Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Extended warranty

Going through warranty issues on my slides on my Miramar. Wanted feedback on people that use or have used extended warranties good and bad.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My opinion about them: Thy cost a whole bunch of money; but can often prove to be worth every penny!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Suggest you do a search on that subject. It's been thoroughly discussed here and on every other RV forum.

If you don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, it might make sense to look further into one.

Be sure you understand the provider limitations, the deductibles and especially, the exclusions. And remember, the selling agent keeps about half of what you pay for one, and the issuing companies still make big money. You do the math...
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You also can cancel anytime for a prorated refund. You can consider canceling after a year or so when maybe the bugs are worked out of your coach and you have some confidence that you won’t need it. I bought mine from camping world when I bought my Freedom Elite. I kept turning it down until the price was down to $2500 for 7 years. And I canceled after less than a year when I figured out that these things aren’t nearly as complicated as they appear to be.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4609
Just curious what year is your Miramar?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You also can cancel anytime for a prorated refund.
I cancelled the extended warranty on Outlaw after I traded it in. We got back over $6100.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I cancelled the extended warranty on Outlaw after I traded it in. We got back over $6100.
That was good move, Bob.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
When we purchased our ws31 used and only 10 months old it came with transferable service plans. We have been very happy to have that coverage for a couple issues. When the vinyl seats started showing nicks and chaffing within the first year, we contacted the company that warranties the applied concoction on the interior. They agreed to pay 600 bucks towards the repair of the captains seats. Good Sams service plan paid for the expensive slide motor replacement as well. (the slide was stuck in.)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Bob, if you got back $6100, what did it cost originally? That is a lot of warranty money.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #10

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Arizona
THOR #15233
After a lot of research I went with "Wholesale Warranties", they had the best price and I got the $100 deductible. The st year I exceeded the the cost of of the warranty the 1st year. It was so worth it. And then my 3 years/36k miles on the truck expired so I got an extended warranty on it too with a discount because I already had my trailer on it.
When I purchase my new ACE later this year I will transfer both warranties over to the MH.
The only problem I see with extended warranties is the dealers that do the work, they don't like working with EW, they like over charging you for work but the EW only allow a reasonable hours of labor. The EW says it only takes 3 ours to replace the part and the dealer wants to charge 5 hours of labor. Most of the time the EX warranty might go an extra hour of labor and maybe the dealer may except 4 hours instead of 3. But sometimes the dealer will want the customer pay our of his pocket the extra hours. In that case I would suggest going somewhere else for service.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Thank you for that info.
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine@gmail.com View Post
After a lot of research I went with "Wholesale Warranties", they had the best price and I got the $100 deductible. The st year I exceeded the the cost of of the warranty the 1st year. It was so worth it. And then my 3 years/36k miles on the truck expired so I got an extended warranty on it too with a discount because I already had my trailer on it.
When I purchase my new ACE later this year I will transfer both warranties over to the MH.
The only problem I see with extended warranties is the dealers that do the work, they don't like working with EW, they like over charging you for work but the EW only allow a reasonable hours of labor. The EW says it only takes 3 ours to replace the part and the dealer wants to charge 5 hours of labor. Most of the time the EX warranty might go an extra hour of labor and maybe the dealer may except 4 hours instead of 3. But sometimes the dealer will want the customer pay our of his pocket the extra hours. In that case I would suggest going somewhere else for service.

I once had a dealer simply refuse to deal with the warranty company. Said he’d had too much trouble trying to get he required preapproval with their repeated requests for more information and too much time on hold when calling. I find that pretty easy to believe. This dealer said if I wanted him to fix it I could then request reimbursement for the repair. As it happens it doesn’t work that way. If not preapproved there is no payment or appeal. That is why I selected a Good Sam plan - I figured CW couldn’t back out of their own plan. But then I canceled it anyway and didn’t buy one at all for my latest rig (used). It’s a gamble either way.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #13

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Just curious what year is your Miramar?

2017. It’s a 35.2 Miramar
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Bob, if you got back $6100, what did it cost originally? That is a lot of warranty money.
It was a Camping World thing": about $8000
With the new rig we got a two-year longer extended warranty; for over $2000 lest!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #15

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Arizona
THOR #15233
CW Goodsam roadside assistant will cancel you after you the service 2 times.
CoachNet seems to be about the best service and price out there.