Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, Im seen a lot more B's on the road and being advertized now.

So does mean he overall Motorized RV sales were up about 22.3% (All in the B segment)?

I sure hope they come up with a bunch of small campsites with WIFI for these new RV's to help this influx. I bet someone could make some money if they put a starbucks in the middle of them.

Do you have the age demographic for the new B owners? I would think 28 - 38 years olds but thats just a guess.

Lots of super young folks with "convertered Vans" (But not a true RV - IMO = no holding tanks, most without running water etc) with youtube chanels right now. The talk about living green and on the cheap/free. Most have solar on the roof (Thats how Im finding them with my solar quest). Some have some nice setups and others reminds me of bums with old creepy vans.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #102

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, Im seen a lot more B's on the road and being advertized now.

So does mean he overall Motorized RV sales were up about 22.3% (All in the B segment)?

I sure hope they come up with a bunch of small campsites with WIFI for these new RV's to help this influx. I bet someone could make some money if they put a starbucks in the middle of them.

Do you have the age demographic for the new B owners? I would think 28 - 38 years olds but thats just a guess.

Lots of super young folks with "convertered Vans" (But not a true RV - IMO = no holding tanks, most without running water etc) with youtube chanels right now. The talk about living green and on the cheap/free. Most have solar on the roof (Thats how Im finding them with my solar quest). Some have some nice setups and others reminds me of bums with old creepy vans.

Along with these demographics...deodorant sales are down 77%, shampoo sales are only down 25% (they don't bathe but wash their hair to make you think they do) and corn cob sales are up 300%!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #103

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Along with these demographics...deodorant sales are down 77%, shampoo sales are only down 25% (they don't bathe but wash their hair to make you think they do) and corn cob sales are up 300%!!
Yep, I bet your right..... Wait.... is this BOB? LOL sounds like a Bob coment. He will post a pics of some corn cobs now. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #104

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The data above does not include do-it-yourself van conversions. It includes Class B motorhomes manufactured by Winnebago, Roadtrek, Coachmen, Thor, etc. These have everything other motorhomes have — holding tanks, running water, A/C, heat, kitchen, etc.

These Class B manufactured by RV companies cost more than a lot Class Cs, so I’m guessing owners can afford soap and shampoo.

P.S. — I would guess that the DIY crowd normally camps closer to nature, not in expensive campground resorts. I can’t say that I blame them considering some campgrounds resemble parking lots for RVs.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #105

THOR #11130
Post #101

"Lots of super young folks with "convertered Vans" (But not a true RV - IMO = no holding tanks, most without running water etc) with youtube chanels right now. The talk about living green and on the cheap/free. Most have solar on the roof (Thats how Im finding them with my solar quest). Some have some nice setups and others reminds me of bums with old creepy vans."

The conversations/jokes were about the free-for-all "van dwellers", not class B's. Some of the smaller B's are off the chart!!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #106

THOR #12231
Well yeah, I never expected them to be included in the B segment. But I think since many of these conversions folks might want to upgrade to a true "B" class RV.

With the "tiny homes" movement I think you will see "tiny RV's" as well...... To me a small RV makes more since than a Tiny home in the long run ..... but to each his own.

Yeah, many of the conversion vans would be in alleyways and BLM's.... so not many camp grounds.

I still like my Starbucks sponsored RV park for this new generation. LOL.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #107

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Man now I wish I had bought that CG near Branson. I'd be on the phone to Starbucks already. And we could offer a plain cup option for people our age who pretend they won't ever go to a SB.

Honestly, that may be the future. I bet a CG anchored by a SB or maybe a Cracker Barrel would be successful. Have that at the entrance and seclude the CG beyond. Of course you'll need plenty of B-class sites near the coffee shop. And a large enough drive thru so they can grab their double mocha non fat vegan lattè on the way out.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #108

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Man now I wish I had bought that CG near Branson. I'd be on the phone to Starbucks already. And we could offer a plain cup option for people our age who pretend they won't ever go to a SB.

Honestly, that may be the future. I bet a CG anchored by a SB or maybe a Cracker Barrel would be successful. Have that at the entrance and seclude the CG beyond. Of course you'll need plenty of B-class sites near the coffee shop. And a large enough drive thru so they can grab their double mocha non fat vegan lattè on the way out.

They would still go inside and take up all the tables, staring at their computers with nothing on the screen, as they wear their sweaters tied around their necks in the middle of July...sipping such small bits of coffee so it lasts as long as they can stretch it out. For them, it's all about being seen. For us...it's hilarious!! Best comedy show on earth.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #109

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
They would still go inside and take up all the tables, staring at their computers with nothing on the screen, as they wear their sweaters tied around their necks in the middle of July...sipping such small bits of coffee so it lasts as long as they can stretch it out. For them, it's all about being seen. For us...it's hilarious!! Best comedy show on earth.
So headed down a blvd here last week. 35 degrees and heavy drizzle. In traffic ahead I see a guy get out of his vehicle to check something on his trailer. Puzzled me as I saw no truck up there, but I did see the trailer.

As I get nearer I see what it is...a Prius towing a trailer with a bunch of lumber on it. Of course, the lumber wasn't secured. The guy is wearing a Carhart jacket, skater shorts, and flip-flops. He's also sporting a big, full beard and an impressive man-bun. Why very first thought...what an a$$hole. Then I thought...I bet he's taking that (salvaged) lumber home to work on his van mod so by June they are living in the national park. I'd bet the floor of that Prius is littered with SB cups.

I wanted to tell him "Beards are for operators and bad-asses. You ain't neither."
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #110

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
So headed down a blvd here last week. 35 degrees and heavy drizzle. In traffic ahead I see a guy get out of his vehicle to check something on his trailer. Puzzled me as I saw no truck up there, but I did see the trailer.

As I get nearer I see what it is...a Prius towing a trailer with a bunch of lumber on it. Of course, the lumber wasn't secured. The guy is wearing a Carhart jacket, skater shorts, and flip-flops. He's also sporting a big, full beard and an impressive man-bun. Why very first thought...what an a$$hole. Then I thought...I bet he's taking that (salvaged) lumber home to work on his van mod so by June they are living in the national park. I'd bet the floor of that Prius is littered with SB cups.

I wanted to tell him "Beards are for operators and bad-asses. You ain't neither."

There's another thread here on "water tanks" that has sorta lent itself to survival tactics. In that scenario, the guy above you describe will be among the first to go. Sadly, he won't have any money in his pockets, no gold in his teeth and his shoes will be worthless to you. The amount of gas in his car wouldn't even start a decent fire. The new "scalping" will be how many "man-buns" you can wack off and use for fire starters at base camp. There is some value in him.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #111
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
you guys are hilarious !! As many of you know, we have considered downsizing from our Axis 24.1 to a B+ … we keep going back to our Axis !! We are seniors...trading in the Axis for a B+...at this stage in our lives just does not compute...everyone wants to steal our Axis and wants 20k or more on a trade ! It is business...we understand...we have been retired for a year now, and have become more frugal … I laugh as I say that...as travel takes priority over many other things. !! Getting in the Axis .. our happy place … keeps us going ! WE ARE SOOOOOO READY to uncover our Axis and get out of KS !!!

PS … I think an RV park anchored by a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Cracker Barrell makes good sense ! This is the wave of the future !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #112
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
PS … I think an RV park anchored by a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Cracker Barrell makes good sense ! This is the wave of the future !
I vote for a "Golden Corral" anchor.
... Or even "Texas Roadhouse"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #113

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I think the rising cost of the Class A Coaches has more to do with any decline in sales

Several years of data will paint the true picture but with inflation taking off I won't be surprised to see the higher end sales slow down a bit

Many Boomers retiring don't have the funds to spare based on actual reports so again a factor
Old 02-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #114

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the downsizing, if you will, has been happening for quite some time, and the sales numbers prove that the newer RVing generation may be certainly looking at less of a 'full size big rig' as was popular 10 years ago, to a more 'modernly acceptable' 'tiny house' of RVing products...
They're easier to travel in, find places to park, go 'off-road', and generally don't look as much like a 'big rig' as many of us have in our own garages...

I've even considered 'downsizing' myself.

The newer generation also seems to embrace the 'low carbon footprint', or similar 'lingo' that they are programmed to assume must be the best thing for them...just watch any of the tiny house shows and you'll see. Of course the question of 'footprint' is one to be argued, but it's certainly a popular concept, whether proven or not.

People buy what they want. The factories produce what people want. Ask Newmar if they only started producing a 34' Class A Diesel 'luxury' coach just because they thought it was a good idea, or was it because the market statistics started to show that this is the direction that many, even older, buyers want to move to.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #115
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps folks are finally looking to fulfill their needs; rather than feed their egos...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #116
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I vote for a "Golden Corral" anchor.
... Or even "Texas Roadhouse"
Oh ya!! Bob....I would go for a Texas Roadhouse at every stop !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:14 AM   #117

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
.....cut.....

People buy what they want. The factories produce what people want. Ask Newmar if they only started producing a 34' Class A Diesel 'luxury' coach just because they thought it was a good idea, or was it because the market statistics started to show that this is the direction that many, even older, buyers want to move to.
I agree that downsizing is affecting pretty much every company. Larger is always roomier, but not necessarily better in other ways. Each person has to look at their own needs, and evaluate pros and cons for themselves.

Foretravel, for example, is introducing the Iron Colt 37-foot luxury diesel where before the lowest price unit was the $1.5 million 45-foot Iron Horse. It’s still huge, but much smaller by comparison.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/fore...in-market.html