Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
Disappointed with Axxera AV614BH

I have not been very impressed with the Axxera AV614BH unit.

* I haven't been able to get the DualMirror function to work.
* The HDMI plug and USB charging plug in the dash don't seem to be working as there is no current to the USB outlet.
* For a "multimedia" unit, one would expect it to be Sirius-XM ready.
* The manual mentions "SD card" throughout but it is actually a "Micro" SD card.
* The manual says the "SD slot" is at the "top of the unit," but it is on the side.
* Apple's mp4 music files are not compatible with the unit. MP3 only. All 8,000+ of my music files are mp4.
* I don't know if it is the quality of the rear camera, or if it is the Axerra display, but it is not very clear. Practically useless except to tell that my toad is still back there.
* For warranty work, the website tells me the unit has to be removed from the dash and shipped to Axerra for repair. That's insane.

This will be one of the first things I replace in my Challenger.

2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I estimate the lifespan of mine as less than two more trips. I have started looking at Alpine and Kenwood for a potential replacement.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Unfortunately, the Dual Mirror function only works with a limited number of cell phones. My Nexus 5 is not one them to my disappointment.

You should be able to connect a Sirius/XM tuner either through the front AV input or the rear AUX input

You should check that your HDMI and USB cables are plugged in completely at the rear of the AV614BH. I routinely use the USB port to charge headphones.

While you're in there check to make sure that the RCA cable from the rear view camera control box is properly plugged in. Another area to check is the control box located behind the instrument panel.

If your RV is still under warranty, your dealer should be handling your issues with the exception of the mp4 files.

The AV614BH is much better than what the manufacturers have been installing in the past.

That said, it does have it limitations. Despite its shortcomings. it has yet to irritate me to the point of laying out about $400 to replace it.

Bruce in NOLA
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Unfortunately, the Dual Mirror function only works with a limited number of cell phones. My Nexus 5 is not one them to my disappointment.

You should check that your HDMI and USB cables are plugged in completely at the rear of the AV614BH. I routinely use the USB port to charge headphones.

The AV614BH is much better than what the manufacturers have been installing in the past.

That said, it does have it limitations. Despite its shortcomings. it has yet to irritate me to the point of laying out about $400 to replace it.

Bruce in NOLA
Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Our has been replaced under warranty. I will have to see if it works or not.

KC
Old 01-27-2016, 03:39 AM   #6

THOR #2871
I found out why the HDMI and the USB charging plugs in the dash weren't working. I removed the dash cover. Real simple, only 4 screws. I followed the HDMI and USB cables from the dash and discovered they were never connected to the radio. I plugged them in and they now work. I guess somebody was having a bad day at the factory.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: Illinois
THOR #3469
We are stuck with this lemon too. I cannot believe there is not a weather band on this radio unless I am overlooking something. Would love to have my Jensen back from our previous RV. Don't need all the bells and whistles.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
My main complaint is that the camera video is too dim on the brightest setting.

Radio reception is poor in rural areas which seems to plague RV radios in general. Someone should invent a better antenna.

Bluetooth works well for music playback.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Painfully obvious comments in BLUE for any Axxera AV614BHowner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
I have not been very impressed with the Axxera AV614BH unit.

* I haven't been able to get the DualMirror function to work.

The actual mirrors still work? The screen has too much glare to be practical anyway.

* The HDMI plug and USB charging plug in the dash don't seem to be working as there is no current to the USB outlet.

Might be a fuse, or it just wasn't connected.

* For a "multimedia" unit, one would expect it to be Sirius-XM ready.

It's the 2003 version of "multimedia". No Sirius-XM.

* The manual mentions "SD card" throughout but it is actually a "Micro" SD card.

At least it's not a proprietary Sony SD card!

* The manual says the "SD slot" is at the "top of the unit," but it is on the side.

It's all about perspective, and relative to where you are in time and space.

* Apple's mp4 music files are not compatible with the unit. MP3 only. All 8,000+ of my music files are mp4.

MP4 is standard used for video file compression. A conversion program can easily convert those 8,000 files into respectable audio MP3.

* I don't know if it is the quality of the rear camera, or if it is the Axerra display, but it is not very clear. Practically useless except to tell that my toad is still back there.

The lens might be smudged. But even then, it's cheap low-res camera and looks blurry and smudged when it's not.

* For warranty work, the website tells me the unit has to be removed from the dash and shipped to Axerra for repair. That's insane.

That's far better than shipping the entire motorhome to China.

This will be one of the first things I replace in my Challenger.

Good decision! Have you considered the Jensen JRV215N? The few folks that received them as warranty replacements seem to like them. It would have been the natural successor to the JRV212 that Thor used to supply up until early 2015 production, when they switched to Axxera units.

The Jensen units actually had far less troubles compared to the new Axxera, (if your Jensen screen didn't go blank it's still working fine and will probably outlast the coach). However, Thor was likely able to bulk purchase at wholesale the Axxera AV614BHunits for MUCH less than the JRV215N.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
What have others used besides the JRV215N?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3609
Just ran first trip in my Axis, couldn't believe how poor the reception was. Will be installing Xm.
1000 mile round trip to Big Bend State Park...very Kool!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

THOR #2871
Yes, just can't imagine not having satellite radio. Axerra (or Thor) missed the boat on that one. Radio is practically useless. Rearview camera of such poor quality that it doesn't show well on Axerra's monitor. I use Tom Tom GPS on my iPhone and view it on the Axerra monitor with the only feature I use on the radio -- Dual Mirroring. The Seiki TVs don't have QAM tuners so are also on the "to be replaced" list.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I have the Axxera AV615BH in my 2017 ACE 30.1. I bought the Dual wireless dongle and have decided its going back. I have an iPhone 7 and found that I could get DualMonitor to work, but it only would display the first view it got when connecting. It would not change as I changed the iPhone display.

I did a little research and found that I have to update the firmware to get the Dual to work with IOS 10. I downloaded the zip file from Dual and found that it would not unpack using standard MacOS or Windows utilities. I found a MacOS utility that finally succeeded and got a set of files for 3rd rate software and no instructions. The update process basically requires way too much knowledge of the guts of Windows to figure out how to use it. Its basically Chinese crapware zipped into a file that most utilities think is corrupt.

I found a video that kind of showed how to update the firmware, but it involved a lot of guessing on what USB drivers to delete to force a reinstall so the computer could connect to the DUAL. I use a Mac and have Windows 7 and 10 virtual machines, but neither sees the Dual USB connection. I have an old Windows laptop that I might try, but I'm thinking its not worth the effort. There was a reason why I went to Mac.

I might get the cable and the Apple HDMI dongle (need one anyway for business use) and try that way, but the DUAL is going back.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
No iPod compatibility at all, either for iPod or iPhone plugged in through USB, and when I connect through the front AV inputs, I don't get the balance and EQ controls that I get while streaming Bluetooth.

It is 2017.. People expect more when they get more in an economy car these days.