Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #12734
Question Difference between the Windsports and Hurricanes

We are looking to purchase a motorhome and can't seem to get a answer to the question about the difference between the two. Can someone answer this for us?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
They are basically identical except for color schemes and trim inside and out. They are manufactured in the same plant in Elkhart, IN.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Yep. We looked at both and my wife thought the Windsport looked nicer.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Front and rear caps, interior & exterior material designs and the name on the side are the only differences. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport are all made in plant 750 and the only coaches made in Plant 750. Thor continues the legacy names because dealer's contract specify no other dealers can sell that brand with a specific area. Continuing the names allows four different dealers in the same area selling similar coaches and competing with each other. 100+ dealers selling 2,000+ plant 750 coaches a year.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

THOR #12734
Thank you all for the help
Old 08-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Model: WindSport 35M
State: South Carolina
THOR #12478
I heard that the Windsport is on a true Class A chassis and the Hurricane is on a Class C chassis

So I went with a 2018 Thor Windsport 35M. It drives a lot smoother too.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Hrd View Post
I heard that the Windsport is on a true Class A chassis and the Hurricane is on a Class C chassis

So I went with a 2018 Thor Windsport 35M. It drives a lot smoother too.
Hurricane and Windsport's are twins. The only difference between them is colors and the front fascia. Same chassis (F-53), same engine (V-10), etc.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

THOR #12734
Working on a Windsport 34J

We have found the one we like, now comes the back and forth with dealer. What we will pay (Cash) and what they will include in the price. Many dealers out there with same RV so it's either work with us or seeya'.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
What I love about this forum is all this stuff I don't know and that others are willing to share. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you can't have a Class A on a 'class C' chassis, as it then wouldn't be a Class A : )

Class C's are a factory built van/bus type chassis, with the typical front-end engine/hood out front... the RV factory then builds an RV house on it's chassis rails behind the driving area only. It's basically already road-worthy from Ford.

Class A's are only a raw chassis, whether diesel or gas, with no hood or body, and no driver dash/console - that and the rest of the RV 'house' is built by the RV factory. It's really just a 'raw' chassis...naked, even. It's certainly NOT road-worthy, and transported on the back of semi-trailers to even get to the RV factory, from Freightliner in Gaffney, SC, for example.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
Both the Hurricane and windsport are identical chassis ford F53 class A chasis.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you can't have a Class A on a 'class C' chassis, as it then wouldn't be a Class A : )

Class C's are a factory built van/bus type chassis, with the typical front-end engine/hood out front... the RV factory then builds an RV house on it's chassis rails behind the driving area only. It's basically already road-worthy from Ford.

Class A's are only a raw chassis, whether diesel or gas, with no hood or body, and no driver dash/console - that and the rest of the RV 'house' is built by the RV factory. It's really just a 'raw' chassis...naked, even. It's certainly NOT road-worthy, and transported on the back of semi-trailers to even get to the RV factory, from Freightliner in Gaffney, SC, for example.

Isn’t that what the Axis/Vegas twins are?
Old 04-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Axis/Vegas is on a stripped chassis without cab. Class C uses a cutaway with the cab intact.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You are basically correct. They are built on an E series van frame. So in essence, they are a class a body on a class c frame.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
You are basically correct. They are built on an E series van frame. So in essence, they are a class a body on a class c frame.
What says the E series is a Class C frame? Where is it written and established as standard?
Old 04-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #16

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What says the E series is a Class C frame? Where is it written and established as standard?
Ford sales brochure says there are no stripped class C chassis, only cutaway chassis. The only Ford stripped chassis listed are the E and F versions. The cutaway chassis (E and F versions) are manufactured by Ford in the Louisville heavy duty truck plant. The stripped chassis are assembled by Detroit Chassis in Detroit. The confusion is there are Ford letter E chassis in the stripped and cutaway chassis just like there is in the F series. No one seems to confuse a F-53 with a F-550 cutaway chassis but tend to confuse a E-450 striped chassis with a E-450 cutaway chassis. <https://www.fleet.ford.com › fleet › order › trucks>

Old 04-03-2022, 10:59 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Front and rear caps, interior & exterior material designs and the name on the side are the only differences. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport are all made in plant 750 and the only coaches made in Plant 750. Thor continues the legacy names because dealer's contract specify no other dealers can sell that brand with a specific area. Continuing the names allows four different dealers in the same area selling similar coaches and competing with each other. 100+ dealers selling 2,000+ plant 750 coaches a year.
I always wondered why? I eventually just fell in the love with the name Windsport over Hurricane and thought the rear graphics on Windsport set it apart. But it never was to be which take me to this...

I am only aware of 1 Thor Dealer with a few hours radius of Dallas. The [place that did sell Thot sold both Windsports & Hurricanes? That dealer had very good prices but it was often like market, if they had it and was good shape passing your PDI you could not gone wrong.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:07 AM   #18

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I always wondered why? I eventually just fell in the love with the name Windsport over Hurricane and thought the rear graphics on Windsport set it apart. But it never was to be which take me to this...

I am only aware of 1 Thor Dealer with a few hours radius of Dallas. The [place that did sell Thot sold both Windsports & Hurricanes? That dealer had very good prices but it was often like market, if they had it and was good shape passing your PDI you could not gone wrong.
Windsport and Hurricane are Four Winds names. Thor MC (division of Thor Industries) adopted the four Winds plant (when Four Winds was bought by Thor Industries)and it became Thor MC plant 750. The reason the names were kept is each Thor Industries RV dealer has a distinct marketing area so no other Thor Industries dealer may market a new coach in that area. Several Thor MC dealers have overlapping dealer areas specifically when Daymon was bought by Ihor Industries.; thus, two nearly identical motor coaches with different names marketed by different dealers close to each other. Those looking a Thor MC coaches in Knoxville and Nashville note the incomplete Thor MC lines marketed by Camping World because of this. For instance MHSRV has the Enterga dealership for north Texas, whereas NIRVC dies not. NIRVC does market the Entegra line at all of their other locations.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:17 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Windsport and Hurricane are Four Winds names. Thor MC (division of Thor Industries) adopted the four Winds plant (when Four Winds was bought by Thor Industries)and it became Thor MC plant 750. The reason the names were kept is each Thor Industries RV dealer has a distinct marketing area so no other Thor Industries dealer may market a new coach in that area. Several Thor MC dealers have overlapping dealer areas specifically when Daymon was bought by Ihor Industries.; thus, two nearly identical motor coaches with different names marketed by different dealers close to each other. Those looking a Thor MC coaches in Knoxville and Nashville note the incomplete Thor MC lines marketed by Camping World because of this. For instance MHSRV has the Enterga dealership for north Texas, whereas NIRVC dies not. NIRVC does market the Entegra line at all of their other locations.
Wow lots of light bulbs came on here.

* I always read about Plant 750, never knew it was an original Four Winds facility. Is the ACE made there too and is it original Four Winds?

* When we 1st decided to buy an RV we were wanted a C Class. I believe it was a Four Winds 28z So saw where they were sold at McClain RV and Camping World. One McClains is about 20 minute from our house; so we go there to see it. McClains Corinth told us they DID NOT SELL THORs!!! Being uninformed; I argued with them, because I had seen them on a McClains website. Turns out it was a McClains dealership in Oklahoma that sold the Thors NOT McClains in Texas In a strange case of irony, it is where I would first see the Winnebago which at the time we thought was way out of our price range. So we drive another hour or so to Sherman Texas to a Camping World. Worst experience ever. It was like they assumed we would not buy anything so they treated us like it. They were right because we didn't care much for what we saw. I called Thor who told us about a Quantum and MHSRV who to me is the only legit Thor Dealer I can find anywhere near Dallas?

* We would make several trips to MHSRV, the Quantum was just not us, we fell in love with the ACE 29.3 with the Residential Fridge. That is when I joined this site. We bought one, but it never passed PDI so we had to walk from the deal. Then Thor discontinued the ACE 29.3

* This took us to the Windsports & Hurricanes. The 29M models were too long so we decided to go with the 27B, we bought a Windsport and had a even longer list of dealer damaged items so it never passed PDI either Thor was great trying to find us other units on a National search but they were few units; and as fate would have it Thor discontinued the 27Bs !!! I gave up... 6 months later the Winnebago 29ve fell in our lap. By then I was very anal about PDIs, took me 5 hours to go through everything but it was a perfect coach with zero issues, so I became a SOB.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
For whatever the reason, Freedon Traveler has its own website. It’s not on Thor site. I think that new, it’s exclusive to camping world.