Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #14841
CCC and towing with super-c ?

New to the forum and am "still shopping" for a MH most likely a super-c but have some questions about available CCC and real world experience with towing.

1. What are some typical CCC ratings on super-c units ?
2. Has anyone towed a "open bed car hauler" trailer ? If so, what is total weight of trailer and vehicle being carried ?

Thanks in advance for your help and any info you can provide to assist us in making a decision. We are doing "comparison shopping" right now between different makes and would like some "real world" info.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the CCC, or difference between GVWR and GCWR, will be different for each and every unit out there, because floorplans and lengths are different between many different Super-C models...if you can provide a specific make/year/model#, the manufacturer's website will show you the numbers, for your planning purposes...

the towing capacity will be the GCWR minus the fully-loaded WEIGHT of the coach itself, leaving the difference as how much you can 'pull' with your coach. What 'type' of trailer, toad, or 'open trailer' won't really matter. The tongue-weight capacity of your Super-C's hitch, typically 10% of the total max weight rating for the hitch, may limit what tongue weight trailer you could tow.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I tow a 92 Camaro drag car on an open dual axle trailer with an e450 based 2016 Vegas. The GVWR of the Vegas we have 14,500, GCVW is 22,000. Cargo capacity is 3,199 on yellow sticker.

When we took it to scale we found that full of gas, propane and water we were at 12,800 Maximum. The trailer was 5,500. This was well within the 14,500/22,000 limitation. We run heavier than most due to a lot of spare stuff for car and tools, etc. When we are at out of town races longer I take extra water which is carried in interior behind rear axle or tied to front of car.

The only real limitation that comes into play for us is tongue weight. The 500 lb limitation means I move car further back on trailer. Is not an issue and package tows great in this setup. Being my first ever Ford, I am impressed with the performance of v10/6 speed. Keeping up with traffic and merging is never issue.

When we picked this unit out, it was between an Itasca 26 on F-53, an ACE on F-53 and the Vegas on e450. The Vegas had best overall cargo/towing capacity and also has best wheelbase to length ratio and shortest overhang. Almost 3 years and 22,000 miles later we are still very happy with our choice.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Specific to your questions...I have a Super C and tow a 16' steel with wood floor, tandem car hauler trailer with a 1989 Jeep YJ. the Jeep has been modified with all the front guards, winch, 3 1/2 lift, 33 12.5, etc. The Super C towing capacity is 10K pounds with a tongue weight rating of 1K. It has the larger commercial receiver so you have to buy a reducer sleeve to bring it back down to the standard 2". I use tire ratchet straps as they hold in the tire lugs very well. I also attached permanent "chocks" in front of the front tires. Total weight of the combo is around 6500 pounds. The power of the diesel is amazing...it tows like its hardly back there. The Boost PSI goes up about 15% but the reserve power you're normally not using is as if there's nothing back there. You can feel if back there but it doesn't affect to pulling ability. Tongue Weight will add to your GVWR and pushes the limit. Mileage drops by 1 MPG. I like the trailer set up as I can carry collapsible dog fence, portable generators, extra fuel, ladder and any thing else specific to our trip plans and the extra weight is not added to the coach. My first requirement for the MH was diesel for power, second was Class C for cab construction quality and third was bath and a half. It narrowed it down to the Super C and we love it!! The only thing I change with the coach while towing is reducing the volume in the fresh water tank by 50 gallons (400 pounds). This offsets the added tongue weight as it relates to GVWR...but I can carry 6 gallon Jerry Jugs of water on the trailer if needed, as you will have reserve capacity where combined weight rating is concerned.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

THOR #11130
One last note...you can also forget about all the brake crap needed on most toads. The trailer brakes take care of it and the Super C has the controllers already built into the instrument cluster...by Ford.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
If we ever go larger, it would likely be a Gritz style super c. Buddy of mine has one and loves it.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

THOR #11130
That's what Thor should name it..."The Gritz".
Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #8

THOR #14841
Thanks TurnerFam - I didn't get too specific because the 3x Thor super-c plans are very similar and very few options so just wanted some "general" info re CCC and towing - we are considering an aluminum open car trailer approx. 18-ft with "small" vehicle approx. 5000/5500 lbs max. I appreciate your response.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

THOR #14841
Thanks Gritz for both responses - very helpful info - and the trailer brake controller info was "right on" ( I was about to "ask" if the harness etc was included by Ford on the diesel F550 because it isn't included as standard eqpt on the gas E450 chassis - you have to purchase a harness and controller separately )
Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #10

THOR #14841
Thanks Muggs - I didn't realize the E450 chassis was used for Class-A types without the "cab" - I thought the F53 chassis was the standard for Class-A style MH. I appreciate the towing info.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperpapa View Post
Thanks Muggs - I didn't realize the E450 chassis was used for Class-A types without the "cab" - I thought the F53 chassis was the standard for Class-A style MH. I appreciate the towing info.
Ford manufactures the F-350, F-450 and F-550 cutaway chassis in Lexington, KY . Detroit Chassis manufactures the E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis as well as the F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis in Detroit, MI.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Another HUGE benefit is the Exhaust Brake. If you've ever been over Mount Eagle between Chattanooga an Nashville...the Super C went up and down at 65MPH on cruise. Never downshifted once going up an only downshifted 6-5 with exhaust brake going down other side...held speed well with the trailer.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #13

THOR #14841
Thanks again Gritz - exhaust brake definitely another asset of the F550 diesel - just another "safety feature" of the overall F550 cab chassis.