Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #3828
EzPass

We have a 2016 ACE 27.1 and had the tag on the windshield for a trip from NJ to Gettysburg PA. There were times when the tag was read and others it was not read. On the Penn. Turnpike I drove the same distance and was charged different tolls. I tried talking to them but I gave up. My classs c had it on the windshield and I never had a problem. My question is do you have the tag on the windshield or do you have an external reader? Thanks

Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
We have an e-mail pass mounted on the windshield of our 2016 Thor Ace 30.1. We travelled up and down the east coast last fall. No issues.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
Have both the EZ-pass and SunPass mounted on the window of the Vegas 24.1. No problem, and I've gotten to where I check to see the acknowledgement that it registered, but if it doesn't then they will send you a nice letter.

The SunPass is much easier to get and use, most grocery stores have them and you sign up online. In Delaware you order one online, if you have the time, or go to an office by the tolls. Takes about 20 minutes to get going, or you can finish the registration online.

The thing about the EZ-Pass is that you only get the discount in the state you buy it in, so full price in other states. Bummer, but still easy to get through tolls.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A lot of it depends on where the states have the sensors located at the toll booths. In Virginia the majority if not all of the EZ Pass readers are mounted overhead and mounting the EZ Pass somewhere other than on the windsheild becomes hit and miss. Virginia offers a license plate mounted transponder but they state it may not always be read because of the overhead readers.

Question about EZ Pass. Since it is based on the number of axles how do you handle it between towing and not towing?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26A
THOR #981
EZPass

I bought the SunPass/EZPass front bumper mount w/locking tool and have used all all my RVs - No problems.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

THOR #3828
When towing I take the ezpass out of the jeep and let them figure the cost. Hasn't been an issue over the years with the class c, little extra but nothing noticeable. This last trip I did notice a big increase, it was 53.00 from Gettysburg to NJ where it was usually 20 or 25. I never took notice on the price difference between towing and not towing.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
PA turnpike will charge you by weight and axle.
It will vary according to if you have a fully loaded RV vs. a empty one.
class 3(weight is 15,001-19,000)
class 4(weight is 19,000-30,000)
also towing a car will add axles.

Take notice to the metal strip you drive over next time you go thru the toll it weighs you.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBradley58 View Post
We have a 2016 ACE 27.1 and had the tag on the windshield for a trip from NJ to Gettysburg PA. There were times when the tag was read and others it was not read. On the Penn. Turnpike I drove the same distance and was charged different tolls. I tried talking to them but I gave up. My classs c had it on the windshield and I never had a problem. My question is do you have the tag on the windshield or do you have an external reader? Thanks
Both PA Turnpike and NJ turnpike have charged consistent tolls for me as well as the bridges in the Philly area. Only place that charges me different tolls from one trip to another is the one crossing the Delaware on RT. 202 above Lambertville/New Hope.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

THOR #3828
Thank you all for your responses.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We have suction cup mounted EZPass and SunPass. When the EZPass is on the windshield with the suction cups - no problems.

Most of the time the EZPass is considerably cheaper. If you should get a no read a letter telling you submit, you can go online and pay with your EZPass or at minimum call an 800 number. We've had to do this several times but it is very doable.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
We use an EZPass on our Vegas - sometimes while towing - works great. It is mounted on the top of the windshield. Have also used on my pick-up while towing - no problem. We have three vehicles registered on the pass and move it from vehicle to vehicle. I believe there is a weight limit on motorhome use - 15,000 GVM I think .
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
We have ours top center of the windshield. Last summer i drove from VA to WI to VA same route and had no issues. After the trip I reviewed the tolls and did not see a difference.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I have the EZPass on the RV - ordered the appropriate tag after talking to them - and have had no issues in Illinois, Ohio... NY didn't properly read it last time I drove through - mounted just below the tinted part of windshield - I called and they said to wait for a bill (license plate was registered so no violation). Haven't had the RV back there to try again.
Haven't used it while towing with the RV - All those trips have been north to south with no tolls...

But for my Acadia - I have multiple tags - normal, towing one axle, towing two axle... and put the correct one in windshield - and others in the 'prevent reading' bag...

Have a SunPass for the Jeep while in FL - its been through tolls down there - just not behind the RV...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBradley58 View Post
I have my EZPASS on the windshield of my Challenger motorhome and live in PA and have not had an issue on PA turnpike. I have it mounted very low on the windshield almost touching the dash.