Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Trailhawk is a good choice. We tow a 2019 with a 2018 Ace. Our Trailhawk weighs in at 4500 lbs, well under the the 8000 lb hitch capacity. Our total GCVW of the loaded coach and toad comes in at 20300 and some change also under the coach’s 23000 lb GCWR. The hitch capacity and GCVWR are the determining factor of what you can tow. The V10 has the giddy up to tow just about anything so as has been stated get your loaded coach weighed and then go looking for your toad.

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #22
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
update on towing Wrangler TJ

Last weekend we returned from a 3 week trip to Southern Colorado and New Mexico....Jeep in tow !
What a pleasure it was to have our little red TJ following us to our desitnations.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOAD JEEP july 17.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	20596

Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ in rear camera of Axis..jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	20597
As documented in another post regarding towing....
Thanks to the fellow who installed our Blue Ox Base Plate, Tow Bar, electrical package and Patriot Brake...including Breakaway Switch...
he schooled us before we left his shop on how to setup the towbar and accessories, the brake and all the necessary to do's and not to do's involved.
Being seniors …
I recorded his complete walkthrough on my phone...which I recommend.

all in all...for newbies to towing a vehicle 4 down...we did well and are looking forward to our next trip.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Last weekend we returned from a 3 week trip to Southern Colorado and New Mexico....Jeep in tow !

What a pleasure it was to have our little red TJ following us to our desitnations.

Attachment 20596

Attachment 20597

As documented in another post regarding towing....

Thanks to the fellow who installed our Blue Ox Base Plate, Tow Bar, electrical package and Patriot Brake...including Breakaway Switch...

he schooled us before we left his shop on how to setup the towbar and accessories, the brake and all the necessary to do's and not to do's involved.

Being seniors …

I recorded his complete walkthrough on my phone...which I recommend.

all in all...for newbies to towing a vehicle 4 down...we did well and are looking forward to our next trip.

K

So I’ll be towing my new TJ (actually an LJ) for the first time soon. The owners manual says to put the key in the unlocked (first) position but my steering wheel doesn’t lock and I can’t see any other reason. Do you tow your TJ with the key in the ignition? Thank you.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #25
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So I’ll be towing my new TJ (actually an LJ) for the first time soon. The owners manual says to put the key in the unlocked (first) position but my steering wheel doesn’t lock and I can’t see any other reason. Do you tow your TJ with the key in the ignition? Thank you.
Our steering wheel does not lock either. However, we must use key in ignition and turn it one click away from starting the motor, as our tail lights,brake lights and turn signals.. and Patriot brake work off the TJ battery...and our motorhome trickle charges the battery while running.
So, the first thing we do when stopping for the day is turn off the Jeep ignition and pull the key. (we lock the Jeep doors while towing...have an extra key on every keyring we carry with us)

I hope this answers your question without too much overkill. If you have any thing else...Ron and I will be happy to help....or there are many forum members who are much more knowledgeable than we...who are willing to jump in !!

Enjoy your LJ as much as we do our little red TJ !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #26

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Congratulations on a safe trip! We too like to base-camp with our Aria then use our towed Rubicon for the jaunts into and out of the parks, and running errands, etc.

You must turn the ignition key to the first notch for proper towing or you will break the locking pawl under the steering wheel.

GVP
Old 10-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Our steering wheel does not lock either. However, we must use key in ignition and turn it one click away from starting the motor, as our tail lights,brake lights and turn signals.. and Patriot brake work off the TJ battery...and our motorhome trickle charges the battery while running.
So, the first thing we do when stopping for the day is turn off the Jeep ignition and pull the key. (we lock the Jeep doors while towing...have an extra key on every keyring we carry with us)

I hope this answers your question without too much overkill. If you have any thing else...Ron and I will be happy to help....or there are many forum members who are much more knowledgeable than we...who are willing to jump in !!

K

Everyone’s rig/setup can differ... but...

I would be very surprised if all the lights run off the TJ battery... They should be receiving power from the RV umbilical telling them when to turn on... and isolated from Jeep’s system.
(On my 2010, the third brake light only activates if Jeep battery is connected and Jeep brake pedal depressed... Everything else powers from RV. I tow battery disconnected as per owners manual for my year/model.)

The braking system does need Jeep battery connection to work in breakaway, but is typically wired in manner that doesn’t need ignition on... or key in at all.

Without a steering wheel lock, should be able to tow Jeep without key in... but if needed get a ‘non-chip’ key made so it can’t start the engine.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
You must turn the ignition key to the first notch for proper towing or you will break the locking pawl under the steering wheel.

GVP
No locky, No breaky.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Without a steering wheel lock, should be able to tow Jeep without key in... but if needed get a ‘non-chip’ key made so it can’t start the engine.
Yup! This is about the easiest thing that you can do...
Old 10-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #30

THOR #6826
Quote:

K

Appreciate the quick and detailed reply! My setup uses the Stay in Play brake system wired directly to the Jeep’s battery and my lights operate off the RV. My steering wheel does not lock but I think I’ll pull the column shroud off and look for a lock just in case. I am inclined to follow the owners manual but for the life of me I can’t see why. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	20602My 2004 is so old it’s key isn’t chipped so leaving it in a soft top Jeep seems like an invitation to a thief!
Old 10-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Get a extra key cut for this purpose, and paint in black; so as to make it less visible from outside the cab...
Nice-looking Jeep!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #32
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Appreciate the quick and detailed reply!
My 2004 is so old it’s key isn’t chipped so leaving it in a soft top Jeep seems like an invitation to a thief!

I understand your apprehension at leaving the key in the steering wheel...
our TJ is a 2000 and of course, no chip either. And you may have a valid question since your setup does not require the ignition being in the on position.

Regarding locking the steering wheel..we knew we could not..so it was not in issue with us....here is a quote...

You would not lock out the steering on the vehicle being flat towed. Doing so would cause the wheels to scrub (drag sideways) when turning.

I think Bob has a good idea..painting a key black and use that for the ignition when towing. We use one of the xtra keys we had made but did not think of painting it. Thank you Bob !

Your LJ is neat...enjoy !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For something even less visible than Black paint: try dipping the head of the key in black rubber coating...
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #34
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Everyone’s rig/setup can differ... but...

I would be very surprised if all the lights run off the TJ battery... They should be receiving power from the RV umbilical telling them when to turn on... and isolated from Jeep’s system.
(On my 2010, the third brake light only activates if Jeep battery is connected and Jeep brake pedal depressed... Everything else powers from RV. I tow battery disconnected as per owners manual for my year/model.)

The braking system does need Jeep battery connection to work in breakaway, but is typically wired in manner that doesn’t need ignition on... or key in at all.

THANKS GREG … for your clarification..regarding the brake lights etc...and the power source ..

It is our understanding...and we are so new to this towing thing...that..
since our Patriot Brake is powered by the cig lighter elec. source...is why we must have ignition in the on position. The breakaway, and we know how that works..is attached to the Patriot.

We are pleased at how everything worked for us on our first long haul. Whatever our install guy did to make it work...makes us happy.

I defer to you and others with much more experience !

k
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 10-02-2019, 03:02 AM   #35

THOR #6826
Quote:
THANKS GREG … for your clarification..regarding the brake lights etc...and the power source ..

It is our understanding...and we are so new to this towing thing...that..
since our Patriot Brake is powered by the cig lighter elec. source...is why we must have ignition in the on position. The breakaway, and we know how that works..is attached to the Patriot.

We are pleased at how everything worked for us on our first long haul. Whatever our install guy did to make it work...makes us happy.

I defer to you and others with much more experience !

k

On my 2004 the dash power outlet is only hot when the ignition is on so that would be why you need the key on. It would be easy to rewire it to be always on or even easier to add a second outlet maybe under the dash that’s always on and dedicated to your brake system. Glad it’s working for you. We traveled for several years without a toad but will be snowbirding this winter and need some local wheels.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #36
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
On my 2004 the dash power outlet is only hot when the ignition is on so that would be why you need the key on. It would be easy to rewire it to be always on or even easier to add a second outlet maybe under the dash that’s always on and dedicated to your brake system. Glad it’s working for you. We traveled for several years without a toad but will be snowbirding this winter and need some local wheels.
Thanks for the feedback. Since we knew NOTHING about the setup of the Jeep for towing...we went with how this RV Center fella did it...and are happy. It works for us without any issues. However, will keep your notes regarding the alternative just in case !

Enjoy your snowbirding ! Where are you going? We have considered it since we retired a little over 1 1/2 yrs ago... but Ron enjoys returning home after being out 3-4 weeks. We will see how that goes as we are leaving the first of December to go to FL where we have family...and return in January. Not looking forward to the 'what ifs' regarding weather...but we know we can stop just about anywhere if weather turns sour on our return trip.
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Tags
4wd dinghys, mpg decrease towing