Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Ford 2016 E-Series Chassis Specifications

If considering 2016 Ford-model-year based Class C's or Axis/Vegas Class A's (built on E-Series stripped chassis), you may find these specs useful/interesting.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...Cutaway_SB.pdf

There is a lot of data listed for each model, including load capacities, spring rates, stabilizer bar sizes, tires, brakes, new 6R140 and older 5R110 transmission ratios, etc.

I found a couple of discrepancies which are probably typos, but in general it's got a lot of great detailed information for the technical types.

One item that caught my attention is how little difference there is between the E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis except for rear axle and springs. By comparison there appears to be more differences between the E-350 and E-450 Cutaway chassis.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Over on the pickup trucks forums there is a lot of discussion about what, exactly, is different between the F-250 and the F-350 as well.

The general consensus was that they are pretty much identical trucks aside from springs and axles much like your observation about the E-350 and E-450.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One thing the attached specs don't tell you is the optional 6.8 L V10 is a 2 valve version detuned to 305 HP. The 6.8 for the E series is not the same 3 Valve 362 HP engine that is in the F53. To get that info you have to do the comparison between the 2016 E series and F53 chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One thing the attached specs don't tell you is the optional 6.8 L V10 is a 2 valve version detuned to 305 HP. The 6.8 for the E series is not the same 3 Valve 362 HP engine that is in the F53. To get that info you have to do the comparison between the 2016 E series and F53 chassis.
Dave, I know it's semantics, but the 2-valve V10 came before the 3-valve, so the F53's is an upgraded version of the one found in Axis/Vegas. In fact, my first V10 was rated at 275 HP (also 2-valve), with others rated at 305 HP.

I'm making this distinction to highlight that Ford didn't detune the V10 for the E-Series -- because the connotation suggests making of a cheaper product. I think the reason they didn't upgrade the E-Series to 3-valve heads may have included other limitations.

At the lower RPMs these V10 engines operate most of the time, I'm not sure it makes all that much difference to drivers anyway. I certainly don't go near 300 HP on my present one. At cruise I'm only using around 50 HP on average. My best guess is that Axis/Vegas at level cruise run around 75 to 100 HP, depending on speed.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Over on the pickup trucks forums there is a lot of discussion about what, exactly, is different between the F-250 and the F-350 as well.

The general consensus was that they are pretty much identical trucks aside from springs and axles much like your observation about the E-350 and E-450.
Frame specs and front suspension look the same, as do tires, wheels, front brakes, etc. I'm going to look closer because it is strange.

One item that jumps out is that by upgrading the rear axle by 1,100 pounds (9,600 versus 8,500) Ford increases chassis rating by as much as 2,000 pounds. That's 12,500 maximum for E-350 versus 14,500 pounds maximum for E-450.

There must be more to it but I haven't found it yet. Otherwise there is more safety margin with E-350.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dave, I know it's semantics, but the 2-valve V10 came before the 3-valve, so the F53's is an upgraded version of the one found in Axis/Vegas. In fact, my first V10 was rated at 275 HP (also 2-valve), with others rated at 305 HP.

I'm making this distinction to highlight that Ford didn't detune the V10 for the E-Series -- because the connotation suggests making of a cheaper product. I think the reason they didn't upgrade the E-Series to 3-valve heads may have included other limitations.

At the lower RPMs these V10 engines operate most of the time, I'm not sure it makes all that much difference to drivers anyway. I certainly don't go near 300 HP on my present one. At cruise I'm only using around 50 HP on average. My best guess is that Axis/Vegas at level cruise run around 75 to 100 HP, depending on speed.
Actually when I bought my Class C a few years ago Ford themselves classified the V2 V10 as being a "detuned" version of the V3 V10. The reason they gave is excessive heat build up in the engine compartments of the E series chassis with the V3 362 HP engine. Not my words but Ford Technical Support's. If I have the time I will go back to my email archives and find the message from their TS folks after I submitted the inquiry. At the time I was wondering why the E450 cutaway was 305 and the F53 was 362 so I asked.

As to HP, a 57 HP difference is quite significant when you are climbing through the mountains of western Virginia or NC. Not sure about others but my camping the past few years has been about 65/35 mountains to flatland. I can tell the difference in power even with the increased weight of the Class A over the C.

I do not believe, or would suggest Ford does something inferior. In fact I was ready this weekend where they have surpassed Toyota in reliability ratings. When they get to be inferior is when I'll sell my stock.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Regardless of what Ford may want to define as a "tune", the important part in this comparison is how fast the motorhome can accelerate or climb hills/mountains. And that primarily comes down to power-to-weight ratio.

305 HP to a 12,500 pound Axis/Vegas is equal to

362 HP to a 14,800 pound motorhome.

While it's true that Axis/Vegas have 2-valve engines with less power than larger motorhomes based on F53 Ford chassis which have 3-valve engines, the average Axis/Vegas should still accelerate and climb significantly faster than most other Class As which so often weigh a lot more than 15,000 pounds.

Even if we include the weight of a toad the Axis/Vegas should hold its own against larger and heavier motorhomes based on F53 chassis.