Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Fresh water tank fill switching valve

What a PIA it is to haul the hose around to the opposite side of the coach every couple of days to put fresh water in the tank for traveling and boondocking. I am going to fit a 3 way valve or valves near the pump and tank to add fresh water. Whoever decided to put the tank fill on the opposite side of the hookups was not a camper or either the numbers people called the shots.
If anyone has found an easier solutions, I am open for ideas.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I found it odd that the fresh water fill was on the passenger side.

Seems to me you could just run a bypass that would go backwards over the pump with a single valve on it: open the valve and the pressure water from the system would flow backwards into the tank (only open the valve when the city water hookup is used). Could even plumb that into the winterizing port.

You could even use a 12V Solenoid Valve (see here: http://www.amazon.com/12V-Solenoid-V.../dp/B007R9U9BM ) and wire it up to a switch (so you wouldn't have to crack open a panel everytime you'd want to fill).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

THOR #1249
Will have to take a closer look at the plumbing arrangement under the bunk. I'm sure there is an easy way to connect to the tank. I don't mind lifting the bunk and lid to access the tank as I would rather see how much water is in the tank than to depend on the lights. I like to travel with approx. 1/3 to 1/2 tank.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
My water fill is on the driver's side.

I am sure it has a lot to do with tank location, and the location of the tank probably has a lot to do with floorplan.

Thor just designed a new floorplan - 29G which is essentially a 28Z like mine but with a slide out in the rear berth. The slide necessitated rotating the bed 90deg, which necessitated moving the fresh water tank under the jack-knife sofa, which resulted in the water fill on the passenger side.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I stumbled on an interesting boondocking blog today. Talked about adding a valve at the shower so that long wait for the hot water would flow into the fresh tank rather than the grey.
They talked about either a mual or a 12V solinoid.
I thought it was an outstanding idea since my Greg tank is our limitation...... And it could be used for filling the fresh tank too.