Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
New RV Punch List - 2016 Hurricane 35C

A new RV is like a new home, you always have a list of repairs that are needed, but there are a couple I wanted to see if anyone else has seen a couple of them, or least warn people.

1. Jacks did not level. Turns out that the right / left front hoses are reversed. So, when the system tries to push on left, the front right and rear left jacks move. This is dangerous as the frame can torque, but also this means that the unit was never level set at the factory. Easy to detect, look at those color band and the color on the wire to the valve, they should match.

2. Entry door slight warp on the outside and the inside is bubbled. Turns out the dark vinyl decals hold to much heat from the sun and melts the insulation thus warping the door. We never went over 80 degrees, but did have the sun facing the door. You can hear the creeks when the sun hit the door.

The dealer and Thor are handling these without any issues, ie. simple hose switch on the jacks and whole new door/frame. But seems like both of these speak to very poor quality control.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
.......But seems like both of these speak to very poor quality control.
Actually, that's more indicative of very poor engineering and design.

If the assembly procedures for the lift system had been properly engineered, there would have been fail-safe measures, (Poke Yoke, different size connectors for example), to absolutely prevent the possibility of connecting the wrong size hose to the pump.

The decal, paint, and door frame materials should have been analyzed under normal operating conditions, (sunlight everywhere in the U.S.A.), by the engineering and design team.

The Assembly department is "empowered" to check that they are installing the lift pumps properly. The next operation in assembly is "empowered" to make sure that the hoses were installed properly. In particular, the guy who connected the lift control switch in the cockpit area should have insured that it worked!

The Quality Department inspectors are only there to insure that the lift system is there and that the artwork labels have been applied.

That's how it should work.

Now for the reality.

RV Manufacturer's generally do not have accredited college degreed engineering staff employed full time, and do not have an actual Engineering Department per se. They generally have employees who have moved up the ranks in the industry that have been trained to use Pro-E or AutoCAD software that make updates to existing floorplan designs. These people are not paid enough to own their own motorhomes and experience what they design. They may be granted temporary access to a company owned RV for visiting an RVShow, (while also representing the company), or win an opportunity to use a coach for a short vacation with their family.

RV Manufacturer's generally do not maintain any sort of full time Quality Assurance/Control Department or accredited college degreed Quality Engineers. Any quality assurance or control is conducted by lead men/women, supervisors, and the assemblers themselves as part of their normal job. None of these people earn enough to own their own motorhome. And, they are also generally NOT eligible to participate in representing the company at RV shows, or to win the use of an RV for a family vacation trip.

I can say all this because I am an Industrial and Mechanical Engineer by degree, a P.E.. I'm a certified Lean Sigma Master Black Belt, (Quality). I'm currently an aerospace industry executive and board member for several companies. In late 1990's through the early 2000's I was courted several times by the largest RV manufacturing companies to come work for them or join their boards. So, I became intimately involved with the RV industry.

And, that's why I stuck with aerospace.