Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

I have been wondering the same thing, all I can think of is with the F53 don't you have bigger wheels? If so, would that not give greater ground clearance for BoonDocking?

Doc
Doc, the smaller range of F53 chassis do have bigger 19.5-inch wheels and tires, but I'm not sure that in itself makes a big difference. From pictures we can see that the front axle of the F53 can be as low or lower than that of E-Series. The rear axle of the F53 can have a larger pumpkin also, so it may sit just about as low.

If I was taking an Axis off road one of my biggest concerns would be the entry door (I wish Thor didn't make it so low) and also clearance below front bumper.

I've done some off roading and usually it was with pickups or Jeeps that had 16-inch or smaller tires, so I don't see that in itself as a big problem.

Additionally, E-Series chassis are fairly easy to convert to 4X4 if one wanted to get way out. Having said that, I'd start with a motorhome smaller than an Axis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	2819  

Old 08-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
One such company is Quigley Conversions. A 4x4 Axis/Vegas would be a sight to see. I would bet that it would be way too top-heavy though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #23

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
One such company is Quigley Conversions. A 4x4 Axis/Vegas would be a sight to see. I would bet that it would be way too top-heavy though.
Not necessarily because they don't have to increase height all that much if you don't want. I'd guess you could limit lift to a couple of inches.

The front end of E-Series with Twin I-Beam has a lot of ground clearance, so you'd really have to want to go off road to convert to 4X4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2820  
Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #24

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

Yep, hit a speed "bump" too fast, scratched the bottom of the door entry on the rebound from the "bump" - it was more like an elongated flat-topped pyramid than a bump!!!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
The front end of E-Series with Twin I-Beam has a lot of ground clearance, so you'd really have to want to go off road to convert to 4X4.
More reasons than off-roading to want to convert to 4x4: Winter camping.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
More reasons than off-roading to want to convert to 4x4: Winter camping.
I've spent my entire life (except work-related travel) in the south, but can see the appeal to taking a motorhome to Colorado or similar place in winter. However, I have no idea where you'd stay during "winter camping".

Last year returning from Canada in Fall we found many campgrounds were already closed. The obvious question is where would you overnight?

Sorry for thread drift -- should probably research winter camping because it's something we haven't considered in much detail, except for wanting next RV to handle freezing weather.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #27

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

Might be a good thread to start "Winter Camping, what to expect, how and where to go?"

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

Might be a good thread to start "Winter Camping, what to expect, how and where to go?"

Doc
Agree -- although I need to get a new motorhome first.

The closest we've come was 28F without power for electric heat so we got pretty cold. We didn't enjoy that. Instead of staying in National Park the next night we moved to a KOA with full hookups. Much happier that way.

It's actually a good idea to discuss winter equipment needs, since it may influence what some of us end up buying.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #29
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have been to Crested Butte, CO in late September. Got chilly at night..we came prepared and were comfortable.
Use caution when camping with pets in extreme conditions...the floors of your rv get as cold as the outdoors !
nuff said .....
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Winter camping, reserve a site now:
Our 3rd Annual Tahquamenon Falls Winter Campout - Jan 20-22, 2017 - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

(He actually has a pretty good description there of what they do and how they accomplish it.)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Tent-beds, etc.

My 'needs', when we were RV shopping, were very few, but I do like the idea of a slide at the 'dining and kitchen' areas, which makes it easier for 2 people to pass each other walking through, as well as a slide for the bedroom, either sideways or back-ways. My must-have's were, 1. a bed that didn't need to be assembled and 2. real doors separating the bedroom from the living space; NO partitions or curtains. Tent beds (getting back to the beginning of this thread) are ok for pop-ups, etc. but I really don't like the idea of crawling over a sofa to get into my bed. Getting older, dontcha know..
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Since my wife and I travel alone most of the time, I'd be perfectly happy with a narrow 2-person dinette that left the living room wide open all the time, not just at night. For us there is absolutely no advantage to a living room slide 90% of time. The other 10% (or much less) I can work around it.

If we had 2 others with us (a rare occasion) the front cab seats would double as a second dinette to seat a total of four. Or we'd eat outside.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #33
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Since my wife and I travel alone most of the time, I'd be perfectly happy with a narrow 2-person dinette that left the living room wide open all the time, not just at night. For us there is absolutely no advantage to a living room slide 90% of time. The other 10% (or much less) I can work around it.

If we had 2 others with us (a rare occasion) the front cab seats would double as a second dinette to seat a total of four. Or we'd eat outside.
Ya know, Chance ... the other day we were driving somewhere and I saw a Casita trailer (a friend has one) .. these compact little things are all of about
16' feet long..have 2 twin beds, tiny cooking area...a drop down table between beds, which double as couch, and shower/toilet.
We were following a truck with a camper topper ... my mind began wandering and I told Ron...if we really wanted to downside, we could get a topper for the bed of the truck (we have a tonneau) , we could setup the back of the truck for KC and he could pass through to the back seat of the truck whenever he wanted...and when parked we could be all together.
Ideally, the casita should have a manual/crank out awning . We could haul our portable generator in the truck for dry camping, lawn chairs, etc.

We love our Axis...but, sometimes, it seems like things could be simpler.

k
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ya know, Chance ... the other day we were driving somewhere and I saw a Casita trailer (a friend has one) .. these compact little things are all of about
16' feet long..have 2 twin beds, tiny cooking area...a drop down table between beds, which double as couch, and shower/toilet.
We were following a truck with a camper topper ... my mind began wandering and I told Ron...if we really wanted to downside, we could get a topper for the bed of the truck (we have a tonneau) , we could setup the back of the truck for KC and he could pass through to the back seat of the truck whenever he wanted...and when parked we could be all together.
Ideally, the casita should have a manual/crank out awning . We could haul our portable generator in the truck for dry camping, lawn chairs, etc.

We love our Axis...but, sometimes, it seems like things could be simpler.

k
Kay, I'm very familiar with Casitas which are built in Texas off I-45 just south of Dallas. We've stopped there a couple of times to check them out and know exactly what you mean.

The most popular model is only 17 feet long and has two dinettes. The rear 4-person dinette many owners leave made up as a permanent bed, and then use the compact 2-person dinette for seating and eating. For their size, they are very practical for a couple.

We thought about getting one to tow with our minivan (which could haul our bikes and extra gear) and then replace our van with a car, but after thinking more about it, we don't really like trailers as the sole travel/camping vehicle. We've rented to try it and it's not for us.

The other thing is that a large ProMaster van is larger than a Casita, and we would enjoy that much more.

I do like the idea of a simple Class B van I can park at home (HOA is a pain but it's worth the argument if I can keep it parked at the house) and then rent or own a small Casita-size trailer for longer trips or when traveling with family. One thing we love about a van parked at home versus previous Class C parked offsite is that we use it a lot more for spontaneous trips. We don't have to plan much of anything.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #35
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Kay, I'm very familiar with Casitas which are built in Texas off I-45 just south of Dallas. We've stopped there a couple of times to check them out and know exactly what you mean.

The most popular model is only 17 feet long and has two dinettes. The rear 4-person dinette many owners leave made up as a permanent bed, and then use the compact 2-person dinette for seating and eating. For their size, they are very practical for a couple.

We thought about getting one to tow with our minivan (which could haul our bikes and extra gear) and then replace our van with a car, but after thinking more about it, we don't really like trailers as the sole travel/camping vehicle. We've rented to try it and it's not for us.

The other thing is that a large ProMaster van is larger than a Casita, and we would enjoy that much more.

I do like the idea of a simple Class B van I can park at home (HOA is a pain but it's worth the argument if I can keep it parked at the house) and then rent or own a small Casita-size trailer for longer trips or when traveling with family. One thing we love about a van parked at home versus previous Class C parked offsite is that we use it a lot more for spontaneous trips. We don't have to plan much of anything.
Chance...yes...know what you mean...
when we changed from tent camping, many years ago, .. we converted our fullsize van into a camper...it already had a motorized rear seat which was our bed...rather clostrophobic area, but it worked for a couple years..Ron built a rack for a toaster oven and tiny refrig..with an extra battery and inverter..and we got a porta potty ... From there we went to our first motorhome ...

A person does what works best for them at the time...it has been a FUN experience all our lives !

Enjoy !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #36

THOR #2121
Quote:
I thought I'd start something fun here. If you've come up with a "new" Axis/Vegas floorplan post it. We can discuss what we like about it or not.

We'll have to put some limits on it since it would have to sit on an E350 or E450 chassis which means no 45 foot monsters

I think the limits would be something like 28ft or less, ....cut.....
Although I love advances in technology, in the case of floorplans, it appears I'm stuck in the past. See just above and below Axis.

My idea of perfect is 20 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	3010  
Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #37
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Although I love advances in technology,

My idea of perfect is 20 years old.
Chance ... in the new issue of MotorHome Mag
there is an ad for Phoenix Cruiser .. not that we are interested in changing units...just curious, we went to their site to see the stats on this crazy long B+ on a E450.
So, then...it took us to inventory, as they sell what they produce.
They are getting in on trade a 2015 Phoenix 2551 ...with NO slide.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting, this floorplan of a 2551 shows a slide:
Phoenix Cruiser Model 2551

They may have added one for 2016/2017.

Looks like all floorplans have slides now:
Phoenix Cruiser - Affordable Luxury Class B+ Motorhome

Wow you are right though: On their inventory page the link for the 2551 there says: "Very Rare because it has no slide room"...interesting
Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #39

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
We owned a Phoenix Cruiser 2100 (22') with a slide for three years before our Vegas and loved the RV. Great support from a small company that only builds a few a week and when we bought one, they only built for individuals who dealt directly with the factory. They were very open to building anything you wanted (within reason). With a slide or without a slide, we redesigned our unit by having them take out a table and two chairs and installing a fold out table and small recliner instead. In our third year (two years out of warrantee) the fabric on our chairs and couch started to crack and peal and we took it to the factory and they replaced all the fabric on three chairs and the couch for free, in one day. They really stand by their product. If they build a small Class A on a 450 chassis, we would buy one from them in a heart beat. We have loved the layout and room in our Vegas and Axis, but dealing with Thor had been very different than dealing with Phoenix Cruiser.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:49 AM   #40
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Interesting, this floorplan of a 2551 shows a slide:
Phoenix Cruiser Model 2551

They may have added one for 2016/2017.

Looks like all floorplans have slides now:
Phoenix Cruiser - Affordable Luxury Class B+ Motorhome

Wow you are right though: On their inventory page the link for the 2551 there says: "Very Rare because it has no slide room"...interesting
YES JAMIE !! I WAS SURPRISED TO FIND THAT ONE WITHOUT A SLIDE..,
must have been a custom order. Knowing that Chance is looking for one without the slide, I had to post info !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ