two AC units kept the boat cool enough. But one season the 16,000 BTU AC quit working, and the 10,000 BTU unit was not enough to keep the boat cool, even along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

The 10,000 BTU unit would keep enough to cool the boat in the evening and early morning, but noon to nine PM, it was not enough.

So as I compare that to my RV, I am still thinking that 13,500 BTU will be enough at least in the north, because the boat was a bit larger (32ft long x 12ft wide), and had no insulation in it, and had a huge amount of glass for the windshield that angled up - making it more efficient in "catching" thermal energy from the sun.

So I am hoping at least the smaller RV (in sq ft) and having insulation will help the 13,5000 BTU AC enough to be OK.

Unfortunately, they are predicting a much colder summer than normal for the upper midwest, so we probably won't even need AC at all this year.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

THOR #816
I'm afraid your predication may be correct about the cooler weather. We have only had two days so far this season that our temps have been in the 60's. Our previous fifth wheel was a Cougar 327RESwhich was 36. Something feet. It also had a 30 Amp service with one 15BTU AC. We never had a problem with that one being too warm although we never went out of the U.P. Of MI with it. The new Jayco we bought again was 39.5 feet with dual units. We would run the 15 durning the day then in the later part of the day would run the 12 in the bedroom which kept us comfortable in the living area, plus without all the noise above your head. My wife really doesn't like AC unless it's really hot and dislikes the noise immensely. She has that ear ringing thing so that just adds to it. With that in hand I'm thinking we will be fine. I like the idea if we do need to add one of running a separate cord to the post. I did that in the Cougar we had when I installed the fireplace. I added a waterproof outlet on the out side so I could run a separate line to the Elec. Post but also had a switch inside whereas I could unplug the F.P. from the separate line and run it through the fifth wheeles Elec. Service. I like this Forum already, so good to get feed back from folks out there using these products. I'm going to start a post to see if anyone else has the model we are thinking about purchasing. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
We're a lot further south in Michigan... 40 miles north of the Indiana border. We did have a 80 deg day last week, but otherwise, it is been in the 50s and gloomy...

We'll probably see this kind of weather all the way up to the end of June.