Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: Outback 323 BH
State: Alabama
THOR #8747
Four Winds

We are currently looking at a 24F, 25V or 26B Four Wind by Thor. Would love input on each model and if any major problems encountered.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well the 25V is a brand new floorplan this year. Unlikely you'll find anyone that has one yet.

Its very similar to the floorplan on our Axis 24.1.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26b
State: Illinois
THOR #10012
We bought a 2018 26b in July. Would be tight with more than two people but fine for just me and my wife. We only put 600 miles (4 five day short trips) on it before putting it in storage. We had issues with the entry door as the dead bolt wouldn't lock, and the battery disconnect switch malfunctioned on our last trip. A new door has been ordered and the switch repaired at no charge. We like the floor plan so far I like how it drives. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
We put over 9000 miles on our 26B this summer. Longest trip was about 3500 miles RT and 3 weeks on the road. After downsizing from a 33 ft triple slide it did take some getting used to moving around in smaller quarters again but once you figure it out, all is fine. Once we got storage sorted out and added some shelves we actually have more space than we use. I've added some hooks and such to aid in keeping things picked up in the bathroom and bedroom. I also added a soundbar for the front TV and added a DVD player for the bedroom TV. I also removed the armrest from the end of the sofa behind the passenger seat to allow a little more movement of the seat back. The 24 was too small as she takes the sofa and I take the dinette most of the time. The single slide for the bed makes it pretty quick and easy to setup or depart and everything else is accessible without messing with the slide.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 24F
THOR #10076
The 24F has a clear advantage, with the whole left wall sliding out. It really opens up the interior of the coach. With the slide retracted, one can still access everything, except the bed. To me, if you’re going to have a slide, you may as well get the most out of that slide.

Another advantage of the 24F is the huge closet beside the bed. That is two levels and extra deep. The other units can’t compete on closet space.

Lastly, consider the bedding compromises of all three units. I sure wouldn’t want to sleep on the convertible bed of the 25V. There’s something to be said about crawling onto a real mattress. Also, consider the 24F and 26B require the slide to be extended to utilize the bed. It’s much less covert than a floorplan that allows use of the bed without a slide. If you’re planning on urban/undercover camping, that can make a difference.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

THOR #6414
Clearly we buy what we believe will suite our lifestyle and travels best. Seating was important to us while traveling as we stop and eat, nap, and at times even sleep without using the bed. The sofa was the selling point for us as we both can relax and face the TV, and it just gives us a more comfortable homey feeling to stretch in our own space when stopped on the road, overnight, or at our destination. The 24F clearly has a bigger closet space but the 26B has larger overhead compartments above the dinette and over the sofa, as well as storage under the sofa. We also like the mud room closet at the entry door on our 26B for coats, sweatshirts, the broom, umbrellas and such.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #7

THOR #10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Clearly we buy what we believe will suite our lifestyle and travels best.
Wouldn’t it be cool if we could sit down with a floorplan designer and lay out exactly the floorplan we’d like?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Wouldn’t it be cool if we could sit down with a floorplan designer and lay out exactly the floorplan we’d like?
I'm pretty sure I will never be able to afford what I'd have them build for me! A Super C is pretty close to ideal for me but I can't afford one of those either.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #9

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Thor vs Freedom Elite

I own a Thor Freedom Elite 23H. We deliberately bought one without a slide. Too many neighbours have issues with slides on their Motorhomes and 5th Wheels. GO back and read the slide issues on the various thor models on this forum. Freedom ELite is the downmarket Thor brand sold through Camping World. My used 23H cost me 55 percent of a new one, was 2 years old when I got it with 7000 miles. I put 12000 almost trouble free miles on it this year.
It is a good floor plan for 2 adults and comes with good storage and a full time bed. Yes I had no warranty but then I get to choose who fixes it and when. The GM chassis was a selling point for me and it relatively rare. Happy hunting

Reg
near Edmonton Alberta Canada
Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #10

THOR #6414
We seriously considered the 23H as we were looking hard at a units without slides. My wife likes having a couch to stretch out on so a chair didn't fit the bill for us... and hence our decision on the 26B.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
We got our 2017 Chateau 26B at the end of June this past summer. We've enjoyed it this summer. We made one trip out to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and the Bad Lands which was close to 6000 miles and another 2000 mile round trip to Pensacola, FL. One of the biggest selling points was the couch. We looked at lots of different choices, but we wanted both the overhead sleeper section, not an entertainment center and a couch instead of recliner, which was harder to find in this size motorhome.

There were 4 of us for the trip and we were comfortable. Me, wife, and 2 kids ages 9 and 13. The older slept in the cabover bunk, and the younger slept on the sleeper sofa which was easy to make into a bed at night and take down in the morning.

The other selling point was the E450 which has more towing power than some of the other motorhomes of that size built on the E350 or smaller chevy workhorse chasis.

Our only issues with the build quality was a leak over the drivers area (front left) that puddles up in the headliner after a good rain. All others were smaller things that broke (drawer lock, window lock, mud flap bracket). Can't remember other issues since it has spent more time with Camping World and their inept service department than it has with us sine July 1.

dave
Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post

The other selling point was the E450 which has more towing power than some of the other motorhomes of that size built on the E350 or smaller chevy workhorse chasis.

dave
This was a major selling point for us as well but unfortunately Thor screwed us and built ours on a 2017 E350 chassis and sent us title work as a 2018 (E350 is now the standard for 2018). When we inquired about the issue they just blew us off and won't talk with us. #ThorLacksIntegrity Too bad they didn't make things right with us. I guarantee I've turned more people away in sales then it would have cost them to make it right! And I'm far from over it...
Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 AM   #13

THOR #10076
Quote:
This was a major selling point for us as well but unfortunately Thor screwed us and built ours on a 2017 E350 chassis and sent us title work as a 2018 (E350 is now the standard for 2018).
In 2017, Thor was building some models on the E-450 chassis, because Ford had encountered emission certification issues on the E-350. If that didn’t happen, these smaller units would’ve never been built on the E-450. Thor didn’t screw anyone. And, there’s no difference in towing capacity between them. Other than spring rates, the chassis and drivelines are the same.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #14

THOR #6414
Quote:
In 2017, Thor was building some models on the E-450 chassis, because Ford had encountered emission certification issues on the E-350. If that didn’t happen, these smaller units would’ve never been built on the E-450. Thor didn’t screw anyone. And, there’s no difference in towing capacity between them. Other than spring rates, the chassis and drivelines are the same.
Wrong. Check the GVW and the GCVW differences between an E350 and E450. I've also got copies of the build sheet originally completed for an E450, the sales brochure, and a copy of their website advertising which all stated specifically E450 and GCVW of 22,000. An E350 GCVW is on 18,500 and when you factor in the weight of the basic motorhome you are pushing the limits of the GVW of 12,500 on an E350 as compared to 14,000 on an E450. I did my homework for a year before ordering our unit. I'd have filed a lawsuit but one I don't have the money to buy another RV while this one is surrendered while in litigation and two I don't have the health to miss out on traveling while I'm still able to.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #15

THOR #10076
Quote:
Wrong. Check the GVW and the GCVW differences between an E350 and E450. I've also got copies of the build sheet originally completed for an E450, the sales brochure, and a copy of their website advertising which all stated specifically E450 and GCVW of 22,000. An E350 GCVW is on 18,500 and when you factor in the weight of the basic motorhome you are pushing the limits of the GVW of 12,500 on an E350 as compared to 14,000 on an E450. I did my homework for a year before ordering our unit. I'd have filed a lawsuit but one I don't have the money to buy another RV while this one is surrendered while in litigation and two I don't have the health to miss out on traveling while I'm still able to.
GVW and GCVW are based on the ability to carry; the tow rating doesn’t change between them. You quoted “Hokie-Dave” and his reference to towing power, which was why I quoted you.

When I was shopping Thor coaches, I too was looking at the E-350 versus E-450 chassis. My purchase timeline fell into that transition period between 2017 and 2018 model years. I wouldn’t have known what was going on, if I hadn’t have run into a Thor rep. It’s my understanding the coaches now being built on an E-350 would’ve been built on that chassis in 2017, had there not been the emission certification issue. Since there was no issue with the E-450 chassis, that’s what they built upon.

I agree with you about coach weights pushing the limits. My 24F is F:4080# and R:7480#, for a total of ~11,500lbs. That’s completely full of fluids, but, no cargo. On an E-350, it’s definitely pushing the weight ratings, which is BS. There needs to be some mass change, whether through litigation or regulation, to force an industry change.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #16

THOR #9566
Quote:
GVW and GCVW are based on the ability to carry; the tow rating doesn’t change between them. You quoted “Hokie-Dave” and his reference to towing power, which was why I quoted you.

The GCVW is the Combined weight of both the motorhome as well as the vehicle being is towed. Obviously other factors play into the amount a vehicle can tow, like the hitch rating, rear gears, Torque the motor puts out, etc... There is a 3,500 pound difference in ratings between the E350 and 450 as well as a 2,000 pound difference in the GVW alone, which can make a difference especially the way some of the motorhomes are built so close to the GVW from the factory which is dangerous.

That being said, I've got no idea if I'll use the additional weight rating of my E450 over the 350, I feel it is nice to have. I'm planning on weighing ours sometime after we get it back from warranty work which is a whole other story, lol. Camping World has had our 26B longer than we've had it since we purchased it.

dave
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #17

THOR #6414
This is our scale ticket from one of our early trips this year without the trailer hooked up. Adding even a small amount of tongue weight with the trailer will send us over the GVW limit. We travel light so I can only imagine what it will be like for most owners of this unit. We did file with NHTSA expressing our concern about the safety of these on the highways as in all likelihood most if not ALL of them will be overweight. Granted the only difference between an E350 / E450 is (for the most part) sway bars and spring rates, it's the legal aspect that concerned me. What the unit is capable of far exceeds the actual rating but at the end of the day its the rating that will get you in trouble if you're ever in an accident or forced into a scale. And don't let anyone convince you that scales are ONLY for commercial vehicles. They are primarily used for commercial vehicles but I am one that can attest to the fact (twice) that they can require RVs to come into the scale if they feel you are overweight or to inspect your setup when towing or to verify you are noncommercial. Scaling vehicles I own and use is not new to me and this is the first one that we will likely regularly be over the E350 limit yet under the E450 limit. This is what pisses me off about Thor because I put so much effort into researching these RVs and even talked with one of their Reps at the RV Show just DAYS before we put in our order because I have a car trailer and a jeep (and a convertible) that I wanted to tow and to be legal this was the only unit we found we liked (and could afford) that gave us the towing we needed. We sold our Cougar and our Lance to make this purchase. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170712_213725128.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	8266  
Old 12-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #18

THOR #9566
Roger, thanks for the info on the actual weight of your 26B. We are not "light" travelers with us and the 2 kids, so it should be interesting to see. I'm assuming that weight was with a full Fresh Water tank and empty black and grey since it was at the beginning of your trip? When we get ours back from service I guess we will have to find that storage under the sofa, I don't think my wife has found that spot yet.

dave
Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

THOR #10076
Quote:
The GCVW is the Combined weight of both the motorhome as well as the vehicle being is towed. Obviously other factors play into the amount a vehicle can tow, like the hitch rating, rear gears, Torque the motor puts out, etc... There is a 3,500 pound difference in ratings between the E350 and 450 as well as a 2,000 pound difference in the GVW alone, which can make a difference especially the way some of the motorhomes are built so close to the GVW from the factory which is dangerous.
My mistake. I didn’t break out the calculator and just assumed the only difference was their carrying capacities causing the differences in weight ratings.

Next time I’m at the dealer, I’m going slide under an E-450 and see what gearing the tag shows. I don’t know of anything else allowing more tow capacity.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 AM   #20

THOR #6414
Quote:
Roger, thanks for the info on the actual weight of your 26B. We are not "light" travelers with us and the 2 kids, so it should be interesting to see. I'm assuming that weight was with a full Fresh Water tank and empty black and grey since it was at the beginning of your trip? When we get ours back from service I guess we will have to find that storage under the sofa, I don't think my wife has found that spot yet.

dave
Dave, Yes that was a full freshwater tank and empty black/gray tanks. Since it was one of our first trips there were no lawn chairs, no toolboxes, no extra water hoses and stuff like that. We're talking a couple days food and clothing, and some extra linens, and no winter gear like coats and such. We did have two lightweight mountain bikes and rack in the rear hitch which would have added maybe 100 lbs at the hitch but not nearly what we have when the trailer is attached. It did include 2 adults and a dog (about 320 lbs combined between the three of us). We typically travel with a case of water and a case of pop. Most of the dishes are lightweight plastic (except we do carry real coffee cups). I also carry lightweight plastic levelers instead of wood to conserve on weight. It had no problem pulling the trailer and there wasn't much difference in fuel economy either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170917_101844405.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	8278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170115_0001.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	8279