Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Entry Door Problems

We have continued to have problems with the entry door on our 2013 Palazzo 33.1. We are on our 3rd TriMark door lock, each time it gets destroyed getting the door open. Two different RV shops have worked on it, but all they do is shrug when I try to find out the cause. Last Oct at the Thor Diesel Club Ralley the factory tech worked on it and seemed to improve it as it was starting to show signs of sticking closed again. They adjusted the striker plate.

We had it out on a week long trip last month and planning another one next week. However, yesterday I went out to RV and door is jammed shut! I climbed inside thru window and played around with it with no luck. I removed the inner covering on Trimark lock but could not remove it for fear of damaging the door. I will be at a local RV shop tomorrow AM.

We love the floor plan (especially the mid-entry), the way it drives and now that we are no longer full time, the size is just right. However, this continued door issue is forcing us to think seriously about selling it. This door should not be rocket science, but it certainly seems to be.

Has anybody else had this persistent problem with the entry door , particularly, but not limited to the Palazzo?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop View Post
We have continued to have problems with the entry door on our 2013 Palazzo 33.1. We are on our 3rd TriMark door lock, each time it gets destroyed getting the door open. Two different RV shops have worked on it, but all they do is shrug when I try to find out the cause. Last Oct at the Thor Diesel Club Ralley the factory tech worked on it and seemed to improve it as it was starting to show signs of sticking closed again. They adjusted the striker plate.

We had it out on a week long trip last month and planning another one next week. However, yesterday I went out to RV and door is jammed shut! I climbed inside thru window and played around with it with no luck. I removed the inner covering on Trimark lock but could not remove it for fear of damaging the door. I will be at a local RV shop tomorrow AM.

We love the floor plan (especially the mid-entry), the way it drives and now that we are no longer full time, the size is just right. However, this continued door issue is forcing us to think seriously about selling it. This door should not be rocket science, but it certainly seems to be.

Has anybody else had this persistent problem with the entry door , particularly, but not limited to the Palazzo?
There is a lot of discussion threads on this forum about the Tri-Mark door lock. It would be a shame to get rid of a coach that you really like because of such a small (but important) item that can be replaced by another brand. We replaced our Tri-Mark with a Bauer brand after our Axis was about a year old. So far we have not had any problem with it. Do a bit of research and dump that Tri-Mark lock.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
There is a lot of discussion threads on this forum about the Tri-Mark door lock. It would be a shame to get rid of a coach that you really like because of such a small (but important) item that can be replaced by another brand. We replaced our Tri-Mark with a Bauer brand after our Axis was about a year old. So far we have not had any problem with it. Do a bit of research and dump that Tri-Mark lock.
X 2!
AND....
Check the door allignment at the hinge.... You may have a problem with the door being a bit cocked and putting pressure on the door jamb and Tri-Mark.
altho if there is an extra shim behind the hinge would do the same thing..
OR.. IS the door framing square (or the door itself) with the world?? if not that could be another issue.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree; an alignment issue would keep chewing things up...
Good luck!
Old 03-05-2018, 02:52 AM   #5

THOR #2248
Thanx to each of you for your inputs. I will be at the local shop when they open in the AM. I have some questions to ask and some alternatives to the Tri-Mark after they verify possible causes of the continuing problem. In other instances we were on the road, but now we are home and have time to get it done right!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #6

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
on the trim mark web site there is a new updated latch, they did away with the old sticky design,

but if not the latch look at loose hinges etc around the door that might move when driving
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
The problem is the latch is a poor design made out of pot metal. Tri-Mark makes a replacement made of steel that should last forever but if you keep replacing with the original they will continue to break. Our's broke one time at a very bad time so I replaced with a Bauer with a keypad. No way will I spend money on another Tri-Mark product. They know there is a problem but still keep selling junk. Jim.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We had a very similar problem and as others have said, it is a poor design. For almost 2.5 years we struggled with the same issue. Our lock broke at very inopportune time. Luckily there was a Camping World close by and I found a replacement in stock. Made the replacement and no more sticky lock.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #9

THOR #2248
Well I was at Campers Inn at Jacksonville FL before they opened and they took me right in. Quickly found the internal pot metal piece that moves the latch had broken. The parts guy first said I had limited choices, i.e. here is another Trimark. I made it clear that was not an option and that I was interested in the Bauer lock, preferably the digital version, but would consider the mechanical one! He said it would be a couple of days before he could get it ordered! When I told him I could get the digital one from Amazon by Wed he got serious and found one on the shelf!! Don't know why he was so difficult initially but he did genuinely get the message and everything turned out good.
Hope this is the end of the door lock problem!!
Thanx again for your inputs, they help.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
The plastic bracket on my metal screen door shifted and cause the deadbolt latch to hop up and latch. It locked me out and I had to call a locksmith. The design is terrible. I took a pair of pliers and snapped it back in and it's never had a problem since. Why can't Thor fix these minuscule problems that cause major headaches?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
...I was interested in the Bauer lock, preferably the digital version, but would consider the mechanical one! He said it would be a couple of days before he could get it ordered! When I told him I could get the digital one from Amazon by Wed he got serious and found one on the shelf...

Geez, don't you hate that! We have all been treated like that, you handled it well!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
...The parts guy first said I had limited choices, i.e. here is another Trimark. I made it clear that was not an option and that I was interested in the Bauer lock, preferably the digital version, but would consider the mechanical one! He said it would be a couple of days before he could get it ordered! When I told him I could get the digital one from Amazon by Wed he got serious and found one on the shelf!! Don't know why he was so difficult initially but he did genuinely get the message and everything turned out good...
Congratulations on standing your ground, and getting it fixed to your satisfaction!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Well I was at Campers Inn at Jacksonville FL before they opened and they took me right in. Quickly found the internal pot metal piece that moves the latch had broken. The parts guy first said I had limited choices, i.e. here is another Trimark. I made it clear that was not an option and that I was interested in the Bauer lock, preferably the digital version, but would consider the mechanical one! He said it would be a couple of days before he could get it ordered! When I told him I could get the digital one from Amazon by Wed he got serious and found one on the shelf!! Don't know why he was so difficult initially but he did genuinely get the message and everything turned out good.
Hope this is the end of the door lock problem!!
Thanx again for your inputs, they help.
Do you have the model number of the BAUER,,,? Is it an easy (read DIY) replacement for the TRIMARK used on AXIS/VEGAS?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #14

THOR #2248
It is the Bauer EM, the latest model is Bauer EM AlSentis! The AlSenis has some tech improvements but operates the same as the EM which I have! You can get them on Amazon. It is a simple R&R and they come with good instructions.
link is Bauer EM AlSentis | Bauer Products

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #11113
Door lock problem

We’re continually having entry door issues with our 2018 class C Four Winds. Very scary when you can’t get out!!! Especially since we witnessed an RV fire this winter in our park. It was fully engulfed in minutes.

I would think that this is a major safety issue and Thor would be on top of it before someone dies in a fire ??

We’re definitely going to look into replacing the lock.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
As for safety, just keep in mind that you should have at least (2) windows that are designed to easily escape in the event of a fire or unfortunate crash. At least, that's what Thor would tell you if you brought that up.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #17

THOR #11113
Door problem

Thank you for reply on our issues with our entry door. Yes, I there is one window over the booth and one in the back but the door is designed for easy escape. Not knocking you... just saying ...it’s hard to understand why manufacturers skimp on such an important issue
Old 04-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #18

THOR #11113
Thank you
Old 04-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I'm right there with you. I went through this same sickening realization a few months ago and proactively replaced my Trimark door lock. I'm not happy with how our door doesn't shut smoothly and have tried all sorts of adjustments myself to remedy the situation.

What's a real kicker, is if you go no the lot and look at the Thor 2018/2019 models. They don't even use a Trimark lock anymore on their doors.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #20

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
I have been studying the door lock on my 2015 Hurricane. The way Thor installed the door there is about a 1/8 to 3/16 inch wider gap between the door and the frame at the latch than at the top and bottom. As a result the latch bolt doesn’t engage the plate very deeply. It jiggles out during travel, leaving the deadbolt to hold the door shut...not a satisfactory situation.

I think that the solution will be to unscrew the latch side of the door frame, put some shims behind it, and screw it back down drilling new holes in the frame.

If anybody has seen this before or has a better idea for a fix, I’d sure like to hear from them. Thanks!

Tags
entry door, pallazzo, trimark