Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Dream Axis/Vegas floorplans

I thought I'd start something fun here. If you've come up with a "new" Axis/Vegas floorplan post it. We can discuss what we like about it or not.

We'll have to put some limits on it since it would have to sit on an E350 or E450 chassis which means no 45 foot monsters

I think the limits would be something like 28ft or less, and max of two slides.

Earlier I've posted this floorplan that I'd think would make a great Axis/Vegas 2-slide camper:

While driving today (we had a party to go to halfway across the state which let my mind wander as I watched all the other campers drive by--we weren't in the Axis) I came up with something like this one:

Its basically the old 25.1 floorplan with one of those hinged "tent beds" hanging off the rear. In this instance you wouldn't have to convert that L-Couch into a bed unless you had visitors. It would give you all the advantages that the 25.1 floorplan had plus the extra bed hanging off the back.

Granted I don't think I've ever seen a motorhome with those pop out tent beds on it (our first camper had two and was a "built on a Friday" model..a real nightmare it only lasted a season with us). When that camper worked I didn't mind sleeping in that bed at all.

They do give you "slide out" kind of functionality in a very simple form--really its just a piano hinge and a latching mechanism to keep it closed. Weight wise I doubt it adds as much as a full slideout does.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Jamie, it's been almost a year since I asked a similar question, and my preference hasn't changed much; although I could now go for an even smaller Axis.

My original dream floorplan, except with a dinette in place of couch. And if needed they could shorten it a foot to keep it the same length. They could take 6 inches out of shower and 6 inches out of dinette, making these items like on larger Ace motorhomes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2789  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Jamie, it's been almost a year since I asked a similar question, and my preference hasn't changed much; although I could now go for an even smaller Axis.
Yeah I remember that thread..was a bit inspired by that (and watching all the campers drive by).
Old 08-22-2016, 01:07 AM   #4

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Guys,

Do you have a template to play with to lay these ideas out? If so, please share.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:11 AM   #5

THOR #2121
A smaller version of Axis optimized for touring could be designed similar to this Winnebago Sprinter Class C, which had very clever packaging for its size.

Replacing an Axis 24.1's Twin/King bed with bunks could shorten length by up to (nearly) 4 feet. Keeping length in 22- to 23-foot range would allow chassis to remain at OEM length.

Obviously this floorplan is no longer made, so buyers voted with their wallets that it's not a good idea.

A longer "Euro-style" Axis with Twin Beds and Mega Storage similar to Hymers and other Euro Class As would likely do better in marketplace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	1571
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	2790  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

THOR #2121
By the way, this floorplan is at PPL which could also work on Axis in +/- 28-foot range. I would prefer it much better than slide off the back.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	135
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2791  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Do you have a template to play with to lay these ideas out? If so, please share.
No, I go to various RV manufacturer websites and grab screen captures of their floorplans. Then I use a paint program to cut/paste the various sections together (the tent bunk came from the Aerolite website).

Chance: I've seen trailers with 3 bunks along the back. Two bunks going across the camper width wise, and a 3rd bunk along the side that sits in between the other two bunks forming a tiered L configuration.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:05 AM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Chance: I've seen trailers with 3 bunks along the back. Two bunks going across the camper width wise, and a 3rd bunk along the side that sits in between the other two bunks forming a tiered L configuration.
Yeah, I like that also. In small RVs having a dedicated bed(s) is a space-costly luxury.

What I liked about the Winnebago design is that the lower bunk hinged up against the back wall (if I recall correctly) which left plenty of room to stand bikes, including a tandem or two. Even with bed in sleeping position there is a lot of room under bed for long items.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	129
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2792  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
What I liked about the Winnebago design is that the lower bunk hinged up against the back wall (if I recall correctly) which left plenty of room to stand bikes, including a tandem or two. Even with bed in sleeping position there is a lot of room under bed for long items.
That was very common in 5th wheels and travel trailers a few years ago. Just after we had purchased our 5th wheel they started popping up. The "bike cargo hauler": A large door next to the bunks and the bottom bunk would flip up to make room for the cargo.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
That was very common in 5th wheels and travel trailers a few years ago. Just after we had purchased our 5th wheel they started popping up. The "bike cargo hauler": A large door next to the bunks and the bottom bunk would flip up to make room for the cargo.
Thor also had similar-size permanent storage compartments under the bedroom of many models, including Hurricane, ACE, Avanti by Damon, etc... We've looked at all of them but they are too large for us.

Thor could do the same with Axis 24.1 by simply elevating the beds a little (about one step), relocating the generator (to under sofa or dinette w/o slide) as on other model, and extending the chassis at back just a little differently. These are minor engineering details that would add a lot of "utility" to a small motorhome. With a little work they could make space not only for bicycles but also a scooter or small motorcycle.

To me what's missing from "RUV" designation is the utility factor and associated function, which are not much different than other motorhomes sold in US.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	145
Size:	775.1 KB
ID:	2799  
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Another suggestion I would give Thor for an Axis is to consider an optional lounge are in lieu of the Twin/King beds. They could keep the full length to sleep longitudinally, but make provisions for comfortable seating as a lounge area. Just slightly modify 24.1 bedroom, not a complete redesign.

The section across back wall of motorhome could double as a means to a large Mega Storage garage compartment below for bikes, scooters, or low-profile motorcycle.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	170
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2798  
Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #12

THOR #2121
It's been a while since Thor introduced a new Axis/Vegas floorplan.

Does anyone recall if the upcoming Hershey super RV show was used for a new floorplan introduction in the past?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Another suggestion I would give Thor for an Axis is to consider an optional lounge are in lieu of the Twin/King beds. They could keep the full length to sleep longitudinally, but make provisions for comfortable seating as a lounge area. Just slightly modify 24.1 bedroom, not a complete redesign.

The section across back wall of motorhome could double as a means to a large Mega Storage garage compartment below for bikes, scooters, or low-profile motorcycle.
Chance & Jamie...I enjoy reading your brain-storming !
as for redesigning the back of the 24.1 bed design..even though that photo is attractive, the couch type seating makes for lousy sleeping. We shied away from several units which have a seam down the middle of the mattress in corner bed situations...everyone has their own preferences and we, having run the gamut have found that king/twin setup satisfactory.
However, we would have considered bunk beds !
Regarding storage in the Axis...we have found it capable of storing all our 'stuff' ... however, at this time, a bicycle is not included !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Chance & Jamie...I enjoy reading your brain-storming !
as for redesigning the back of the 24.1 bed design..even though that photo is attractive, the couch type seating makes for lousy sleeping. We shied away from several units which have a seam down the middle of the mattress in corner bed situations...everyone has their own preferences and we, having run the gamut have found that king/twin setup satisfactory.
However, we would have considered bunk beds !
Regarding storage in the Axis...we have found it capable of storing all our 'stuff' ... however, at this time, a bicycle is not included !

K
Kay, I agree. Ideal seating surfaces rarely make good beds.

When cushions are flat like on dinette or a gaucho sofa I sleep well, but when surface is contoured like in picture I posted above the bed feels lumpy to me. Some Class Bs (even the very expensive ones) that have a powered rear sofa that makes into King bed suffer from that uneven surface.

Winnebago and others have tried to combine a bedroom/lounge on some small motorhomes where space is limited by installing a powered bed over the lounge area. That approach is nice in that you can leave bed ready for sleeping when powered up to ceiling.

Another approach is installing a queen Murphy bed behind a comfortable (for seating) jackknife sofa that is opened to get it lower, then the Murphy bed pivots over it. By day it makes very open lounge, and by night a comfortable bed.

Personally, I like the 24.1 Twin/King setup a lot, and only wish they were higher to increase storage below (like on so many European RVs). We want to carry at least one tandem and two single bikes inside RV and not off bumper. For a small motorhome, we would also prefer the entire bedroom not be used solely for sleeping, so we would try to at least get comfortable back cushions to use the Twins as daybeds for lounging. I'm not sure that's possible, particularly if beds are raised much higher.

Anyway, I'm hoping Thor or others introduce something new at Hershey.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Kay, I agree. Ideal seating surfaces rarely make good beds.

When cushions are flat like on dinette or a gaucho sofa I sleep well, but when surface is contoured like in picture I posted above the bed feels lumpy to me. Some Class Bs (even the very expensive ones) that have a powered rear sofa that makes into King bed suffer from that uneven surface.

Winnebago and others have tried to combine a bedroom/lounge on some small motorhomes where space is limited by installing a powered bed over the lounge area. That approach is nice in that you can leave bed ready for sleeping when powered up to ceiling.

Another approach is installing a queen Murphy bed behind a comfortable (for seating) jackknife sofa that is opened to get it lower, then the Murphy bed pivots over it. By day it makes very open lounge, and by night a comfortable bed.

Personally, I like the 24.1 Twin/King setup a lot, and only wish they were higher to increase storage below (like on so many European RVs). We want to carry at least one tandem and two single bikes inside RV and not off bumper. For a small motorhome, we would also prefer the entire bedroom not be used solely for sleeping, so we would try to at least get comfortable back cushions to use the Twins as daybeds for lounging. I'm not sure that's possible, particularly if beds are raised much higher.

Anyway, I'm hoping Thor or others introduce something new at Hershey.
Good Morning Chance !
You are right on ! I get it...wanting to store bikes in that area..those beds are a little higher as is, due to one being over fresh water & mechanisms, etc...the other side has under bed storage which is nice.

We do exactly what you suggested...we have extra pillows and often recline in the bedroom to catch some TV or do computer work. That area between the beds is handy . It seems Thor, if motivated, could offer another configuration of that rear bedroom...to accomodate twin/bunk sleeping and offer a taller slot for bicycles.

Regarding Murphy Beds....we, actually searched for a motorhome which had a one...could find them on Sprinter (as I remember) chassis, but not with any configuration/chassis we wanted.

Also...I wish Thor would offer the option, to NOT have the bed above the cockpit....storage/electrical-sound equipment would be better for some.

You know..it reminds me of years ago...when men designed kitchens...until women were allowed to offer feedback on how a kitchen should be laid out, etc...did they improve to what they are today !!

The same goes for RV's ... if mfg would listen to their clients, there would be many more HAPPY CAMPERS !

We still love our Axis ! For us, in todays market, we finally found a motorhome, the length we like, which offers us all the amenities we want!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

THOR #2121
One of the main surprises to me regarding Axis/Vegas is why other manufacturers haven't pursued smaller Class As based on Ford E-Series chassis. It seems like Axis/Vegas has been a success.

There are many Class Cs up to 32-feet long with 2 slides built on 14,500-pound E-450 chassis, so there is load capacity to make Class As much larger than Axis/Vegas on that Ford platform.

I'd be curious to know why other manufacturers keep choosing the truck-based F53 chassis for all Class As including those 30-ft and under.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #17

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Chance,

I have been wondering the same thing, all I can think of is with the F53 don't you have bigger wheels? If so, would that not give greater ground clearance for BoonDocking?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Perhaps they are waiting for a Transit based stripped chassis to build it on knowing that the E-Series will eventually go away at some point.

It is also possible that the investment required to design a completely new front shell for the E-Series chassis is too costly and only Thor was willing to take the risk?

The again, maybe you'll see some new ones from other manufacturers in Hershey this year--like its a time thing: The other manufacturers were blindsided by the Axis/Vegas units and didn't start working on them until well after they were out and selling well.

All of the above is just wild speculation though LOL.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
....cut....

The again, maybe you'll see some new ones from other manufacturers in Hershey this year--like its a time thing: The other manufacturers were blindsided by the Axis/Vegas units and didn't start working on them until well after they were out and selling well.

All of the above is just wild speculation though LOL.
Keep in mind that the Gulfstream Montaj came out in 2010, years before the Axis/Vegas. Thor's claim that Axis/Vegas was first Class A built on E-Series chassis is BS. They either had to know better or are clueless about their own industry.

And for what it's worth, the 29H floorplan was nearly 31 feet long. In some ways the Gulfstream Montaj design was better than Axis/Vegas, but they came out at a very bad time for industry. Their price point was also higher when economy had tanked. Or maybe it was just too ugly.

Montaj Luxury Class A Motorhome
Old 08-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah you've mentioned the Montaj before looks like it is an E-450 chassis. Perhaps Thor was being a bit sly since the first Axis/Vegas units were on E-350 chassis...so they weren't "technically" lying.... LOL