Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Factory Tour in Wakarusa IN

We have been camped only 240 miles away from Thor's factory where they make the Tuscany, Challenger, Outlaw, and some Super C models. Yesterday we drove up and took the 3pm tour.

Very interesting seeing the stages from bare chassis to finished product. Some facts I thought were interesting:

1. They only produce about 25 units a week of the above models. They claim to have scaled back because they want to maintain better quality control.
2. Nothing gets built for dealer "stock" or inventory. Every unit built is spoken for by a dealer someplace.
3. They buy the chassis/motors as they need them instead of buying in bulk and letting them sit around for a year or so.
4. Changes are made in the middle of production. For example they decide that a vanity should be moved 2 inches over they will catch the next unit coming through the line and make that change.

All in all it was worth the drive. Even though I could not take photos it gave me a better understanding of where tanks and other things are located.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Thanks for the info Joe-FL. It appears Thor is really making an effort to improve their quality control.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here are a few reactions to the topic thread:

Point 3 -- That is practicing "just in time Logistics." It prevents a manufacturer from having excess stock on hand thus reducing the revenue timed up in stock. Did they say whether they also practiced this for other components, like windows, appliances, etc.?
Point 4 -- Many of us recommend to new owners that they go to the Thor Motorhome website and fill out a Customer Support form for their specific model and VIN requesting production drawings. The request should include fresh water, sewer, AC wiring, DC wiring, wall and roof construction. This way they will have the exact drawing used to construct their specific RV (and the drawing should contain the changes they discussed that occur during construction.)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

THOR #5246
Thanks for the heads up Ed. I filled out the email form requesting the drawings. It would sure be nice to have those. I assume you know for a fact that Thor will respond and send them out?
Old 09-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Joe-FL, I did as Ed recommended and got our drawings for our 2016 Vegas. Really comes in handy if you want to drill a hole for something...lots of stuff in the walls!!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I have received 20 different drawings from Thor. My latest version of the manual I compiled has a list in Appendix 3. The manual can be downloaded by going to the first thread in the Motorhome Tech Topics section of the forum.

Normally Thor customer service sent me the filed as PDF files in an email to me. They usually responded within 2 or 3 days of my request.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Ohio
THOR #5413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
We have been camped only 240 miles away from Thor's factory where they make the Tuscany, Challenger, Outlaw, and some Super C models. Yesterday we drove up and took the 3pm tour.

Very interesting seeing the stages from bare chassis to finished product. Some facts I thought were interesting:

1. They only produce about 25 units a week of the above models. They claim to have scaled back because they want to maintain better quality control.
2. Nothing gets built for dealer "stock" or inventory. Every unit built is spoken for by a dealer someplace.
3. They buy the chassis/motors as they need them instead of buying in bulk and letting them sit around for a year or so.
4. Changes are made in the middle of production. For example they decide that a vanity should be moved 2 inches over they will catch the next unit coming through the line and make that change.

All in all it was worth the drive. Even though I could not take photos it gave me a better understanding of where tanks and other things are located.
How long is the tour?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
I'm at a rally in Elkhart and hope to do a factory tour on Wednesday.

KC
Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

THOR #5246
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
How long is the tour?
Our tour lasted at least an hour and a half. Even though it was a small group (3 couples).

One couple was recently retired and in the "tire kicking" phase visiting several factories, so they asked a couple questions. Another couple had a Super C lemon which was at another facility being repaired so they slowed things down a little making comments. Since we were transitioning from 5th wheels to coaches we also had a couple questions.

The young man that took up through the tour was very professional and knew about 90% of every detail reference these RV's. He couldn't answer one question I had about tank venting but other than that he knew his stuff.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I took the tour several years ago when we had our Tuscany, was a great tour and very interesting. The tour guide was very interested to hear how we liked our Tuscany and if we could make changes what would they be. Gives me the impression Thor does listen to its customers.

I emailed Thor and requested the production drawings for our Windsport, received them the NEXT day, WOW!!! Great customer service!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:38 AM   #11

THOR #5246
Just finished printing off all my drawings tonight. Thor Customer Service requested I send them a copy of my bill of sale or registration with I initially requested the drawings. They had the original owner recorded and not me. After emailing them the requested proof of ownership I received all the drawings via email the very next day.

Coming from owning two Keystone Montanas and being active on the MOC forum, I know some folks aren't thrilled with Thor. I think they blame some quality and customer relations issues on Thor because they now own Keystone RV.

I am retired and somewhat handy. I don't mind fixing simple stuff myself. So far I am pretty impressed with my Challenger and after getting these drawings so quickly I am REALLY impressed with Thor's Customer Service!