Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Yes indeed, it was a couple of fill ups before getting used to pulling that far ahead of the pump. Hose was to short.<g>
You also get questions at the gas station like "how much does your tank hold?" Especially from the guy waiting behind you after 5 min's or so of filling from a slow pump. And at one station, I got a call from my CC company on the cell phone after filling up asking if I had just charged $95 in gas.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Before the cheap gas (e.g. last summer) I would frequently hit the pumps $100 cutoff (one station had a 20 gallon cutoff).
About 1/2 of the time someone talks to me about the Axis at a gas station. It seems to alternate between commenting on how much gas it takes to fill up or someone asking about the unit itself (even had one or two ask to see the inside).
With the Vegas/Axis units being so new (still) you do get a lot of traffic inquiring about it everywhere (gas stations, rest stops, campgrounds, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Well said Jamie. I just finished a 7,100 mile coast to coast trip and noticed the same steering actions. The wind and passing trucks are not so much a problem as the constant attention to staying between the lines. The alignment was done a few days before my trip in Dec. and I was thinking about taking it back to the local shop and ask them if something could be done to minimize the lack of tracking. Maybe a little more caster would help. I will check with them after finishing unpacking and cleaning and see if they can recommend of do something. It is kind of tiring to have to be on the guard every second.
When you took the trip, did you pull a car behind? If not, how easy was it to go where you wanted for shopping and such and park. Did you find places to park not in camp grounds? just curious.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #24
pkh

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #1483
We bought our Axis last month and so far have only had one weekend trip in it.

We've been happy with everything except the handling seemed a little vague and it required lots of correction on the road.

Well we had an alignment done today wow what a difference. Drives nice and tight now.

I noticed the sticker next to the driver seat said to do an alignment post loading the vehicle up with water, gear, etc.

To anyone having issues with steering I'd do this first.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #25

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
When you took the trip, did you pull a car behind? If not, how easy was it to go where you wanted for shopping and such and park. Did you find places to park not in camp grounds? just curious.
No car behind. That is mostly the reason we stayed with the shorter unit. The Vegas is about a foot or so longer than the Navion we used to own, but it has not been a problem in parking for shopping or in restaurant lots. It is quick and easy to connect and disconnect when entering and leaving a campground for sightseeing or visiting.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #26

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkh View Post
We bought our Axis last month and so far have only had one weekend trip in it.

We've been happy with everything except the handling seemed a little vague and it required lots of correction on the road.

Well we had an alignment done today wow what a difference. Drives nice and tight now.

I noticed the sticker next to the driver seat said to do an alignment post loading the vehicle up with water, gear, etc.

To anyone having issues with steering I'd do this first.
I still haven't had the time to take it back to the alignment guy and talk it over with him and see what if anything can be done. On the trip, I talked to a guy in a campground who said that the A's have a tendency to wander if alignment is not set just right. Whatever that means. Will try to get around to it before spring. Glad you are happy with yours. Other than a few minor issues, these are very comfortable campers and have some great features. We are happy with ours.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #27
pkh

THOR #1483
We had the alignment done at a commercial truck service shop, that does a lot of big rigs in addition to RVs. Not sure if that makes any difference but the end result is great.

I also have a safe-t bar ordered that should be installed this week, will report back on that too.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkh
We had the alignment done at a commercial truck service shop, that does a lot of big rigs in addition to RVs. Not sure if that makes any difference but the end result is great.
So did I: Mine was aligned at a Goodyear Commercial Tire & Service Center
Goodyear Commercial Tire & Service Centers | Service Excellence – Always
They did the alignment and then had me return after a hundred miles or so to make sure that it stuck (it did). The tech had mentioned that the Ford I-Beams have a tendency to "wander" a bit sometimes.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #29

State: England
THOR #1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I still haven't had the time to take it back to the alignment guy and talk it over with him an d see what if anything can be done. On the trip, I talked to a guy in a campground who said that the A's have a tendency to wander if alignment is not set just right. Whatever that means. Will try to get around to it before spring. Glad you are happy with yours. Other than a few minor issues, these are very comfortable campers and have some great features. We are happy with ours.
Hi, just joined the forum, where from the UK I bought
my Axis in Florida and had it shipped over to the UK, this is just to say that we have had no problems with the unit swaying, it drives like a dream, I think yours could do with an alignment, one problem we did have was that the radio is linked to the leisure batteries and doesn't turn off from the ignition hence the leisure batteries run down over night when you our wild camping, to get over this I had a switch put in so we can turn of the radio and it seems to have done the trick.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
Hi, just joined the forum, where from the UK I bought
my Axis in Florida and had it shipped over to the UK, this is just to say that we have had no problems with the unit swaying, it drives like a dream, I think yours could do with an alignment, one problem we did have was that the radio is linked to the leisure batteries and doesn't turn off from the ignition hence the leisure batteries run down over night when you our wild camping, to get over this I had a switch put in so we can turn of the radio and it seems to have done the trick.
WOW! I bet the Axis is perfectly sized for driving around European roads. That's great!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #31

THOR #1570
mpg

Just out of interest, how many miles do you get per Gallon, by the way over hear in the UK we have to pay £4.50 per gallon for gas, that's roughly $7 diesel costs a bit more, about $8, its the same price in France, Spain, etc., most of the price equates to TAX! roughly 65%
Old 02-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #32

State: Georgia
THOR #1547
No problems with the way ours drives either. Has been good since the day we got it.

We are averaging around 10mpg on fairly flat highways while towing a Ford C-Max Energi.

Paid $1.74 for gas a few days ago, but it is heading back up this week!

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to ship an Axis from Florida to England? My family moved from Sussex County, England to the states when I was in elementary school, and I still remember the shipping crate with our entire household possessions being dropped in our driveway!!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #33

THOR #1570
It cost me 71K to buy with no tax because I was exporting, the shipping cost me $2850, from Jacksonville to Southampton but we had to pay £9800 on arrival = $15000 all in all it cost me $95K that was with the modifications such as lights and electrical conversion from 110amp to 220amps, but the Thor dealer over here wants £90K that's $140K so I made a big saving doing it myself, if you are interested look up Signature Motorhomes, he is the Thor agent here in the UK, he's making a fortune as he is probably only paying $65K for each unit, maybe less, I have brought over quite a few units over the last 10 years or so, we just love American RV's here in the UK they do not make Motorhomes with slides and are very small inside!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #34

THOR #1327
Randy,

Did you end up installing the Safe-T-Plus stabilizers ? I am looking at install a set thus week as I have to do something after an exhausting 850 mile drive..
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #35
pkh

THOR #1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
Randy,

Did you end up installing the Safe-T-Plus stabilizers ? I am looking at install a set thus week as I have to do something after an exhausting 850 mile drive..
We did our first trip with the Safe-T-Plus last week. It was an improvement for sure.

Make sure you get a solid alignment first, then if still not satisfied the Safe-T-Plus can help too.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 AM   #36

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
Phil,

I haven't, but still plan to. I've been on the road, but not in the Axis, and haven't done much of anything.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:49 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
I also had the by extension valve problem, as for driving I noticed the play in the steering but I do not notice out anymore
Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #38

THOR #1327
Srolfe, what exactly was your "valve extension" problem that caused a steering problem? Tire pressure was not set correctly? Did you replace the valves?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #39

THOR #1249
I know this is kind of an old thread, but thought I would ask the question: has anyone installed a steering stabilizer on their Axis or Vegas and if so, would you comment on any improvements? Especially on helping with road wander or keeping it straight ahead without constant attention. I am thinking seriously about getting one as the wandering is a real PIA for me on long trips. The passing of trucks and side wind is not an issue for me.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #40

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I recently had the Safe-T-Plus installed. I have not taken a trip yet but will be on the road in a couple of weeks. I did notice the steering wheel felt much tighter on my trip home after the installation. I will spend a few days on the interstate soon and will let you know about the Safe-T-Plus. I won't have much access to the forum for a few days starting on the 18th. If you think, send an email and I will let you know.