Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'm guessing you may have also visited the Camping World in Katy which is much closer to Sugar Land. If so, what sold you on going with the San Antonio CW?

I've been to both but never had serious discussions with either, so don't really know what differences there may be throughout the purchase process.
Hi Chance,
It turns out that CW Katy only sells Vegas and we wanted the Axis Model.
We used a sealed bidding process and communication to select our supply dealer from 7 dealers contacted and we considered delivery, warranty work and service work. The other Houston Axis Dealer DeMontrond was significantly more expensive in the bidding responses.
Previous post was
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f6/where-purchase-3926.html#post38731
(We “managed” the purchasing process by telephone with Thor, then to the various dealers by telephone and e-mail, then bidding and by e-mail. At no time did we allow ourselves to be in a “I’ll go talk to the manager” situation.)
We actually were willing to consider a Vegas from CW Katy if they were very competitive, however, didn’t work out that way.

We do spend a lot of time at the CW Katy location at their store purchasing stuff and having coffee with our sales contact there. We chose not to purchase anything from the San Antonio store when we picked up the Axis in case we had to return any items.
Our contact at the CW Katy store is James Godfrey james.godfrey@campingworld.com he was very helpful and still is even though we did not buy there I suggest you chat to him. Just for information while service work and warranty work may have a wait. The new installation counter for stuff like sway bars etc. is quite quick at CW Katy.
Send me a private note if you wish more information.
Hope this helps, Best Regards, James

Old 08-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #102
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
A number of years ago, we bought our '08 Dorado from CW, Katy.
Having worked with the sales staff via email and telephone chats, we
decided on this B+. We flew in to Houston...they picked us up at the airport..we did have a delay (busy place !) in completing the transaction, did the pdi .. problem with the steps, fixed...we were out of there in time to beat the late afternoon
gridlock on the interstate.
Looking back...I cannot believe we began this transaction sight unseen !!
The Dorado was in, like new, condition and served us well.

We have dealt with CW of Grain Valley, MO (K.C.) for a number of years...prior to becoming CW ...
We feel it is so important to create a relationship with the staff...whether it is rv sales, office or accessory. Let them know you appreciate what they do..be friendly and ask questions...leave no gray areas .
It is amazing what you get in return when you treat people well .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #103

State: Ontario
THOR #5027
2015 Axis 24.1 paint problem on rear panel

Does anyone had some paint issues with the rear panel of an Axis 24.1 2015? You can see tiny cracks (like stretch marks) in the paint that expend when cold. The garage is asking $2,500 to redo the back panel with no warranty that it won't come back. Are we the only one with this problem? Of course Thor won't help - we passed the 12 month warranty just like our dangerous suspension problem and the roof leaking problem damaging the walls...No help at all from Thor and Ford. Can someone tell us about the painting problem? Thanks
Old 08-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #104

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylab View Post
Does anyone had some paint issues with the rear panel of an Axis 24.1 2015? You can see tiny cracks (like stretch marks) in the paint that expend when cold. The garage is asking $2,500 to redo the back panel with no warranty that it won't come back. Are we the only one with this problem? Of course Thor won't help - we passed the 12 month warranty just like our dangerous suspension problem and the roof leaking problem damaging the walls...No help at all from Thor and Ford. Can someone tell us about the painting problem? Thanks
I don't think the Axis is painted. The fiberglass body is a colored fiberglass that Thor advertises as a product that wont show chips or cracks because the fiberglass is colored its self. If you are seeing cracks it would be my guess that the fiberglass is cracking.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #105

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The literature for the 2017 Axis/Vegas shows the wall exterior color being a gel-coat that is put in the mold before the fiberglass for the panels.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #106

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3802
Has anyone replaced the Seiki tv's? They never work with the cable in the rv parks so I want to get a tv that actually can read the signals but I am wondering if you had any difficulty removing and installing the sets
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #107

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
loki, my outside Seiki died and was replaced by a ProScan, not sure if upgrade or not but it was covered on my extended warranty! Check this site for the "QAM receiver threads" that explain the TV vs Cable stuff.

To remove the outside TV - if yours is like mine - it is flush mounted by are two brackets that run from top to bottom of the cabinet each bracket has two screws barely visible above and below the TV. Undo the screws and the TV comes out.

To remove the inside TV over the door is a little more tricky. There is either a lever or a "strap" that has to be pulled that then allows the bottom of the TV to swing out and then push up and away from the wall (very awkward to do by oneself).

The bedroom TV is best done using a magnetized screwdriver, put a towel down on the bed against the wall as the screws like to fall out and disappear and then tape a piece of cardboard on the bathroom wall behind the far side of the TV (near the outside wall as you have to put a little pressure on the TV to get it out of the mount and you will scrape the Wallpaper/cover) To get to the screws you must use a flashlight and shine it between the TV and bathroom wall from the little hallway space to see them, then undo the two screws. Once you have the screws out, you will need to swing the side of the TV that you just removed the screws from out from the wall an inch or so while pushing the TV towards the outside wall to get it off the mount. Once you do it the first time you will see why the cardboard is needed (leave it in place until you remount the TV, keep from scratching things up).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #108
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Seiki TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokisgirls2016 View Post
Has anyone replaced the Seiki tv's? They never work with the cable in the rv parks so I want to get a tv that actually can read the signals but I am wondering if you had any difficulty removing and installing the sets
I repaleced the Seiki in the bedroom and just replaced the Seiki outside. It was a fairly easy process. Next is the Seiki in the main living area as soon as I figure how to take it off. BTW last week I saw HH Gregg selling 32" Seiki tv's for 119.00. My only advice is when you buy a replacement tv make sure the mounting holes on the back are the same. They can be 4" or 8" apart. I made that mistake and had to buy a adapter plate to mount the outside tv.
Kev
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #109
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
BTW my outside tv is plugged in behind the drawer under the stove.
Kev
Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #110
vkb

THOR #3510
King Jack Antenna missing parts

We were at a beautiful lake north of St. Joseph, MO this weekend...
attempted to dial in the King Jack antenna to view late night news..
not doing well .. and previously we had great results.
So we did an investigation...we, seriously, thought all of these units came complete..apparently not. This what we found when taking off the cover where the interior dial sits.
Click image for larger version

Name:	King Jack antenna. jpg.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2995

Click image for larger version

Name:	king jack antenna b.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	2996

the lack of the signal strength meter should not interfere with the performance of the antenna...but, am going to check with Thor Warranty.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #111

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We were at a beautiful lake north of St. Joseph, MO this weekend...
attempted to dial in the King Jack antenna to view late night news..
not doing well .. and previously we had great results.
So we did an investigation...we, seriously, thought all of these units came complete..apparently not. This what we found when taking off the cover where the interior dial sits.
Attachment 2995

Attachment 2996

the lack of the signal strength meter should not interfere with the performance of the antenna...but, am going to check with Thor Warranty.
I don't have a signal strength meter either. I just turn the knob until the picture gets better.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #112
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I don't have a signal strength meter either. I just turn the knob until the picture gets better.
Yes ! that is what we do...with good results...
however, this weekend we were in poor conditions which seemed strange for the location...and began looking around...and found this empty box !
In the grand scheme of things, apparently it doesn't make any difference !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #113

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Antenna

I have a DTV antenna app on my phone. I point the the antenna in the direction it points to on the phone, re-scan and watch.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #114

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw887 View Post
I have a DTV antenna app on my phone. I point the the antenna in the direction it points to on the phone, re-scan and watch.
Which app are you using? {And, of course, what phone?}
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #115

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
DTV Antenna App

I am using Digital TV Antenna by Nicolas Lichtmaier on a Android phone. Im not sure if its the best but it shows me which way to point. Some locations will not pick up the signal due to elevation and other factors.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #116
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw887 View Post
good to know, thank you ! will see if there is an iphone app
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #117

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would like to go back to the original post.

I purchased my Windsport from MHS, the next week I noticed the rear air was not getting cold. I called MHS and got appointment for the next Saturday. I arrived a little early but the tech came right out to diagnose the problem. After checking several things and replacing the control board still no luck. The tech went and got another tech who came right out. Between the two of the they discovered the freeze sensor was bad, they replaced it and bingo, cold air.

I think the way I was treated, the quick service, and a working AC was great! I'm sure they could have made some excuses, but they didn't, they kept working till the problem was resolved. I couldn't ask for more!

Sorry you had a bad experience, it happens sometimes.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #118
vkb

THOR #3510
TV Signal finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Which app are you using? {And, of course, what phone?}
I downloaded, on my iphone, TV Towers USA . It will come in handy, for sure !
Of course it is only as good as your phone signal...ha ! Presume if there is no phone signal, there will be no tv either ! Which, neither is an issue !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #119
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Presume if there is no phone signal, there will be no tv either
Not really a valid assumption: TV signals go for miles and miles.

Cellular, by its nature, is only designed to go as far as the current cell. Hence there are a ton of cellular towers everywhere but only 1 antenna for the TV station (and have you seen those? they are huge!!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #120
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not really a valid assumption: TV signals go for miles and miles.

Cellular, by its nature, is only designed to go as far as the current cell. Hence there are a ton of cellular towers everywhere but only 1 antenna for the TV station (and have you seen those? they are huge!!).
noted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Tags
axis 24.1