Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
THOR #8747
Diesel vs Gas????

I'm torn between diesel and gas for my next RV purchase. Thoughts on drive ability and power vs maintenance and fuel consumption. I'm moving up from TT so I'm really lost!!!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
In my opinion it depends on the size & weight. For me anything over 32-34' would have to be diesel due to power & fuel economy. Today's motorhomes seem to have 2 choices of power train, #1 Ford V10, #2 Ford V10, they are powerful & very thirsty. The diesel will get 10-15% better fuel mileage & I'd guess 20-50% more horsepower which if traveling in the mountains will make a very noticeable difference not to mention have an exhaust brake for the downgrades. And you wouldn't have as many limitations on what you tow behind it, unless it was extremely heavy you would never know it was back there & neither would the fuel mileage. Others will argue the maintenance & fuel cost, but both would be offset by the difference in fuel mileage, plus you go from 3-5k mile oil changes to 7.5-10k or once a year. It will always fit in a truck stop fuel lane & not have to pick & choose where to fill up.
As I said, just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
gas: cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair, ford v10 very very reliable,
gas is cheap, getting into gas station made for cars problematic

diesel ; more power but how fast do want to go in a motorhome, better fuel mileage bit unless you drive more 200k will never get the money back from the higher cost diesel purchase price , and parts / repair expensive.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How big are you looking? DP vs F-53 chassis or Super-C vs "normal" C? Sprinter or Ford Transit (Diesel)?

There are obvious cost differences there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

THOR #8747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How big are you looking? DP vs F-53 chassis or Super-C vs "normal" C? Sprinter or Ford Transit (Diesel)?

There are obvious cost differences there.

I'm thinking "normal" c somewhere under 30 feet.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor's "normal" C's are all gas. The Sprinter and Ford Transit chassis models are shorter than 30'.

To get a C in 30' range in Diesel you'd have to go with Super C.

My thoughts: Find the floorplan you like best and the options you like best and shop from there. It is likely that the costs will be a wash in the long run--depending on how you use and drive it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I've had 2 v-10 and 1 diesel. There have been advantages and disadvantages to both. I miss the diesel exhaust brake in the mountains as it was a real benefit towing, but this new V-10 with the 6 speed automatic is far superior to my last V-10 when it comes to towing. It utilizes engine braking way better than my last v-10. I'm getting about 8-9 with the v-10 and got about 12-13 with the diesel. Fuels costs have varied so I think that equals out of time. Maintenance on the diesel was about 30% more than gas but you get that back in longevity and overall miles (if you keep it long enough).

I've not had one of the newer baby diesels in the Class C (not super C) so I have no idea how they perform. If I could have afforded a new Super C I'd have bought one with them with either the Dodge or the Ford chassis but that was about another $40 to $50k to go Super C and at my age and income that is just out of range for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post

I've not had one of the newer baby diesels in the Class C (not super C) so I have no idea how they perform. If I could have afforded a new Super C I'd have bought one with them with either the Dodge or the Ford chassis but that was about another $40 to $50k to go Super C and at my age and income that is just out of range for me.
3.2 powerstroke is a nice running diesel. Doesn't come in anything bigger than about 24' to my knowledge. I got 16.5 mpg over 5000 miles. N. CAL to several Mid West areas and back to N.CAL. Surprisingly quick, it will run with traffic just about anywhere. We ran I 80 going and I 70 coming back. Cruises around 2k in T/H. Price wise was about the same as I paid for my 2014 Ram pickup. We are very happy with it.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're going with the V-10 (gas) in our 31 foot Class C.
The test drive showed the power to be... adequate. I doubt that I'd ever feel the need for a whole lot more!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We're going with the V-10 (gas) in our 31 foot Class C.
The test drive showed the power to be... adequate. I doubt that I'd ever feel the need for a whole lot more!
Good choice!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Besides: those aftermarket engine controllers are always available.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Consider how you will use it. For us, the choice boiled down to how we use it and price. My husband is not yet retired so cross-country trips are not happening for another 7 years. Our 38ft gasser takes 1 or 2 longish trips a year, (7-10 days, maybe 800-1k miles) and 2 or 3 local weekend trips a year during the winter. April to September it sits in an RV resort near the beach and serves as our weekend beach house. A gas rig is just more practical for what we do. A diesel costs about a third again as much and just didn't fit our budget right now.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #13

THOR #6739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks2017 View Post
I'm torn between diesel and gas for my next RV purchase. Thoughts on drive ability and power vs maintenance and fuel consumption. I'm moving up from TT so I'm really lost!!!
Buy whatever you can afford. Gassers are cheaper, if you have worked on cars, you may be able to do maintenance yourself. Noise level while driving may be higher than diesel pusher. We went thru the same decision tree ourselves 6 months ago - bought a diesel. Diesels ride better down the road and are quieter. Maintenance is expensive because I have no idea how to repair a diesel.

The reality is this: When you arrive at the RV Park, level the coach and push the slides out, there is no difference between the two. So like my grandaddy used to say "buy the best and cry once". In RVing, the "best is a relative notion. Best of luck!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #14

THOR #8747
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
Buy whatever you can afford. Gassers are cheaper, if you have worked on cars, you may be able to do maintenance yourself. Noise level while driving may be higher than diesel pusher. We went thru the same decision tree ourselves 6 months ago - bought a diesel. Diesels ride better down the road and are quieter. Maintenance is expensive because I have no idea how to repair a diesel.

The reality is this: When you arrive at the RV Park, level the coach and push the slides out, there is no difference between the two. So like my grandaddy used to say "buy the best and cry once". In RVing, the "best is a relative notion. Best of luck!

Great advice from everyone thanks. I'm leaning toward the sprinter diesel. I'm thinking my better half wants bigger so budget wise that will be Gas.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #15

State: California
THOR #8228
We did the same thing, I had to have a diesel and 34ft or less... Didn't want to spend that much, didn't want an older MH, didn't want, didn't want... What to do? The D/W said after looking for a year and a half, let's change our tactics and foregone ideas... We went for our favorite floor plan in the newest coach we could find and the best features we could afford, then waited to pounce on the best opportunity, while searching every single source...
We ended up with a 2015 Miramar 34.2 w/ 10k miles. Previous owners traded for something much bigger when they became pretty much full timers. But while they had it they upgraded to new TVs, radios, fantastic fans in all areas, solar (tho they took the panels but kept the wiring) & satellite... And more! In great condition for under 80k! Right place, right time... Gas, yes, but the must haves didn't come in a diesel pusher. Yes, I wish I had a little more power, sure. But this sleeps 8 and does 65 on the freeways without flinching and... has an outdoor kitchen (1 of those must haves). We did buy the Compass warranty, premium no deductible one, and in two weeks of ownership the inverter went out. Boom! $900 repair/replace but no out of pocket. Advise: know what you want, don't buy new, let previous owners go thru "RV fever" upgrading and then you benefit when they decide on something newer. (Statics say RV owners change vehicles about every 4 years). Best of luck.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #16

THOR #6739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
We did the same thing, I had to have a diesel and 34ft or less... Didn't want to spend that much, didn't want an older MH, didn't want, didn't want... What to do? The D/W said after looking for a year and a half, let's change our tactics and foregone ideas... We went for our favorite floor plan in the newest coach we could find and the best features we could afford, then waited to pounce on the best opportunity, while searching every single source...
We ended up with a 2015 Miramar 34.2 w/ 10k miles. Previous owners traded for something much bigger when they became pretty much full timers. But while they had it they upgraded to new TVs, radios, fantastic fans in all areas, solar (tho they took the panels but kept the wiring) & satellite... And more! In great condition for under 80k! Right place, right time... Gas, yes, but the must haves didn't come in a diesel pusher. Yes, I wish I had a little more power, sure. But this sleeps 8 and does 65 on the freeways without flinching and... has an outdoor kitchen (1 of those must haves). We did buy the Compass warranty, premium no deductible one, and in two weeks of ownership the inverter went out. Boom! $900 repair/replace but no out of pocket. Advise: know what you want, don't buy new, let previous owners go thru "RV fever" upgrading and then you benefit when they decide on something newer. (Statics say RV owners change vehicles about every 4 years). Best of luck.
That's the way to do it! Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #17

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I went with gas on mine. I don't tow, don't plan to, and did the math on the price difference between the two for very similar units that I was looking at and the recovery for price difference was 31 years based on today's fuel prices, not taking into account different insurance rates, personal property tax, vehicle license. Won't be alive in 31 years and if I am, biggest worry will be when and who's gona change my diaper, that's if I can remember at all.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I've had both gas and diesel. One thing will stop me from buying another diesel. I get tired of the smell. (both fuel and exhaust). No matter how careful I am I eventually manage to spill a little bit somewhere. Then I smell it for a few days and find it annoying. This is just my experience and I know everyone does not react the same way.

Ken
Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
just to add to the conversation:

I've owned a fifth-wheel with diesel tow vehicle, a ClassA gas Georgetown, and a ClassA diesel Palazzo, our current home...

I also deliver brand new ClassA's from the factories to RV dealers across the country... both Gas and Diesel.

I personally will not 'go back' to a gas unit, but that's for personal reasons: a diesel is a much smoother ride, has air bags, can lower the bags, has the engine and noise in the rear away from the driver/passengers, is more economical for fuel mileage, and easier to fuel as the fills are on both sides and near the driver. Diesel's also tend to have larger inverters and generators, and more batteries, with the generator up front away from the bedroom, and large inverters that power most everything in the coach, including the residential fridge, TVs, microwave, and 120v outlets.

BUT...
from a comparison angle: I would suggest that ANY ClassA coach is capable of going anywhere and everywhere you want to go. There is not a 'less than' capable new coach that can not run the mountains just like any other vehicle, it just may be at a slower pace. I've had gas coaches pass us while in our diesel, and I've passed gas coaches while delivering a diesel. Everyone drives differently, and you will be fine either way you go.
A gas coach, of the same length and floorplan, will be considerably less in cost than a diesel, simply because a diesel engine and chassis are different and more costly. Include air bags and larger generators and inverters, and you'll pay the difference for it. A diesel, though, also tends to have greater resale value, though I'm not sure if it's any 'different' than the relationship between the original cost of a gas coach and it's own resale value, if resale value is of any concern to you in the first place. I would not buy a coach just because of that.

I would buy one that:
A) has a floorplan that suits my needs, and the slides provide the room I desire
B) is in the budget range that I want to spend
C) has the engine platform that I want
D) has the size inverter and generator for drycamping, if I want to be 'off grid' often

yes, there are also differences beyond these simple comparisons, such as where the fuel fill is located, but don't let that be a pivotal part of your decision. Gas coaches get fuel everywhere in this nation everyday, at all sorts of different fuel stations, and all get where they are going. Diesels are the same, yet they have the option of using 'truck' lanes at truck stops, though that is not always a positive, especially if the lots are diesel laden and you have to wait on trucks that are pumping hundreds of gallons of fuel at a time. and, Don't let anyone cause you concern that your new coach will have problems 'getting over the mountains', that's just bunk. You'll learn to drive you coach, no matter diesel or gas, the way it was designed to drive.

in the end, a coach is a coach - it's up to you to enjoy it : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #20

THOR #8747
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
just to add to the conversation:

I've owned a fifth-wheel with diesel tow vehicle, a ClassA gas Georgetown, and a ClassA diesel Palazzo, our current home...

I also deliver brand new ClassA's from the factories to RV dealers across the country... both Gas and Diesel.

I personally will not 'go back' to a gas unit, but that's for personal reasons: a diesel is a much smoother ride, has air bags, can lower the bags, has the engine and noise in the rear away from the driver/passengers, is more economical for fuel mileage, and easier to fuel as the fills are on both sides and near the driver. Diesel's also tend to have larger inverters and generators, and more batteries, with the generator up front away from the bedroom, and large inverters that power most everything in the coach, including the residential fridge, TVs, microwave, and 120v outlets.

BUT...
from a comparison angle: I would suggest that ANY ClassA coach is capable of going anywhere and everywhere you want to go. There is not a 'less than' capable new coach that can not run the mountains just like any other vehicle, it just may be at a slower pace. I've had gas coaches pass us while in our diesel, and I've passed gas coaches while delivering a diesel. Everyone drives differently, and you will be fine either way you go.
A gas coach, of the same length and floorplan, will be considerably less in cost than a diesel, simply because a diesel engine and chassis are different and more costly. Include air bags and larger generators and inverters, and you'll pay the difference for it. A diesel, though, also tends to have greater resale value, though I'm not sure if it's any 'different' than the relationship between the original cost of a gas coach and it's own resale value, if resale value is of any concern to you in the first place. I would not buy a coach just because of that.

I would buy one that:
A) has a floorplan that suits my needs, and the slides provide the room I desire
B) is in the budget range that I want to spend
C) has the engine platform that I want
D) has the size inverter and generator for drycamping, if I want to be 'off grid' often

yes, there are also differences beyond these simple comparisons, such as where the fuel fill is located, but don't let that be a pivotal part of your decision. Gas coaches get fuel everywhere in this nation everyday, at all sorts of different fuel stations, and all get where they are going. Diesels are the same, yet they have the option of using 'truck' lanes at truck stops, though that is not always a positive, especially if the lots are diesel laden and you have to wait on trucks that are pumping hundreds of gallons of fuel at a time. and, Don't let anyone cause you concern that your new coach will have problems 'getting over the mountains', that's just bunk. You'll learn to drive you coach, no matter diesel or gas, the way it was designed to drive.

in the end, a coach is a coach - it's up to you to enjoy it : )

Sound advice. Thanks !!!!