Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 02:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
Electrical receptical problem...

I have a Mandalay coach that has an issue I cannot figure out. When on shore power all electrical plugs (120v) work great. When I am on generator everything works great. When I am on inverter power some of the plugs in the living room on one side does not work. Is this normal or is there a problem. It is not GFCI related or anything like that..I just am wondering if it is wired like this for some reason or what kind of problem could I have.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #2

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I can't speak specifically to your coach, but in my ACE the inverter only powers select outlets. It powers both tv outlets as well as two other outlets. I think yours is most likely working as designed.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Ditto....the inverter isn't strong enough to power the entire coach. limited outlets. It's working as designed.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #4

Model: Mandalay
THOR #11268
thanks guys
Old 06-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #5

Model: Ace
THOR #11068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman32225 View Post
thanks guys

On my ace the tv in living room / outlet on passenger side / outside fridg is on inverter I took a tester and turned inverter on and tested all outlets with a tester all rv are different
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I am having a similar problem on my Axis. I hooked up an inverter 6 weeks ago and all but one outlet works. I know they are all on the same circuit (All non-GFI) because when on shore or Genny power they all work fine and when I flip the break all of them are dead. But when on inverter just the one outlet in the slide don’t work? Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I can only assume that you might be a newer coach owner, as these electrical things can be quite confusing at first.

With a Mandalay, I presume maybe 2012 or older, it's likely that while it may have a residential fridge, and even a 'larger' Inverter, the old wiring 'code' within the RV manufacturer's world may have yet caught up to how it was wired 'back then'.

In the 'old' days, I guess the manufacturers thought that we 'RVrs' didn't know enough about electricity, but to be dangerous. So, I'm thinking that while the Inverters used might have been large enough, they didn't wire them but to a few 'select' outlets in the RV.
Mostly, it would certainly be for the residential fridge, and sometimes even to a microwave and several outlets, maybe for TVs.
Now a days, though, we are seeing more and more factories decide to just make ALL the RV outlets 'LIVE' thru the Inverter. Why NOT, I say... and THANKS to them for doing that. It makes no real sense not to. We can use everything just as we do on shore power.
Inverters now are smart, too. They can cut themselves off if they are pulling down the house batteries too far, turn on the Generator automatically to recharge the house batteries, and many other things to give us comfort, and also protection.

My coach has EVERY outlet live thru the Inverter, thru the subpanel of 4 separate 15amp breakers.
If I want, I can have the fridge on, run the microwave, watch TV and satellite receivers, charge the iPhone, and have my desktop computer ready at any time.
Even when I plug into shore power or crank the generator, nothing is different, other than the power source.
When the generator turns off, or I unplug from shore power, the Inverter immediately takes over and continues if nothing had changed - NICE!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote