Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #7264
Unhappy Needing Oil Changed

I have a 2017 Thor-Axis that's in need of a break-in oil change. Dealership currently without a mechanic. Referred me today to a Grease Monkey/Jiffy Lube etc. I'm wondering if my FORD (gas V-10) warranty would be affected if done by an outside vendor other than Ford or company who sold us motor home? Anyone with any info or ideas please advise (can't change at home live in condo with very strict auto rules-windshield wiper fluid only!). Thanks!

Old 08-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Changing the oil yourself doesn't void the warranty so why would having anyone else do it void it?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Only advise I can offer is that the "quicky" lube places don't employ the best mechanics in the world. Because of timing issues I had to use them twice last year for my SUV. The second time they said they could not get the oil filter off because some dummy had put it on too tight. When I showed them the paperwork that showed them doing the last oil change they didn't know what to say. Dealer had to break the oil filter housing and replace it in order to get it done. I will never use one of those places again.

But I guess if you have to use one then you have to, just don't be surprised if something goes wrong.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Anyone can service your MH. The thing you MUST do is keep ALL of your maintenance receipts in the event of a catastrophic failure of some kind. They will also be handy when and if you decide to sell your Axis.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Most dealerships don't' use their certified mechanics for oil changes, they use the same the flunkies that the quick change places use. The difference is the quick places are always wanting to sell you something else besides oil changes, ie; radiator flush, engine flush, headlight fluid, wiper sharpening, battery rotation, just say NO. Using them should NOT affect your warranty, NOT changing your oil would.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
THOR #8675
oil change

I would suggest finding a friend that would let you do it at their house. Here's my experience trying to get an oil change.
I have a new 2017 Freedom Elite 23H coming up for an oil change, Ford recommends 7500 miles. Camping world wants $169 my Ford dealer said they can't do because they can't fit MH's and suggested another place which wants $220. So bottom line will be doing myself for just about $40 using Mobile 1 and a Motorcraft filter.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoDenver View Post
I have a 2017 Thor-Axis that's in need of a break-in oil change. Dealership currently without a mechanic. Referred me today to a Grease Monkey/Jiffy Lube etc. I'm wondering if my FORD (gas V-10) warranty would be affected if done by an outside vendor other than Ford or company who sold us motor home? Anyone with any info or ideas please advise (can't change at home live in condo with very strict auto rules-windshield wiper fluid only!). Thanks!
I sold off a 33 footer on a Ford V10 chassis last year to downsize. I used to take the Ford to a local Oil Express. They changed the semi-synthetic oil, filter and lubed the chassis for $50.00 while I watched. Nice guys and always did a fine job. It's your vehicle so for "maintenance" items like brakes, batteries, bulbs and oil changes you can go anywhere you like.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
Quote:
If you actually got a referral if push came to shove with your warranty your probably on good ground. I would however be making dang sure they're putting the right oil in. Ultimately your going to be responsible.
Not saying they can't but I'd really be curious how/where Jiffy lube is going to do this. I called several quicky lubes around here and they all said they did not have the facilities to do a motor home. Same in Oregon.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
The local Ford dealer changed ours. They had to do it outside, but they were very good about it. I had full synthetic installed, brakes, fluids, tire depth & pressures checked for $77.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
My local Ford truck center does oil, filter and multi-point inspection for 60 bucks!
I'd check around, unless you are in a small town, then you are a captive audience!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #11

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
My local Ford truck center does oil, filter and multi-point inspection for 60 bucks!
I'd check around, unless you are in a small town, then you are a captive audience!!!
Small town, one Ford dealer. But, I wonder if "Mobile Fleet System" stores would be a good place to check out? dunno
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #578
I have 2 local Ford dealers who won't work on bigger RV's, they draw the line at 30 feet. The service manager said he's not comfortable with his techs manuovring something that big in his shop, plus it takes up too much space.

I have to drive about 30 minutes upnthe road to a Ford Truck Service Center. They do good work and are fast!!
Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Camping World - $165
My regularly used tire store - $35
Guess where I went.
It's oil folks, not some god given magic recipe.
Don't fall for all the marketing scams. You'll probably dump it again in 3 or 5000 miles.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 AM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
I would find a privately owned RV service business to do it before I would take the rig to any of the quickie lube places. I buy the Mobil One at Wally World and give it to them. I purchase their K&N oil filter to complete the job.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #15

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Oil Changes

I guess it all depends on where you live, who you have available and who you trust to do your RV oil changes. I'm fortunate I guess. I have used the same neighborhood Oil Express for many years. They have always done our cars and trucks be it Dodge, Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz. So when it was time for the 33' v10 oil change it was a no brainier for me. They have oversize doors and bays so it was no problem driving into their pit bays. I'm on a first name basis with the manager/owner and he has earned my trust. Now I will of course take this new Mercedes chassis RV to him when the time comes. Everyone's situation will be different so you just gotta go with your gut. Unless your mother in law is an oil changing grease monkey.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Lots of discrepancy in the prices here. Are we talking apples to apples? I know my 3.2 takes full synthetic and it's pricy. Ford dealer is $183.00 for an oil change ( 14 quarts), filter, tire service, general safety inspection and DEF top off. That relates to less than four cents a mile at 5000 miles between changes. That is very cheap maintenance.

I would suggest using whatever oil change service you trust but insure the proper oil is installed (don't just take their word for it), and keep all records. I actually ask for a small sample. If an issue with the warrantee arises all you should have to prove is duration, quantity and quality.

Edit: The 3.2 takes 12 quarts.