Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Four Winds/Chateau quality?

I am thinking about buying a Four Winds or possibly a Chateau but I have a concern that the experience and wisdom of this group can address.

I currently own a Forest River 2250 Sunseeker and overall I am very pleased with it, the local dealer not so much, but 20 minutes from home. We would like something a little larger, especially the bathroom and shower.

There are several Thor dealers within an hour or less from my home.

I have no personal experience with Thor products other than looking at an Axis which we found to seem cheaply built inside. Hence, no sale.

I have read many horror stories about Thor Class A motorhomes quality or lack of it.

I do not recall reading anything negative about the Four Winds/Chateau models.

So, is there much to worry about?

Thank you,

Bobby

Old 10-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I purchased a 2015 Chateau in August. I put 6,000 miles on it since then. The only things I noticed that I would say happens with most RVs is loose screws. The coach runs great ( trips to Texas and North Carolina). Gas mileage is between 6.5 in the mountains and 9.0 going across Kansas. We love out 28F..
Old 10-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

THOR #3069
Thanks for that. I am hoping the C's are much better than their A's. We plan to visit a dealer this coming week.

I bought my current RV in August. It was slightly used and the only real problem is they have to replace the propane tank under warranty due to a crack and leak.

Not even a loose screw. (Other than the owner.)

I am getting 9.6 MPH average in local and highway driving, including occasional use of the generator. We live in a hilly area. The Chevy readout on the dash says we are averaging 10.7 MPH but that is probably from the first mile until my 8200 miles.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I would say it's likely no better or no worse than any other coach of the same price category.
a few are lemons
and some are ok
and most are in between with lots of little things like loose and missing screws that really aren't that big of a deal... unless you're not at all handy in which case you might call it a lemon
Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
FYI... I always wondered what the difference was between the Four Winds and the Chateau. We recently toured the factory in Elkhart and found out that the only difference is the color schemes. They do this so that they can have two dealers in the same area but not selling the same models. It allows the dealers to say they are the exclusive Four Winds dealer or the exclusive Chateau dealer.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Owning a 23U, nothing major only small items. again loose screws, bathroom door did close, shortened those screws, gas stove igniter broken. the detailer spraying silicon inside the jensen radio. The dealer replaced that. No major issues.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #7

THOR #3069
Well these replies take some of my apprehension away. There is a Thor dealer in Delaware that offers great prices on new units. We plan to visit him this week. No pressure sales, no games. We were there once before and probably should have bought a unit we saw but at the time I was not into getting a class C.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:59 AM   #8

State: Louisiana
THOR #3181
Right now, we are comparing two similar units - 2015 Super C Chateau 33w and 2016 Four Winds 31w.

Both are new units, pricing is just $20,000 difference to have the diesel. I'm trying to decide if the Ford V-10 will have enough power or if I should go for the diesel which is both quieter and has less internal storage.

Any owners of either units that can give suggestions?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have a 2012 23u and so far hardly any problems. We did buy it with 1600 miles so may have been debugged. The dealer we bought it from was re selling for the original owner and this dealer is great they go over all their rvs with a fine tooth comb before they let them out the door, great dealer. I would by a Four Winds again.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Mine is a different floor plan, but my 2 cents.....

We like our 31L floor plan a lot (plentiful counter space and cabinet space, and great TV location relative to dinette and sofa)

But If I would have had the money I would have chosen the similar floor plan in Super C in a second!

The superc floor plan just like mine has larger tanks and more importantly much more weight capacity and towing capacity.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #11

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Mine is a different floor plan, but my 2 cents.....

We like our 31L floor plan a lot (plentiful counter space and cabinet space, and great TV location relative to dinette and sofa)

But If I would have had the money I would have chosen the similar floor plan in Super C in a second!

The superc floor plan just like mine has larger tanks and more importantly much more weight capacity and towing capacity.
I agree 100% with these comments. We also have the 31L and love it. BUT, we did look at a Super C and really liked it but it was WAY more expensive.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #2366
We have the 35SK super C and I am getting 12.1 mpg and the engine is far from being broken in. I like the fact that it is 50amp and we have 2 a/c units. The residential fridge is way bigger and cools much better than any rv unit. Since it is on an F550 chassis, which is a pickup, the engine is out in front, not between the front passengers like the E450 and similar chassis. This means more room in the cab, quieter and cooler since the heat from the engine doesn't come into the cab. Add to that we can tow just about anything! We are limited only by the 10,000lb hitch.

Just my 2 cents,

Fred
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #13

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
We have the 35SK super C and I am getting 12.1 mpg and the engine is far from being broken in. I like the fact that it is 50amp and we have 2 a/c units. The residential fridge is way bigger and cools much better than any rv unit. Since it is on an F550 chassis, which is a pickup, the engine is out in front, not between the front passengers like the E450 and similar chassis. This means more room in the cab, quieter and cooler since the heat from the engine doesn't come into the cab. Add to that we can tow just about anything! We are limited only by the 10,000lb hitch.

Just my 2 cents,

Fred
But the Super C costs more than 2 cents more. Just sayin'
Old 11-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
We have the 2015 Four Winds 31W. The Super C was out of our price range, and I didn't think we'd put enough miles on it to make the diesel advantages obvious. However, I get between 7-8 mpg vs. the higher diesel mileage. I like the van front end better than the truck... but we are only towing either a fiberglass dune buggy or Subaru forester, so we aren't limited by the capacity. .

Be aware- the residential fridge requires definite battery additions if you want to dry camp. We ended up adding 400W solar panels and three extra house batteries to make it work for us.

Overall- very happy with the 31W.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 29G
State: Ohio
THOR #3019
We purchased our Chateau 29G in early October. Took it on a "shake-down" cruise and pretty much everything worked properly. Only a couple of issues. The tires only had 45 p.s.f. of air pressure, which the dealer took care of by inflating them to the proper 75 front / 80 rear. The external connector for the gas grill was installed so close to the bottom of the coach it was fouling with the body and we could not connect the gas line to the grill. The dealer moved the gas line while we were standing there. That took about 10 minutes. We have the 6.8L V10 and are getting high 8's to low 9's on the mpg. For what it's worth, the dealer told us that the Chateau is a better quality unit than the Four Winds... but then he IS a Salesman. Many thanks to the folks on this Forum for helping us with a "PDI List of questions" that really helped us have the Dealer answer many questions that we would never have thought to ask.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappadeaux View Post
For what it's worth, the dealer told us that the Chateau is a better quality unit than the Four Winds... but then he IS a Salesman.
We took a tour of the factory in early October and specifically asked this question. We were told that the ONLY difference is the color schemes available. Everything else is the same. He said the only reason they have both the Chateau and Four Winds is so that they can have two dealers in the same city and they can both be "exclusive". One will have Chateau and the other will have the Four Winds. They are both built on the same line with the same people and the same everything. Don't believe salesmen.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
We have the 2015 Four Winds 31W. The Super C was out of our price range, and I didn't think we'd put enough miles on it to make the diesel advantages obvious. However, I get between 7-8 mpg vs. the higher diesel mileage. I like the van front end better than the truck... but we are only towing either a fiberglass dune buggy or Subaru forester, so we aren't limited by the capacity. .

Be aware- the residential fridge requires definite battery additions if you want to dry camp. We ended up adding 400W solar panels and three extra house batteries to make it work for us.

Overall- very happy with the 31W.
I've got the Chateau 31W and was getting it ready for dry camping. So since these models already come with two house batteries does that mean you are now using a total of five?. Did you out them in the storage compartment that has the "mud room" feature?
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #18

THOR #1556
I've been pleased with my 2015 Chateau. The only major problems that were noticed during the PDI were the sewer drain was at an angle that made it impossible to get a hose on it. They fixed it by over cutting the hole in the compartment floor by an inch and then put a metal ring over it to reduce it back to normal size but in the right position. Also had to remove freezer door to lower shelf so ice maker could operate. Other wise just some minor cosmetic things I've done myself like straightening cabinet doors, about 8 of them
RVI Brake2
Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
We initially added two extra batteries (total of four), and yes we put them in the storage compartment (mud room). Then we realized that there was extra space in the compartment to fit one more, so I figured what the heck and added the last one.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

THOR #1556
With that set up can you get a couple of hours of TV watching each night? I don't draw much off the batteries just some water pump and occasional led ceiling light but was hoping to use TV with my direct satellite in the evening. Daytime I don't have a problem running generator for what ever I need
RVI Brake2