Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #8792
Drop-down / cabover bunk comfort? (Axis/Vegas, Synergy/Siesta Sprinter)

Does anyone have any experience sleeping long-term in either the drop-down bunk of the Vegas/Axis or the cabover bunks of the Synergy/Siesta Sprinter? I'm a youngish, tallish single person wondering what it would be like to sleep there full time. Any annoyances or suggestions to make it more comfortable/convenient? Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
We have a '17 Vegas with the drop down. If your tallish you might be uncomfortable-ish. The mattress is not more than a few inches thick and one night up there was enough for me. I'm 6 ft. 200 lbs. I think it was probably designed with kids in mind rather than adults. Also there is no insulation in the cap so heat and cold tend to be an issue. The grand kids love it.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We replaced the air mattress (ours is an older Axis that came with an air mattress for up there rather than the regular mattress the newer ones come with) with a combination mattress: 3" high density foam with 3" memory foam on the top.

Now its the most comfortable bed in the rig--our son(15) loves it much better than the air mattress.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

THOR #8792
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We replaced the air mattress (ours is an older Axis that came with an air mattress for up there rather than the regular mattress the newer ones come with) with a combination mattress: 3" high density foam with 3" memory foam on the top.

Now its the most comfortable bed in the rig--our son(15) loves it much better than the air mattress.
With the drop down bunk, is it meant to be stored all the way up, or could you install a thicker mattress and raise it to a few inches below the max height to account for a thicker mattress? (I've heard that some of the drop down bunks are only intended to be all the way up or all the way down)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
I have a two inch pad and pillows on mine and have no issue once it goes all the way up you put the pins in and it works fine...assuming they all work the same mines on a Hurricane
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

THOR #8792
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
I have a two inch pad and pillows on mine and have no issue once it goes all the way up you put the pins in and it works fine...assuming they all work the same mines on a Hurricane
With the pad, is it a comfortable sleep?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Can't even put a thick comforter on the ones with the magnetic lock.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
Thanks!

With the drop down bunk, is it meant to be stored all the way up, or could you install a thicker mattress and raise it to a few inches below the max height to account for a thicker mattress? (I've heard that some of the drop down bunks are only intended to be all the way up or all the way down)
We put the bunk all the way up during travel (storing the mattress on the back beds) with the pins in. When we're camping we leave the mattress on the bunk and don't put it all the way up (I still follow the sync'ing procedure, however, when lowering the bunk all the way and when we return it to full up for travel).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
With the pad, is it a comfortable sleep?
I have not slept up there yet, without it my daughter and son in law said it was pretty rough but they both have back issues.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #10

Model: Sieta Sprinter 24 ST
State: Virginia
THOR #4408
I'm short and keep the bed over cab down all the time. I put a thick mattress pad on it. My daughter has slept on it and my granddaughter used it full-time. Only the AC never made it to the front of the RV due to missing vent cover in back. it says its a double bed in my 24ST and I put double bed sheets on it. But the front curves so you loose even more length with that. Good luck!
jrizzo406 is offline   Reply With Quote