Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Washington
THOR #3419
First trip and few basic questions

HI There:

Finally after owning this RV (Chateau 28Z) for two months, we are taking it for the first ride, I really mean the first ride! This our first RV and this is our first trip. It is going to be just a 24 hours trip which happened to happen!
Since it has been over 2 months since we took delivery of the unit, despite all the note we took during delivery procedure and all the you tube videos that I have been watching, I have come across a few very basic (maybe stupid )question which I would I appreciate the answer for them.

- When I connected the unit to the main water supply at my home (and later when I fill the tank to flush the tank and test the pump), water just trickles from chicken sink while if flow well from bathroom sink and shower. I don't see or hear any more air. Any ideas as to why?
- How the hot water tank gets filled up?! If I am connected to water supply (or if the tank is full) does that fill the water heater automatically? The unit has been de-winterized and I don't see any bypass for water heater (I don't have anything in my notes). I try to relieve the air in water heater by opening the valve on top of it but I don't see any water coming out even when I am connected to water supply.
- Our unit has electric/gas water heater. If I am connected to water supply and electricity, does the water heater works like a household unit? meaning just keeping the hot water hot?
- Some of the lights which work with light switch are extremely dim even when the unit is connect to electrical supply (not just on battery) while the light in bedroom which is not on light switch is nice and bright. Does different lights in the unit just use the house battery even if the unit is connected to electricity? Does this mean the hose battery is dead?

We knew the best option would be camp in it in our driveway but we couldn't make that happen due to life/work issue. Now this 24 hours trip has come up and we thought to take advantage of it.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post and these very basic questions.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Some basics. 1. Make sure the drain plug is in on the water heater (located outside your RV in an access panel). 2. Locate the bypass valves. Two should be open and the cross pipe one closed. 3. If you connect to city water make sure your using pressure regulator. 4. Close all drain valves. 5. Use either the city water connection or fill your tank and turn the pump on. 6. Open a hot water valve and wait for the water heater tank to fill. It may take awhile.

If you are plugged into shore power or generator is running you can use the electric mode on the water heater. If your not you can use the propane option. Both will work like your house and keep the water hot and ready. Just make sure the tank is full of water not air first.

I'm not sure on your lights. It could be you have some that run on 120AC and some are 12v DC. I'm not familiar with your model. You could probably change the bulbs out to brighter ones like LED's
Old 03-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To make sure the water heater is filled, before turning it on, you can open the pressure relief valve at the water heater while connected to city water or with the pump on and make sure water comes out the relief valve. If water does not come out of the relief valve do not turn on the water heater and check your by pass valves.

Before consuming the water in the RV make sure you sanitize the fresh water system. Although the owners manual has its issues, the section on sanitizing the fresh water system is relatively well written.

Make sure your use/store switch is in the use position when connected to shore power. If it is not the house batteries may not be charging and that could be what is causing your light issues. Some of the bulbs could be fluorescent, some could be incandescent, and some could be LED and all of them have different power requirements. Unless you have residential appliances with built in lights (e.g. refrigerator or conv micro) most if not all of your lights should be 12 VDC running off the house batteries.

Enjoy the trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Washington
THOR #3419
Thank you guys.
I will check all that.
I believe all the lights are LED on this model. At least that is what we were told, and they are look like LED light. So, if read your comments correctly, and that is what I have been reading and understood about RVs, when I am connected to shore power, the house battery get charged and that will power all my lights and small stuff. I check the house battery and it is reading at 14.5 VDC. Is that the right number or are these deep cycle batteries are suppose to be different? There is no label what so ever on this battery about any specifications!!
Old 03-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDWRK
I check the house battery and it is reading at 14.5 VDC.
That is good; 14.5VDC indicates the battery is being charged (a voltage of 12 or so would indicate not being charged).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDWRK View Post
Thank you guys.
I will check all that.
I believe all the lights are LED on this model. At least that is what we were told, and they are look like LED light. So, if read your comments correctly, and that is what I have been reading and understood about RVs, when I am connected to shore power, the house battery get charged and that will power all my lights and small stuff. I check the house battery and it is reading at 14.5 VDC. Is that the right number or are these deep cycle batteries are suppose to be different? There is no label what so ever on this battery about any specifications!!
With shore power connected and the use store switch in use a reading of 14.5 VDC indicates the converter is in Bulk Mode and is recharging the batteries due to a heavy drain. The converter can stay in Bulk mode for up to 4 hours recharging the batteries and then drop to Absorption or Float mode. If the converter continually switches between Bulk and Absorption modes it could indicate a problem with the batteries. Absorption mode should read approx. 13.6 VDC and Float will be 13.2.

Attached is a WFCO manual but I am not sure it is for the model converter on your particular coach.

WFCO Operator-Manual.pdf

In my coach although they say LED lights, the ones under the cabinets are fluorescent and the reading lights in the bedroom and over the coach are incandescent. The only LEDs in my coach were the ones in the ceiling.

Also, even with LEDs there can be a difference in brightness because of the particular bulbs and the color range in which the bulbs fit (e.g. bright white, white, yellow) and the amount of light (lumens) each bulb produces.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote