Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #3671
Four Winds/Chateau 22E

What's the gas mileage on either the Four Winds/Chateau 22E? I'm interested in that floor plan. If I do buy that model I would not be towing anything, and I would be following the speed limit of either 90KPH pr 100KPH (55MPH to 62MPH).

Old 02-17-2016, 02:00 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I have a Four Winds 23U and we get 10mpg. Took it out west from Illinois to California for about 4 weeks and at the end of the day we got almost on the penny 10 mpg. We had 4000 miles when we stated and put on about 6500 miles, did not pull anything. I assume you have the same Ford chassis with the V10.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:55 AM   #3

THOR #3671
I don't own it yet. I am looking at buying, I've narrowed it down to the 22E, another model from Coachmen, and 2 models from Pleasure-Way The main thing I am looking for is the vehicle can not have a slideout. A solar panel would be nice.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

THOR #992
We do not have a slide and have enough room for the wife and I. I do have a portable solar unit I bought at Bass Pro and I set it in a south window in the winter to keep the house battery charged. We do get stretches of single digit weather in central Illinois but not as cold as Alberta.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortsmithman View Post
I don't own it yet. I am looking at buying, I've narrowed it down to the 22E, another model from Coachmen, and 2 models from Pleasure-Way The main thing I am looking for is the vehicle can not have a slideout. A solar panel would be nice.
Are you looking at Class B (vans) or Class C in the PleasureWay line?

Of all the motorhomes we looked at during the Houston RV Show last week, the one that stood out the most by far to both of us was the new 2016 PleasureWay Plateau XL TD. It wasn't a good fit for us but the quality and design just felt and looked better than anything else in the small motorhome segment.

Workmanship was excellent, and for it's compact size (under 23-feet) it felt open -- actually seemed roomy considering it doesn't have a slide.

I think what made it different is that PleasureWay uses van design concepts on these small motorhomes so they end up with a spacious "small" floorplan, rather than crowding more into it and ending up with tight living quarters. Obviously they sacrifice some storage space, but to me that's well worth it for the extra elbow room. I've said before it's too bad Thor doesn't create at least one touring Axis/Vegas floorplan using same ideology of "less can be more".

We were told it was the only Plateau XL TD thus far making the show circuit, built on Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis, and the price reflected features like two lithium 100 Amp-Hour house batteries and solar panel (can't recall size but was small -- no more than 300 watts). These are features you don't see in most coaches of this cost.

Anyway, I'm just curious which PleasureWay models you've been looking at. They seem to be doing something that I like although I'm not entirely sure what that is.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #6

THOR #992
The PleasureWay units are very cool but I don't think you can compare their RVs with the Four Wind 22E they are just completely different vehicles. The price alone shows that it is two different leagues of RVs. My 23U does everything we need for much less money. With that said everyone has different tastes and resources for those tastes. I think the Pleasureway has top of the line RVs but we personally didn't want to invest that much money into our RV but you never know what we'll do down the road.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #7

THOR #2121
You're correct -- totally different classes of motorhomes from a cost standpoint, although I guess one could argue that by virtue of being of similar size they could be compared if buyer was more concerned about size than cost alone.

The motorhome I referred to in previous post had a retail price roughly twice that of an entry level Class C of similar size. While buyers pay twice as much for motorhomes of equal size all the time, it does place them in different classes.

The PleasureWay I would have liked for them to have had at the show was the Lexor TS on the RAM ProMaster chassis. The Lexor's floorplan isn't right for us either, and the cost may be too high due to features, but I would have still like to have seen what P-W can do with a ProMaster van.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

THOR #3671
I am more concerned about size. I like smaller, and without a slide.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #9

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
I have a 2016 22fe, it has the rear slide and in most every way same chassis E450. I chose the rear slide for us due to the fact I did not like the cut off corner of the bed. but to your question. Ford states not to even check gas mileage for the first 1000 and now approaching 3000 on my coach. 10 mpg. no better, no worse. we have done a lot of winter camping but not like your winters. teens mostly. we mainly use a ceramic heater since I hate to use my LP when I can use somebody else's electric.
patrick
Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii
Ford states not to even check gas mileage for the first 1000 and now approaching 3000 on my coach. 10 mpg. no better, no worse.
In the Super Duty pickups the V-10 would pick up a mpg or so at around the 10,000 mile mark.

If you have an OBD-II reader you can check codes, if you find a P1000 code then your engine is still going through its initial tests and may not get its best mileage. The P1000 code does not indicate any damage to the engine its simply a placeholder saying not all tests complete. The code will clear when the tests are complete (each test requires certain drive conditions like 20 miles slow speed driving, 100 miles highway, etc.).
For more information about P1000: http://www.autocodes.com/p1000_ford.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
I am more concerned about size. I like smaller, and without a slide.
Same for us, although I suppose "small" is relative. The largest Class Bs are still much smaller (in volume) than a small Class A or C of equal length. Having said that if I could get everything I need in a Class B that would be great.

We also want sleeping, forward-facing seats, and dining space for at least four adults. There are some Class Bs like the Winnebago Travato that barely meet these requirements, but they are too crowded when there are more than two inside. Plus we don't like a corner bed as our primary bed. For us it's looking like if we go with a Class B it will require a custom design.

Given that Class Bs aren't likely to get much larger, it's unfortunate that Thor doesn't build a simpler slideless Axis with the best features of Class Bs.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I have the 22E on the Chevy Chassis 6.0l Vortec. Mine is 10 months old and I just passed the 14000 mile mark and I have kept track of every gal of gas that went in to it. I am getting an avg of 10.9 mpg. 2500 miles through New England, 8000 miles across the US around the west and back to WV, 2700 miles down the east coast to Key west and meandering home. And a little over 1000 miles wandering the WV mountains. The worst mileage I got was going across SD with a 30 mph cross wind and back across KS with the same 30 mph cross wind avg 9.2. The best was going across PA and OH turnpike avg 12.4
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Our first motohome was a 21' Coachmen Starflyte..we loved that unit.
But, after a few years we found that a slide would be nice to have and if the one you are looking at has a corner bed...that means someone is going to have to climb over the other to get out !
We are now in a 2016 Axis 24.1 with twin beds in the rear and a slide in the living area. Since we purchased it in January, we have not been on a long trip as we are just barely, getting warm weather. But the 2 short trips we have made...we love this coach.
ENJOY YOUR SEARCH !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 AM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #6815
Mileage on maiden voyage

Just purchased a Four Winds 22E with a Ford 450 engine. Sad to say that we only got 8.2 miles per gallon, for 35 gallons when we filled it up after our shakedown trip. Loved it however, in all other aspects.
Sawdust coming down on the back pillows when we drive down the highway, though. I guess we need to address that! At this point in time we only gassed up twice with part of a tank new getting the vehicle at 1300 miles, and after our maiden voyage trip this weekend, so it's still being broken in. Salesman said it would get upwards to 12. DH didn't like that it got only 8. We re-did our alignment and castors last week before our trip as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #15

State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
If it is a new Ford I believe it has the 6.8 litre which is a tad over 400 cu in. Unless the new 6 speed tranny is working miracles I would not count on getting much over 10 after break in. I think its on the E450 chassis which is really heavy duty for that size RV. Of course driving in traffic or over 65 will really cut into that number too. Congratulations on your new toy though.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #16

THOR #6687
Quote:
What's the gas mileage on either the Four Winds/Chateau 22E? I'm interested in that floor plan. If I do buy that model I would not be towing anything, and I would be following the speed limit of either 90KPH pr 100KPH (55MPH to 62MPH).
We have just purchased a 2015 22E a month ago. It had 6789 miles when we bought it. We have been on one 500 plus mile trip and got just a hair over 10 MPG. Oh, it is on the Chevy chassis. Hope this helps. BTW, we don't mind climbing over each other, but did purchase a memory foam mattress topper as the mattress is not the best.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Just traded 2015 22e on Ford chassis with V-10. Never broke 9mpg. But then again, leaving the Chevys somewhere behind on the hills made up for it.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #18

THOR #6687
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #19

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6675
Smile I'm kinda stuck on the 22E myself.

Looking at both used and new. Since we're in a Toyota Micro now, the 22E looks huge to us. About 10 mpg seems to be the hard fact. I get about 15 mpg on the Toyota. But if you do the numbers, you have to drive a lot to save even $1000 a year between the two. Something like over 12000 miles. If you're thinking carbon footprint that's one thing but pure wallet doesn't make all that much difference. Plus you got power when you need it. That's the way I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Just traded 2015 22e on Ford chassis with V-10. Never broke 9mpg. But then again, leaving the Chevys somewhere behind on the hills made up for it.
Have you driven the new 29FE enough yet to make a comparison in fuel economy or performance compared to smaller 22E?

The 29FE must be considerably heavier, and a little longer, but beyond that similar in other aspects. Just wondering how that extra weight affects your MPGs or hill climbing speed.