Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I don't see the 72x76 king. Do they make customs?
We had them make a custom RV mattress about 15 years ago. We were very pleased with it. However according to this they don't. This link does say what sizes they do make.

FAQ's for Denver Mattress

Ken

Old 11-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can get custom foam mattresses made by any number of places on the internet. We got one made from The Foam Factory for our drop-down bunk.

You can really customize them: multiple layers of different kinds of foam, segmented so you can fold it up, etc.

The one we got was: 2" medium density foam topped with 2" memory foam in a tri-fold configuration. Its the most comfortable bed in the camper! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I think its time to do something about the RV mattress... certainly not built for the use we are giving it - and looking at the RV being our home now for a few months (at least until we sell one home and buy another...)

The hardest part is figuring what works without being able to try it...

I've seen suggestions here for several that are foam based... looks like Foam Factory will do an 8" thick of their medium HQ foam (rated 16 years) in short queen size for about $420 (including Dacron wrap...)
This is seeming like the way to go - but DW doesn't know if she'll like it without trying somehow.

I see Serta and Sealy have both had (at some time in recent years) inner spring versions for RV... but can't find anyone with them available to buy...
Never used an innerspring without a matching box spring/base under it, and don't see how one of those (box spring) will fit in without removing the slide from outside...
Anyone have experience with the innerspring on wood platform?

Other thoughts/suggestions welcome...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Personally I think the Denver with a foam topper is comfortable, but everybody is different. Foam topper is the easiest and least expensive route, just have to trim it to size.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
I used a beauty rest in my old RV quine size worked great.I don't know if a residential mattress would fit in a Thor.
My 34p has a short king :>(
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
My wife and I have differing opinions on the bed. The Denver mattress is not like sleeping on a cloud. We went to Kohls and bought a king size 4" memory foam mattress topper and now we can both agree that the bed is comfortable. Unfortunately if I replace it, it would need to be the RV king because when the bedroom slide comes in, the mattress touches the other side of the bedroom where the closets are so any longer mattress would cause an issue.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #27
gmc

THOR #2829
We've tried the mattress topper - Perfect Harmony from CW - they don't appear to sell it anymore. It helped some - but not long term (we've been living in the RV at least 3 months a year plus other vacations). Seeming it is the underlying mattress that is the issue. Not sure another topper would fix that?

Definitely need the short queen - its on the slide and up against cabinets when closed. The Sealy and Serta references I found were for the RV queen (60x75).

Going to do some more looking around for now.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Try this site it is for all the companies that make RV stuff.

Winnebago Industries

Hope this helps
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ewok, great list of suppliers! Thank you!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
Denver Mattress: add foam topper

Our ACE 29.3 has a full sized queen mattress and it is OK by itself. I had a queen foam topper on the 5th wheel we traded in for the ACE and moved it to the ACE. HUGE difference! Foam toppers are fabulous.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

I know this sounds bad, but....

we replaced our full queen mattress with a "mattress in a box" from Walmart for $300. it is an inner-spring with independent coils. It barely stiffer than I prefer, and have have a bamboo cooling topper from Amazon. Neither of us can feel the other getting in/out of bed. The mattress is directly on a wood platform. We are very happy with the setup.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #32
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluCamper View Post
I know this sounds bad, but....

we replaced our full queen mattress with a "mattress in a box" from Walmart for $300. it is an inner-spring with independent coils. It barely stiffer than I prefer, and have have a bamboo cooling topper from Amazon. Neither of us can feel the other getting in/out of bed. The mattress is directly on a wood platform. We are very happy with the setup.
After 3 1/2 months in the RV (this trip) - DW and I both had enough of the Denver mattress... We went your route - Short Queen "mattress in a box".
We got ours from Sears... they estimated 7-10 days - and we had it in 3.

Take the rolled up mattress into the bedroom (don't open it outside.. lol) - cut the straps and unroll it to a very thin/flat mattress. Cut the plastic bag around it and poof - 10" high firm inner spring mattress with a pillowtop.
Let it sit for 24 hours using one of the alternate beds for the night - and have slept in it for a week now. MUCH better.
As you said - can't feel the other getting in/out of bed.

Here's what I got... and just noticed they lowered the price - so filled out their 'price protection' form... $259.99 now - still free shipping. ($45 less than I paid 10 days ago.)
Sears.com

(Amazon had it slightly cheaper at the time - BUT you had to be a prime member AND they were estimating 6 week delivery - they would contact you to set a date after they had your money... With the price reduction now - Sears is cheaper.)

As for the original Denver mattress (this is 2014 unit) - I was able to fold it in quarters and stuff it in back of a 2 door jeep wrangler to take it away... I'll admit this was used more than the average in last 3 years - unit had been used one season when we got it (regular use) - we've spent easily over 12 months living in RV in last 2 1/2 years we've owned it. But still...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #33

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I think its time to do something about the RV mattress... certainly not built for the use we are giving it - and looking at the RV being our home now for a few months (at least until we sell one home and buy another...)

The hardest part is figuring what works without being able to try it...

I've seen suggestions here for several that are foam based... looks like Foam Factory will do an 8" thick of their medium HQ foam (rated 16 years) in short queen size for about $420 (including Dacron wrap...)
This is seeming like the way to go - but DW doesn't know if she'll like it without trying somehow.

I see Serta and Sealy have both had (at some time in recent years) inner spring versions for RV... but can't find anyone with them available to buy...
Never used an innerspring without a matching box spring/base under it, and don't see how one of those (box spring) will fit in without removing the slide from outside...

You should be just fine putting the innerspring on the platform. That is all the 'box springs' are anymore is just a hollow platform, no springs at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #34

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Georgia
THOR #6687
Four Winds Mattress with Right Cut Corner

Hi, everyone. Been reading these posts and am not sure if our situation is different. We have a 22 foot Four Winds with a Denver Mattress with a right cut corner for access to the bathroom. We bought the RV used and didn't notice until our first trip, that the outer edges (about 12" worth) slants towards the middle with the result that the wife and I are pushed up against each other (not bad for some things, but no good for sleeping). The RV is a 2015 model, so we do not know if the previous owner was an individual that would have compressed the center. I have contacted Denver Mattress, and at first they said that it was a "comfort" issue, but would help me file a warranty claim, and sell me a higher end mattress at a discounted price. Now, I am being told that they were not aware that it was a right cut corner mattress and they do not have one that will fit our space. If they manufactured one to fit when the Four Winds was built, why don't they have a replacement? Thanks for letting me vent.

Are there any other companies out there that can accommodate our needs?