Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Freezing weather conditions

I'm heading into some 20 degree weather and was wondering should I drain my water tank or keep it pretty full in my Thor chateau. I am leaving the water lines drip at night but was wondering about the overall tank is it better to store it full or empty for a few weeks to avoid a crack.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
I'm heading into some 20 degree weather and was wondering should I drain my water tank or keep it pretty full in my Thor chateau. I am leaving the water lines drip at night but was wondering about the overall tank is it better to store it full or empty for a few weeks to avoid a crack.
if it is only for a short period of time like overnight a full tank dripping from the drain port would work. If its days I would worry and just drain it.. I would also be very careful with the hot water tank. Either leave it on or drain it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree!
But isn't the whole point of having an RV: the ability to avoid freezing weather?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #4

THOR #7430
Thanks. I will drain the hot water and drip the water from the faucets while it's in storage for a few weeks. Hate to winterize it for 2 weeks but you never know in Columbus it could be 71 day 17 the next. Thanks
Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

THOR #7430
The faucets when they drip I have the pump on but if I'm gone is it okay to shut the pump off and just open the faucet with a drip Plus the outside
Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Thanks. I will drain the hot water and drip the water from the faucets while it's in storage for a few weeks. Hate to winterize it for 2 weeks but you never know in Columbus it could be 71 day 17 the next. Thanks
If you are not in the rv and rv is not warm dripping the faucets is not going to help. you have no way to drip the toilet. you also have to worry about the waste tanks.

Have you every winterized with a air compressor. That's how I do mine. I take trips from Chicago to Florida a few times each winter and I just use the air compressor to blow out the lines on my way back home. only take about 15 minutes and the little compressors work great for it and we dump the waste tanks before we come home and use RV antifreeze to use the toilet. I never put antifreeze in my water lines.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree!
But isn't the whole point of having an RV: the ability to avoid freezing weather?
I know LOL I was forced to come back from the desert in Arizona to do my taxes in Ohio! Can't wait to get back out there.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is the time of the year when we're all:
"Deep in The Heart, of Taxes"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6431
I am one of the 100 of thousands in the northeast with no power. I fired up my challenger a day before the storm hit and filled the water tank with 100 gallons of water and what I do while using the motor home is I put a small space heater in the water control. They advertise it saying that if the temp is 70 degrees in the cabin, the basement will be 70 degrees don't believe it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
From reading all of the OP posts I assume he is asking about storing in cold temps for a period of time. If this is the case then the RV needs to be properly winterized. Traps and toilets for pretty unforgiving if you simply drain the tanks and let it sit in 20 degree temps storing it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Winterizing ??

In response to?? re winterizing if you don't empty the lines and the water pump is not empty you will crack the pipes somewhere and damage the water pump so that it leaks. slowly. I replaced the water pump after a previous owner allowed it freeze. It took us a while to figure out where the leak was in our Thor.. At first we figured it was simply condensation coming off a low point in the rig when we spotted the wet spot on the ground near the fresh water tank drain. Dismantling the area where the pump was and then operating it allowed us to detect the weeping area. Replacing the pump it was obvious it was previously frozen fitting.

I agree weather near freezing is a pain, I am about to dig my rig out of a snowbank for our first trips of 2018. It still has blown out lines and antifreeze in the bottoms of various tanks, sinks and toilets.

Rocky