Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #6470
The Freedom Elite Class C Motorhomes.

Hello, I'm new here and would love some information/feedback concerning the Freedom Elite Class C Motorhomes. I just noticed on the Resources sticky that the Freedom Elite Motorhomes are retired! What exactly does that mean, and why are dealerships still selling them if they're retired?

I have read some really bad reviews on the Freedom Elite Class C Motorhomes, mostly regarding extensive water leaks. There are some Camperworld's selling them at a low price, so I'm wondering if it's because they have been retired because of serious issues. I've been considering purchasing one because of the attractive price, BUT should I steer clear of the Freedom Elite? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #2

THOR #6470
P. S. - Can anyone tell me if the 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 29FE has the new 6-speed transmission and the roller shades. The hitch rating seems to be 8,000 lb. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:37 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I have a 2017 26fe and it is great. If they discontinue them the other options are much higher priced so I bet that helps the used value of my Freedom Elite.

Sometime in 2016 they switched the trans. Mine has the 6 speed. The easy way to tell is if you look on the dash where it shows what gear you are in the 5 speed has a 1 2 3 and on the 6 speed its has a 1 2 4.

Its very common for the coach to be a different year then the chassis. My 2017 has a 2016 chassis.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new MH!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #5

THOR #6491
How do I drain hot water tank in our 2017 freedom elite
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #6

THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
How do I drain hot water tank in our 2017 freedom elite
once all pressure has been removed from the water system there is a large white plastic screw in plug that you access on the outside in the water heater panel. Remove the plug from the side of the tank and the tank drains.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #7

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Directions from the Atwood water heater manual:

To insure the best performance of your water heater and add to the life of the tank, periodically drain and flush the water heater tank. Before long term storage or freezing weather drain and flush the tank.

1. Turn off main water supply (the pump or water supply hook up source).

2. Drain water heater tank by removing the drain plug. If the water flows sporadically or trickles instead of a steady stream of water, we recommend the following action; first open the pressure temperature relief valve to allow air into the tank and secondly, take a small gauge wire or coat hanger and poke through the drain opening to eliminate any obstructions.

3. After draining the tank, because of the placement of the drain plug, approximately two quarts of water will remain in the tank. This water contains most of the harmful corrosive particles. To remove these harmful corrosive particles flush the tank with either air or water. Whether using air or water pressure, it may be applied through the inlet or outlet on the rear of the tank or the pressure temperature relief valve. (If using the pressure temperature relief valve the support flange must be removed). The pressure will force out the remaining water and the corrosive particles.
If you use water pressure, pump fresh water into the tank with the assistance of the on-board pump or use external water for 90 seconds to allow the fresh water to agitate the stagnant water on the bottom of the tank and force deposits through the drain opening. Continue repeating adding water and draining until the particles have been cleared from the water remaining in the tank.

4. Replace the drain plug and close the pressure temperature relief valve.
The approximately two quarts of water remaining in the tank after draining
will not cause damage to the tank should freezing occur.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My understanding was that the Freedom Elite motorhomes are the same as the Chateau or Four Winds. They are just given a different brand name for certain dealers. Is this correct?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
We bought a Freedom Elite two years ago. It's made by Thor for Camping World. Not sure if it's being discontinued or not but I can tell you we've been happy with ours. It's our third RV - we previously had a pull trailer (24 years) and then an Itasca Class C (15 years) so we are experienced RV owners. My only advice to a new owner is to inspect your vehicle regularly (even during non-use periods) and repair whatever needs it as soon as possible. Regular inspections and maintenance are key to enjoyment in my opinion and will save you time and money when on vacation.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Thor Elite

I just purchased a Thor Elite Freedom Elite 30FE (new model) from Camping World. The name and model is specific to Camping World and is similar to the Chateau and Fourwinds so I am told by a salesman.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 AM   #11

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Directions from the Atwood water heater manual:

To insure the best performance of your water heater and add to the life of the tank, periodically drain and flush the water heater tank. Before long term storage or freezing weather drain and flush the tank.

1. Turn off main water supply (the pump or water supply hook up source).

2. Drain water heater tank by removing the drain plug. If the water flows sporadically or trickles instead of a steady stream of water, we recommend the following action; first open the pressure temperature relief valve to allow air into the tank and secondly, take a small gauge wire or coat hanger and poke through the drain opening to eliminate any obstructions.

3. After draining the tank, because of the placement of the drain plug, approximately two quarts of water will remain in the tank. This water contains most of the harmful corrosive particles. To remove these harmful corrosive particles flush the tank with either air or water. Whether using air or water pressure, it may be applied through the inlet or outlet on the rear of the tank or the pressure temperature relief valve. (If using the pressure temperature relief valve the support flange must be removed). The pressure will force out the remaining water and the corrosive particles.
If you use water pressure, pump fresh water into the tank with the assistance of the on-board pump or use external water for 90 seconds to allow the fresh water to agitate the stagnant water on the bottom of the tank and force deposits through the drain opening. Continue repeating adding water and draining until the particles have been cleared from the water remaining in the tank.

4. Replace the drain plug and close the pressure temperature relief valve.
The approximately two quarts of water remaining in the tank after draining
will not cause damage to the tank should freezing occur.

Thank all done.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
There are four basic brands: Freedom Elite, Four Winds, Chateau, and Quantum. The Freedom Elite is specific to Camping World while the other three are sometimes dealer specific. The Four Winds and Chateau are very close to one another whereas the Quantum has some upgrades like gloss cabinets and painted graphics as options. Pricing is pretty similar when optioned the same way if you compare by region as long as you don't compare to volume discount dealers who can take larger markdowns and still make a reasonable profit. Camping World is likely a volume dealer so the pricing as expected can be deeper discounted.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #13

THOR #10036
Rear Bumper not level

We went back to the dealer to fix a few bugs and answer some questions.
They leveled the bumper and when we got home it was cock up again.
What could be wrong. It is a new 2018 e 350 v10
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doghouse View Post
What could be wrong.
Are you sure the bumper is not level. On mine it is an illusion. The body trim piece just above the bumper is not level and makes it look like the bumper is not level.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Was this the Technician who leveled it?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1518700827
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marty-feldman.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	9051  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #16

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Hi Doghouse: exact same issue with my 18 22fe. Coach is level but bumper was off one and half inches from end to end, measured on level concrete pad. C.W. adjusted the bumper and still off 3/4" but without removing the bumper and slotting out more metal on it, that's the way it's gona sit with me as I have no way of slotting them out even if I did remove it. Guess if someone did remove and have access to machine shop mill equipment, then it could be done but this would be very expensive fix to pay someone to do this.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
THOR #10771
I just purchased a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE. Does anyone know of a vendor for a keyless entry system for this RV? The RV lock on this unit is larger than the standard lock. I have searched online but can’t find anything like the lock on the door. My local Camping World was no help!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #18

Model: 22E
State: Oregon
THOR #10808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythesea View Post
I have read some really bad reviews on the Freedom Elite Class C Motorhomes, mostly regarding extensive water leaks. There are some Camperworld's selling them at a low price, so I'm wondering if it's because they have been retired because of serious issues. I've been considering purchasing one because of the attractive price, BUT should I steer clear of the Freedom Elite? Thanks for your help.
ByTheSea: For what it is worth, we've had our Freedom Elite 22E for two years and not had any water leaks. There have been issues (like all RV's), but Camping World takes care of them all for the first year. Our 22e is probably one of the least expensive RV's available and I'm glad it was there so I could get our family into RV'ing without putting out too much money or taking a gamble on a used one. Since they are so inexpensive, you're not going to get the fit and finish of a more pricey model. But, you will get all the basics covered.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Freedom elite

If the Fredom Elite has been retired why are there 2018 models for sale. Saw 2018 30FE at RV Show in Little Rock Arkansas this month. Few changes from my 2017 30FE.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #20

THOR #4282
I was a little afraid to buy a freedom elite. Started researching and it seems pretty much all the manufactures have similar issues in quality control. Even the 200,000 rvs. So I figured at least buying a low end RV I will feel better if I have issues.

That said I have had mine for a year and half and 23k miles with no problems other then the cheap coach battery that I had to replace after 6 months.