Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 03:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Arkansas
THOR #4438
Exterior tv mount on Tuscany XTE 36MQ

My 2016 36MQ Tuscany XTE exterior television is in a fixed position on a bracket, so the tv faces straight out, and in fact is tilted slightly upward. It is difficult to view the tv while sitting in the lawn chair due to glare, and gives the neck a strain after awhile from looking upward at the tv. Has anyone replaced the mounting bracket for this exterior tv with a bracket that will tilt/swivel?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Are you sure its fixed! I know on my ACE the TV is held in place by some very strong magnets. You may want to try and pull straight out.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

THOR #4438
I checked with Thor and it is a fixed/stationary mount, no magnet release.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ours is probably the same as yours - the TV itself has a 'receiver' mounted on it, and the bracket mounted within the bay 'receives' the mount - it's basically a flat mount, but you may be able to lift it off easily.

while you 'could' mount some type of swivel or tiltable mount, the question is really can the bay accept any type of additional mount because of it's depth, and still be able to close the door.
the power and coax/hdmi connections are probably a little limiting as well, as you'd need them to be a good bit longer to allow the tv to move away from it's mount.

while we get the glare often, too, my awning's privacy/sun shade limits a good bit of it. Sometimes I even pull down the door far enough to still be able to see the TV from my easy chair, and yet limit much of the glare, holding it in place with some strategically placed wire.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #5

THOR #4438
Found swivel/tilt mount

I purchased a swivel/tilt bracket assembly from Amazon that works on my exterior tv in the exterior compartment space. It's a Kanto M300W for 26" to 55" tvs. I think the W means white, because the bracket assembly is white. Now that I know it works I'll spray paint it black for a better look. I took off the Sony 37" tv by unscrewing the 6 lag screws holding the factory stationary tv bracket to the tv compartment. I removed the HDMI, cable, power, and speaker connections from the back of the tv. I drilled holes for the new Kanto into the steel tv compartment and bolted (6 bolts) the Kanto mount in the compartment, using a template supplied with the bracket. I then bolted (4 bolts) on the back of the tv the tv to the arm of the bracket. I reconnected all the cables etc. and all works just fine. There was enough coax, HDMI, and power to fully extend the new bracket to it's 19 inch extension, swivel it from side to side, and tilt it about 10 degrees. I will need to extend the speaker wires as they only allow it to extend about 8 inches. The whole job took about 45 minutes. The door closes without hitting the tv, albeit with only about 1/16" clearance. I'll probably put some felt or something over the screen when traveling just in case the tv mount allows the tv to jiggle when traveling, but the bracket is pretty sturdy and I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaasmund View Post
I purchased a swivel/tilt bracket assembly from Amazon that works on my exterior tv in the exterior compartment space. It's a Kanto M300W for 26" to 55" tvs. I think the W means white, because the bracket assembly is white. Now that I know it works I'll spray paint it black for a better look. I took off the Sony 37" tv by unscrewing the 6 lag screws holding the factory stationary tv bracket to the tv compartment. I removed the HDMI, cable, power, and speaker connections from the back of the tv. I drilled holes for the new Kanto into the steel tv compartment and bolted (6 bolts) the Kanto mount in the compartment, using a template supplied with the bracket. I then bolted (4 bolts) on the back of the tv the tv to the arm of the bracket. I reconnected all the cables etc. and all works just fine. There was enough coax, HDMI, and power to fully extend the new bracket to it's 19 inch extension, swivel it from side to side, and tilt it about 10 degrees. I will need to extend the speaker wires as they only allow it to extend about 8 inches. The whole job took about 45 minutes. The door closes without hitting the tv, albeit with only about 1/16" clearance. I'll probably put some felt or something over the screen when traveling just in case the tv mount allows the tv to jiggle when traveling, but the bracket is pretty sturdy and I don't think it will be an issue.
We just did the same thing. We also replaced the crappy Seiki TV with a Samsung smart TV. Our project was not as straight forward has you described here and required some modification of the "box" holding the TV, so a small portion of the swivel mount could recess into the space behind. The door to the TV compartment would not close otherwise. Even now it is tight. We purchased the slimmest TV and mount we could to be able to make this work. We also plan to cover the inside of the door with something to keep the TV from rubbing against it while on the road. Could you attach some pictures of your completed project? Also, did you replace the flat stationary bracket? We did not have room but had hoped to include it behind the new swivel mount to make it more sturdy.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 AM   #7

THOR #4438
Exterior tv mount on 2016 36MQ

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2423.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	13704

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	13705

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	13706

Name:	IMG_2415.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	13707These are a few photos of the swivel arm I installed in my 36MQ exterior tv cabinet. The device is white as there were no black units available. When the tv is stored the cabinet door is just a hair short of touching the tv, but so far so good. The Sony tv is the one that came with it from the factory. I don't know if the depth of the tv is "standard", but it works for this application.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:08 AM   #8

THOR #4438
A couple more photos.

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	13708
Attached Thumbnails